Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 04:25 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Actually, it's quite profitable. Someone had their check payment to Con Ed fished and later was notified that the check was altered to someone else's name in the payment of 10 K. And yep, the bank let it go through!

It's fairly common that tellers don't really check and give the excuse that they see dozens of checks pass thru per day and can't possibly check each one thoroughly.

Apparently, the police have said to write all checks using a particular pen type (I forget the brand and model no.) that cannot be easily altered/erased when mailing in checks. Jeesh.

Most tellers are only looking to see if name on checks/money orders or whatever matches that on account and some other information checks out. If the instrument looks obviously suspect many will call a supervisor or manager to take a second look.

That being said people have been passing bad/forged/fraudulent instruments for ages. Sometimes a teller catches things, others it is the back office and or when drawn item hits withdrawal account that things hit the fan.

Besides when you look at the usual suspects committing these crimes a teller (or bank) is caught between a rock and hard place sometimes.

Have stood in a bank or store line while some eegit was holding things up trying to pass a bad check/using stolen or whatever CC/debit card. It didn't take them long after being refused to play the "you are doing this because I'm black" card. In one instance the teller, his supervisor and bank manager on duty all were AA and said race had nothing to do with things. The check was suspect (if I overheard correctly white out or some sort of erasure was apparent), and they weren't going to accept it period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 04:27 PM

3,958 posts, read 2,573,640 times
Quote:
Tell that to my mom's condo mgmt company. They don't have a payment online option so every month, I have to mail in a check and make a special trek to the post office to post it. And yep, recently the check either got lost or stolen and I had to do a stop pmt and fight with the mgmt company not to slap on a late fee charge.
My bank has a service called bill pay where you can pay for any bill through the bank. After you set it up with name, address etc, they will send a check either electronically for bigger companies or a check through the mail. They get the check from your bank and you no longer have to go to the Post Office.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:35 PM

3,958 posts, read 2,573,640 times
Quote:
<snip>

Apparently, the police have said to write all checks using a particular pen type (I forget the brand and model no.) that cannot be easily altered/erased when mailing in checks. Jeesh.
From the article in your 1st post: permanent or pigmented ink

I suppose they're talking about the permanent markers you use on poster board. Or Sharpies possibly are permanent ink too? I don't believe any ballpoint pens are permanent ink.

Anyone know what pigmented ink is or where you find it?

Old 05-14-2019, 04:41 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
My bank has a service called bill pay where you can pay for any bill through the bank. After you set it up with name, address etc, they will send a check either electronically for bigger companies or a check through the mail. They get the check from your bank and you no longer have to go to the Post Office.

Yes, but as you say those online bill payment services only send electronic payments to large businesses/corporations/utilities etc..., and or those who have signed up for the service. Otherwise the service does nothing more than cut a check and mail it to the payee. That is nothing more than what anyone can do themselves.

Problems start when or if the bill pay electronic check never arrives or does so late. Many NYC landlords don't accept online payments and or tell tenants if their rent doesn't arrive on time regardless of method used to send payment, they will be charged late fees and or begin eviction proceedings for non-payment until funds arrive.

So now the bank online bill pay has already deducted funds to send first check. So unless you are flush enough to write another and wait for the "not received by intended payee" process to play out, you're screwed.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:18 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
From the article in your 1st post: permanent or pigmented ink

I suppose they're talking about the permanent markers you use on poster board. Or Sharpies possibly are permanent ink too? I don't believe any ballpoint pens are permanent ink.

Anyone know what pigmented ink is or where you find it?
This pen is supposed to be permanent on checks. https://www.amazon.com/uni-ball-Retr.../dp/B079SBHMYP

I guess the key is that the ink has to be pigmented - which these pens have. I thought a sharpie would be safe but apparently not. The chemicals they are using are acetone (not just washing in water).

Old 05-14-2019, 06:15 PM

32 posts, read 18,931 times
This is actually a jail scam.! !

The NYPD is not realizing that actual inmates locked up right now are using those peoples information from the stolen mail to file actual income taxes and get funds deposited to them so they can acess when they "come home" or take care of ppl on the outside.

They are most likely the ones behind the theft somehow, someway.
This is an extremely profitable scam.
They actually sell whats called "scrolls" because the information is written in pen on toilet paper.

Everyone is too busy credit card scamming.
This method seems too outdated and too much work (hassle of getting caught).

The main reason their doing this contrary to NYPD belief is not for 'washing'.
This is an inmate population thing the outside world does'nt even realize we have a problem with.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:30 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This pen is supposed to be permanent on checks. https://www.amazon.com/uni-ball-Retr.../dp/B079SBHMYP
That's it! I recognize the brand name Uniball. It's supposed to prevent washing, fading and fraud. lol.
Thanks.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:37 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
That's it! I recognize the brand name Uniball. It's supposed to prevent washing, fading and fraud. lol.
Thanks.
I think you just have to make sure it's gel ink one. Not sure if Uniball makes other pens that are not gel ink.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:50 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
lol! My thoughts exactly. I never laughed so much when I saw that pic. Jeesh. How desperate or foolish can you be?!
Drove around in Brooklyn last week and witnessed about
20 immigrants all hanging out at a street corner
waiting for work. Anything is possible............when you are hungry...

Old 05-15-2019, 07:56 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
deblasio!

Opinion:
Dear Mayor Blah Blah blasio...........

Our Sanctuary City is there to help everybody not for everybody to help themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: