Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 08:35 PM

12,776 posts, read 8,243,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
We ate the chicken. We ate the mis-battered pieces, and we ate the pieces that were taken from under the heat lamp. Or took boxes home. This was a bonus to our low pay.

Fries are not something to donate and yeah, it is a big deal for them to sit too long under a heat lamp. They have a very short shelf life to taste good.

How long would you leave yours on 'warm' in the oven and they still taste wonderful?

When a place is operating properly, they know how much to cook in advance so there is not much waste. During non-peak times, we cooked very small batches to walk the line of not making people wait, but not throwing away a ton either.
That's good that at least some of it was eaten. I love fries Belgian style with mayo. I had some last week in the oven in fact with a pesto grilled cheese sandwich with cherry tomatoes. The fries sat in the oven as I made the sandwiches. They were just fine. I'd say maybe 5 - 10 minutes, but no more than that. I may make some tonight when I get in as a little snack with Sir Kensington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 08:47 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,518,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
That's good that at least some of it was eaten. I love fries Belgian style with mayo. I had some last week in the oven in fact with a pesto grilled cheese sandwich with cherry tomatoes. The fries sat in the oven as I made the sandwiches. They were just fine. I'd say maybe 5 - 10 minutes, but no more than that. I may make some tonight when I get in as a little snack with Sir Kensington.
I think the way you make them would taste good for longer than fried from frozen. I do something close to your method with red potatoes. A little bit of olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, I put some onion with mine, and saute it. I have a glass lid, so I can almost shake the pan to get them turned over and cooking evenly. Now I want THAT! You're a bad influence, because I don't have time to go buy any red potatoes!

I copied from a fine dining place that does them in the oven like you. For me, sauteing is easier.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:57 PM

12,776 posts, read 8,243,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I think the way you make them would taste good for longer than fried from frozen. I do something close to your method with red potatoes. A little bit of olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, I put some onion with mine, and saute it. I have a glass lid, so I can almost shake the pan to get them turned over and cooking evenly. Now I want THAT! You're a bad influence, because I don't have time to go buy any red potatoes!

I copied from a fine dining place that does them in the oven like you. For me, sauteing is easier.
You can do them in the oven. When I get potatoes the key is to get the olive oil hot before the potatoes are in the oil in the oven, this way they crisp up nice instead of drying out and the oil gets into the potatoes and flavors it intensely while keeping them moist. I use a very simple local GMO free olive oil form California and Italian sea salt. I haven't done them in a while because they're addictive and can be a bit fattening.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:14 PM

37,074 posts, read 39,216,153 times
Quote:
You can do them in the oven. When I get potatoes the key is to get the olive oil hot before the potatoes are in the oil in the oven, this way they crisp up nice instead of drying out and the oil gets into the potatoes and flavors it intensely while keeping them moist. I use a very simple local GMO free olive oil form California and Italian sea salt. I haven't done them in a while because they're addictive and can be a bit fattening.
Do you parboil first? I find that to be the easiest way to get them thoroughly cooked without drying out.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:17 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,518,497 times
Quote:
Yes, tell me about it. My ex and I gained when I perfected a different type, which we proceeded to cook every night. We were prepping them like for a restaurant. Doing the scrubbing and cutting for several nights worth, storing them in water in the fridge, and then it was easy and fast to have them with dinner.

Seriously, we were better off when we ate out more - getting addicted to those was bad news. I was deep frying in a mixture of olive oil and some other type more suited to higher temps. Timing and temperature is key, I agree.

In a way it is lucky I do not remember the details of those. The sauteing with a TINY bit of oil taste just as good to me, they just take more time and attention.

On purpose, I stepped down the amount of oil slowly to get used to lesser amounts. Now when I try to eat hasbrowns or 'breakfast potatoes' in a restaurant, the amount of oil seems insane. I'm like 'I have mouthfuls of grease, ew'. But before, I loved them.

Another way is to bake then 'fry'. Really, just browning with a very small amount of oil so they taste crispy fried on the outside.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:18 PM

17,875 posts, read 15,876,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflyguy View Post
They now have a few locations within NYC: Two on Sixth Ave. in Midtown, E. 42nd, Queens Center Mall and the little one on NYU's campus.
Oh, cool, I going to Queens center mall then. I live close enough.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:38 AM

7,902 posts, read 7,846,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Went to In-N-Out out west. Couldn't figure out what the fuss was about.
We have a copycat in n out here called Peteys Burger. Their burgers and fries are good imo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City