Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 07:01 AM

6 posts, read 2,956 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am currently searching for apartments in Brooklyn due to a new job position. I found an apartment in Docrchester Road, Flatbush and will be going to see the place this weekend. Before I go I have been trying to research the area myself. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the area? Is it good? Bad? my work schedule will be pretty long hours at the hospital which would have me leave and drive back the the apartment very early and very late at night. Is the area safe? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 07:39 AM

779 posts, read 999,789 times
You need to go take a look for yourself and walk around, get a feel for the neighborhood.

Be careful taking advice from this forum, several don't leave their home and just sit behind a computer all day reading articles from nypost or just remember how a neighborhood was 20 years ago.

Flatbush is forever changed, I've seen it blossom in the last 5 years. There are a few blocks here and there where you wouldn't want to walk by late at night, such as clarkson and 95th. Otherwise it's going through some real nice gentrification right now, with many beautiful condo's set to open soon.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:56 AM

Thanks, I will take a look this weekend. Planning to get a feel for it.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:59 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,874,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You've been on Dorchester Road lately? How well do you know that particular part of Flatbush? 95th and Clarkson is East Flatbush, not Flatbush. Totally different. How often do you get out?

OP, Midwood is a safer neighborhood and possibly you can find something within walking distance of your job (saving money on public transportation). You'll be no more than a few train stops away for nightlife.

Stop giving this transplant native advice.
OP said they own a car so no public transportation needed.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:13 AM

Yes I am interested to know how parking is in the area.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:20 AM

33,691 posts, read 46,921,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindMunroe View Post
Yes I am interested to know how parking is in the area.
Lol I have family that live in the area, parking is rough if you don't have dedicated off-street parking

You think its bad now wait until it snows

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-13-2018, 10:24 AM

Really?? I was hoping that the street parking wouldn’t be that bad Lolol . Driving to the hospital would be easier for me. But I will have to think it over if I like the place and area.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:51 AM

33,691 posts, read 46,921,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindMunroe View Post
Really?? I was hoping that the street parking wouldn’t be that bad Lolol . Driving to the hospital would be easier for me. But I will have to think it over if I like the place and area.
Thats y I am saying go with Midwood, ditch the car, I live in Queens thats y I got a car, and mine is paid off with off street parking. In Brooklyn I would not own a car unless I had a driveway or an off street parking spot. The entire borough of Brooklyn that goes for. If I had a family in Brooklyn I would be paying the hundreds a month for a spot.

I know Brooklyn like the back of my hand - Flatbush will always have a problem with parking. Its a dense residential neighborhood, those blocks have buildings going for blocks, very few have garages, down like on East 21st, parking is a str8 nightmare

most of those buildings were built before cars really came out.....

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-13-2018, 01:40 PM

779 posts, read 999,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You've been on Dorchester Road lately? How well do you know that particular part of Flatbush? 95th and Clarkson is East Flatbush, not Flatbush. Totally different. How often do you get out?

OP, Midwood is a safer neighborhood and possibly you can find something within walking distance of your job (saving money on public transportation). You'll be no more than a few train stops away for nightlife.

Stop giving this transplant native advice.
Yes, I drive and cycle by dorchester regularly, when is the last time you've stepped foot in Flatbush?

I get out as often as any working and physically active New Yorker...

OP, midwood is a waste of commute to Flatbush.

If you were to google map and take a walk through Dorchester, you would realize it's borderline Ditmas park/Flathbush. Ditmas park is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in this part of Brooklyn, even more than Midwood, those colonial homes average anywhere from 1-2 million. It's also just as pleasant if not even nicer than Queens.

If you mention a country like Colombia, most people will tell you not to go there because of the history. However, it's one of the most developed, safest and beautiful latin countries I've ever been to.

I guess that's what happened to Flatbush, naive people will tell you not to step foot because of its history, without having been there recently.

Please experience the neighborhood for yourself.

I own a car, I pay for parking both at work and at home, I enjoy MTA outside of rush hour.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:59 PM

766 posts, read 504,545 times
Parking in both Flatbush and mid wood is going to be a huge hassle. This is why most of the homes there have driveways.

The deeper in Brooklyn, everybody has cars.

Find a building with Parking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City