Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2018, 10:29 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,181,890 times

Advertisements

So the tissue paper is still stuck to the blower which means it does work well and blows air all the time. Which made think what if i put a dryer sheet there. That way the air would make my apt smell like fresh laundry versus weed the next time my neighbor smoked?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Ummm..
Let us know.....
You may be on to something
NEW YORK
I gave Reps.
Thanks! The thing is apartment living is communal living. You may not like what your neighbors are doing and they may be even breaking the buildings rules but you have to try to resolve things the best you can. If you tried multiple ways and still no change, then you can b*tch about it. Thats my phylosophy at least.

I'll do some shopping this weekend. I actually don't own any dryer sheets cause I don't want to put chemicals and animal fat on my clothes. I did some research though and they have some "natural ones". Eucalyptus & Lavender.....So at the very least my bathroom should have a calmer smell.

I'm going to try both the dryer sheets and magnet sheets Henna suggested. I'll report back and let you all know how they work.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:48 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,840,879 times
You cannot put individual bathroom vent fans in an apartment for the simple reason that pressurizing the air going INTO the vent will blow the smell of a hearty dump into nearby apartments whose fans are not running. These venting fans are for individual homes vented directly outdoors, not apartment complexes venting into a communal duct.

Our building, with now terrific suction, FORBIDS anyone from using a bathroom fan or a kitchen vented hood...$100 finel

Old 05-12-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
You cannot put individual bathroom vent fans in an apartment for the simple reason that pressurizing the air going INTO the vent will blow the smell of a hearty dump into nearby apartments whose fans are not running. These venting fans are for individual homes vented directly outdoors, not apartment complexes venting into a communal duct.

Our building, with now terrific suction, FORBIDS anyone from using a bathroom fan or a kitchen vented hood...$100 finel
I'm so confused by this? And why you are bringing this up? I'm not installing a fan, I'm trying to figure out how to cover an air vent to not get my neighbors smells in my apartment

Old 05-12-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I'm so confused by this? And why you are bringing this up? I'm not installing a fan, I'm trying to figure out how to cover an air vent to not get my neighbors smells in my apartment

My post is pretty much in response to post #13 where energystream advises a bathroom vent fan tied to the light switch.

Old 05-12-2018, 04:30 PM

18,360 posts, read 31,439,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
So the tissue paper is still stuck to the blower which means it does work well and blows air all the time. Which made think what if i put a dryer sheet there. That way the air would make my apt smell like fresh laundry versus weed the next time my neighbor smoked?

the dryer sheet sounds like a good idea, plus the nice smell as well, but are dryer sheets solid or are they mesh like, meaning can air go thru them, sort of like a screen.

I havent bought a dryer sheets in deacades, so I dont remember.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
the dryer sheet sounds like a good idea, plus the nice smell as well, but are dryer sheets solid or are they mesh like, meaning can air go thru them, sort of like a screen.

I'll let you all know once I get them. I may not get to getting them till this week. Unless I can quickly make it to the store tomorrow.

Maybe I could also try spraying water out of a sprayer to wet it to get the scent out every so often. We'll see it will be my science experiment.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

The smell of dryer sheets most remind me of Auschwitz and lung cancer.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
The ones most people use are made of animal fat and chemicals. So maybe that's why they smell like death and cancer.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:27 PM

18,360 posts, read 31,439,029 times
Quote:

I dont know what they are made of, but I do not ever use fabric softner, ever. It is one of the most toxic things to use. They also coat the towels with something, thus making the absorbtion of water, less absorbant.

maybe dryer sheets are made with the same chemicals, IDK, but like I said earlier, havent bought dryer sheets in decades.

but we will see how the "science project " goes.
Im kinda curious to see myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: