Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 09:54 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
He is free to say whatever he wants. Other people used their freedom of speech to essentially demand his destruction.

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from the consequences of what you say. Constitutional freedome of speech means you can criticize the government without retribution. It does not mean private citizens cannot retaliate.
He didn't demand destruction.
Did not sayy freedom of consequences.

It's seems like a left over right issue.
They immediately labeled him a trump supporter .

I can say speak Greek. You may not likel it. Move on.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:55 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I know of a guy that said unsavory things about Israel. He got doxxed by someone. Being nyc where majority of the landlords are Jewish. Someone took screen shot of the comments and mailed it to the management company. The management company is Jewish runned and owned, and management no longer will renew his lease. His rent was decent too for the space and location. He had to find an apartment to within two months. The landlord also made it difficult for him to find an apartment because of what he said and will tell other management companies not to rent to him.

You don't want to loose your apartment, loose your job, expelled from college, divorced. At least folks are not going to prison for speech. Thank goodness. Once you get in the mud of things, all you get in dirty.
management no longer will renew his lease = isn't that against the law?

Old 05-18-2018, 09:55 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,421 times
Quote:
I know of a guy that said unsavory things about Israel. He got doxxed by someone. Being nyc where majority of the landlords are Jewish. Someone took screen shot of the comments and mailed it to the management company. The management company is Jewish runned and owned, and management no longer will renew his lease. His rent was decent too for the space and location. He had to find an apartment to within two months. The landlord also made it difficult for him to find an apartment because of what he said and will tell other management companies not to rent to him.

You don't want to loose your apartment, loose your job, expelled from college, divorced. At least folks are not going to prison for speech. Thank goodness. Once you get in the mud of things, all you get in dirty.

To be a grammar Nazi about your freedom of spelling: an easy way to remember which word to use is that loose rhymes with juice, and lose rhymes with muse.

You might loose the hounds, but you would lose your job.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
Are you American? Read the Constitution regarding freedom of speech. It says, in case you can't understand it, that Congress (which the Supreme ct has interpreted as any governmental agency, including state ones) can't abridge freedom of speech. So what the hell has that got to do with this?
He say whatever he wants. I may not like it, you may not like it. Move on.

Heard the saying:

"Sticks and stones may hurt my bones, but words don't hurt."

Old 05-18-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Freedom of speech exist, however with this left and right paradigm, freedom of speech now as consequences. Say something you like or go to a protest and chant something unsavory, your employer that believes in fire at will, will fire you.

For me just don't say fire or wolf in a theater or don't say anything treating with acts of violence. For me that is my limit for free speech. But for others, say something racial, bigoted, sexist, unpatriotic, religious, home phobic, Trans phobic, xenophobic. Folks will go into an uproar. I wish I can add classist and elitist, but the sjw left and conservatives abandoned the class war when trump became president.
I agree it's a left over right issue.
It seems they are trying to blow it out of proportion considering the political climate.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:05 AM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
He say whatever he wants. I may not like it, you may not like it. Move on.

Heard the saying:

"Sticks and stones may hurt my bones, but words don't hurt."
Great, he said it. The law doesn't discriminate him on this ground, but public opinion and the individual action of private citizens and entities do can do as they like within certain bounds. No one's crossing that boundary it seems so what are you even arguing here?

I think what we're confusing here is the idea that this is an issue brought about by politics and ideology. I do not believe that to be the case. What we have is something brought about by technology, by the ability to document, archive, search, and spread. In the past, your bad reputation had to pass through certain limited channels in order to be able to spread quickly. That bad reputation also in the past could have extremely unpleasant, though not legally discriminatory, repercussions. However, having that information be casually documented in a believable way and then having that spread to many channels was not really there. It is now and it reaches down into things as simple as a couple being able to go through text messages during an argument and say, "no! you were lying, look at this!" as proof. That kind of casual constant documentation and spread and reception on what feels like an almost infinite number of channels and undirected communication networks is what's new.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:08 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
To be a grammar Nazi about your freedom of spelling: an easy way to remember which word to use is that loose rhymes with juice, and lose rhymes with muse.

You might loose the hounds, but you would lose your job.
Lol. I'm typing from an Android phone. Sorry for the typo sjw, elitist, grammar-nazi you! Back to the topic you grammar-nazi. And grammar-nazi is one word now you grammar-nazi.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:14 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Look at this woman from the Port Authority of NY and NJ. She is one of the commissioners. She had to either resign or face the wrath of being fired. She was using white privilege, feminism, classism and elitism to get her children out of a police jam. She also tried to get the police officers of Tenafly who conducted the traffic stop fired.

Folks need to be very careful on how they conduct themselves when away from work.

https://youtu.be/S6vlu1FRaic

Old 05-18-2018, 10:16 AM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Look at this woman from the Port Authority of NY and NJ. She is one of the commissioners. She had to either resign or face the wrath of being fired. She was using white privilege, feminism, classism and elitism to get her children out of a police jam. She also tried to get the police officers of Tenafly who conducted the traffic stop fired.

Folks need to be very careful on how they conduct themselves when away from work.

https://youtu.be/S6vlu1FRaic
Yea, maybe she shouldn't have done that. Good that there are repercussions. So what's the solution? Is it maybe be less of an ass?

Old 05-18-2018, 10:18 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,468 times
Didn't really say anything racist. Ignorant yes. Voicing his opinion is still allowed per our constitution. However, he sounds like a jerk IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City