Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2018, 12:39 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,068,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Who you kidding black dude that went to two ivy league school that speaks Chinese and lives in Spain. I'd trade you in for 3 percentage points off the minority unemployment rate in a heartbeat.
I don't think Nywriterdude speaks Chinese. If one is Ivy League educated, using the term Chinese as a language is clearly wrong. Ivy League grad would be more specific in which type of Chinese language does he or she speak such as Mandarin or Cantonese, or Uygur which his Turkic!

Old 05-19-2018, 12:48 PM

37,238 posts, read 39,519,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I don't think Nywriterdude speaks Chinese. If one is Ivy League educated, using the term Chinese as a language is clearly wrong. Ivy League grad would be more specific in which type of Chinese language does he or she speak such as Mandarin or Cantonese, or Uygur which his Turkic!
That's not quite true. People generally, even when they are familiar with the multiple dialects and language sub-families that Chinese can refer to, use the phrase Chinese as shorthand for Mandarin and usually use the the name of the specific dialect to say otherwise. I'm going go out on a long outstretched limb here and say when most people who aren't Chinese refer to knowing how to speak Chinese are referring to Mandarin and not Hokkien or something.

And nobody refers to speaking Uygur as speaking Chinese. That's just ridiculous. If you guys want to test him out 我能跟他用普通話說說看看。

Old 05-19-2018, 12:53 PM

34,135 posts, read 47,363,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That's not quite true. People generally, even when they are familiar with the multiple dialects and language sub-families that Chinese can refer to, use the phrase Chinese as shorthand for Mandarin and usually use the the name of the specific dialect to say otherwise. I'm going go out on a long outstretched limb here and say when most people who aren't Chinese refer to knowing how to speak Chinese are referring to Mandarin and not Hokkien or something.

And nobody refers to speaking Uygur as speaking Chinese. That's just ridiculous. If you guys want to test him out 我能跟他用普通話說說看看。
This is the Internet bro. I can talk Mandarin too.

For all I know he got his GED

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-19-2018, 12:56 PM

37,238 posts, read 39,519,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
This is the Internet bro. I can talk Mandarin too.

For all I know he got his GED
Try using google translate if you'd like--it's not that hard to spot when someone can't really do it at this moment. That's partially because English and Chinese aren't really related to each other. The corpus of dual language English and Chinese texts is growing quickly though as are the techniques involved, so it'll probably be very good in a few years.

A possible scenario is that he (or anyone else) has learned Chinese to some degree and says the speak it, but their level of proficiency is pretty low since people have really different thresholds at which they start proclaiming they speak this or that language.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:11 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,005,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post

Dude, going to Ivy Leagues does not mean one is a super nerd. I can speak enough Chinese to order in a bar or restaurant. My Spanish is much better. I took a year and a half of Russian as an undergrad. I’m learning Hebrew. I’ve always loved languages and travel.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Try using google translate if you'd like--it's not that hard to spot when someone can't really do it at this moment. That's partially because English and Chinese aren't really related to each other. The corpus of dual language English and Chinese texts is growing quickly though as are the techniques involved, so it'll probably be very good in a few years.

A possible scenario is that he (or anyone else) has learned Chinese to some degree and says the speak it, but their level of proficiency is pretty low since people have really different thresholds at which they start proclaiming they speak this or that language.
I said I can do simple things in a Chinese. I took it for a year. So I can say my name, where I am from, greet people, ask for what I want, etc. My bartenders are Chinese do sometimes I practice with them ( there are a lot of Chinese here)

Old 05-19-2018, 01:13 PM

34,135 posts, read 47,363,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I said I can do simple things in a Chinese. I took it for a year,
Nihao Nihao

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-19-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Nihao Nihao
Hello is very easy. Ni Hao ma? Wo hen hao.

I’m using pin him as opposed to the characters, though I could speak to my IPhone and have it type out the characters,

Old 05-19-2018, 01:22 PM

782 posts, read 528,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The man was not crazy and you know it. The fact you refuse to unconditionally condemn what he did and try to claim mental illness is what’s wrong with the conservatives of today. There is no such mental illness that makes a man accuse women speaking Spanish or of being all illegals or in welfare. This is standard propaganda that has been repeated on this thread by some posters.
No one said mental illness except you. And what part of my post suggests that I think what this guy did was right? You have reading comprehension issues.

You’re the one obsessed with labeling people and pushing an agenda.

Btw, I’m not conservative.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:27 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,780,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
...you think all trump supporters feel the same way? And all conservatives?

And liberals? Are they also a monolith that thinks exactly the same about every issue?
I agree. I'd rep you if I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City