Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 05:35 PM

85 posts, read 104,242 times

Advertisements

i would avoid this area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 07:14 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
Parking in both Flatbush and mid wood is going to be a huge hassle. This is why most of the homes there have driveways.
There are parts of Midwood where street parking isn't terrible.

Areas around Avenue I and Avenue J near the Q train (East 16th Street or thereabouts) can be ok for street parking in some areas, because there are so many houses where people park in driveways, not on the street. It really depends on where in Midwood.

Some areas near Ocean Parkway and Kings Highway are ok as well for street parking, also due to the large homes.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:18 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
There are parts of Midwood where street parking isn't terrible.

Areas around Avenue I and Avenue J near the Q train (East 16th Street or thereabouts) can be ok for street parking in some areas, because there are so many houses where people park in driveways, not on the street. It really depends on where in Midwood.

Some areas near Ocean Parkway and Kings Highway are ok as well for street parking, also due to the large homes.
I find that some streets on Flatbush with the large homes still suffer from lack of parking

Old 05-14-2018, 07:18 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
You need to go take a look for yourself and walk around, get a feel for the neighborhood.

Be careful taking advice from this forum, several don't leave their home and just sit behind a computer all day reading articles from nypost or just remember how a neighborhood was 20 years ago.

Flatbush is forever changed, I've seen it blossom in the last 5 years. There are a few blocks here and there where you wouldn't want to walk by late at night, such as clarkson and 95th. Otherwise it's going through some real nice gentrification right now, with many beautiful condo's set to open soon.
This is very true around this board...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russianleo777 View Post
i would avoid this area
Exactly the point

Old 05-14-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I find that some streets on Flatbush with the large homes still suffer from lack of parking
Agreed.

The Midwood streets with big homes (around Avenue J for example) are easier for street parking.
Avenue M is pretty tough though.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:34 AM

34,016 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
Yes, I drive and cycle by dorchester regularly, when is the last time you've stepped foot in Flatbush?

I get out as often as any working and physically active New Yorker...

OP, midwood is a waste of commute to Flatbush.

If you were to google map and take a walk through Dorchester, you would realize it's borderline Ditmas park/Flathbush. Ditmas park is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in this part of Brooklyn, even more than Midwood, those colonial homes average anywhere from 1-2 million. It's also just as pleasant if not even nicer than Queens.

If you mention a country like Colombia, most people will tell you not to go there because of the history. However, it's one of the most developed, safest and beautiful latin countries I've ever been to.

I guess that's what happened to Flatbush, naive people will tell you not to step foot because of its history, without having been there recently.

Please experience the neighborhood for yourself.

I own a car, I pay for parking both at work and at home, I enjoy MTA outside of rush hour.
I'm in Flatbush all the time

Between Ocean and Flatbush are still blocks that are not safe at times

West of Ocean is where it actually starts getting decent

OP is not commuting to Flatbush, go Google where OP's workplace is located.

The parking sucks, and OP's potential apartment is located on the "bad" part of Dorchester Road

How is Midwood not a better option for the OP

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-14-2018, 11:35 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Agreed.

The Midwood streets with big homes (around Avenue J for example) are easier for street parking.
Avenue M is pretty tough though.
I guess with Flatbush and Kensington, there are simply too many large buildings mixed in with the homes. Very high population density in both.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:53 AM

Again, it really depends on where you are looking exactly.

Kensington parking is rough.

In Midwood there are pockets where you can easily find street parking, but other pockets where it's almost impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City