Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 12:42 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Reason why Bushwick was the fastest gentrifying ghetto in NYC has to do with it's continuous and unobstructed urban grid, which includes Bed-Stuy and Ridgewood, and it's largely mixed use landscape (you'll find residential, commercial, retail, and industrial zoning on adjacent blocks). In addition to what I said earlier about it's diversity of housing stock. Also very few high-rise NYCHA complexes in Bushwick.
Bushwick got a lot of NYCHA tho

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 01:45 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You think Chinese in Bensonhurst go to private schools? I seriously doubt it. Where, exactly? The only local private schools are Orthodox schuls and a few Russian and Catholic schools.
I misread your statement.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:48 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes. Latino and immigrant owned businesses in general anywhere in the city do. Ethnic restaurants have cheap food for starters. Delis and bodegas you can get beer from.
They also run a lot of those car service companies, some of which now double as ubers

Quote:
Reason why Bushwick was the fastest gentrifying ghetto in NYC has to do with it's continuous and unobstructed urban grid, which includes Bed-Stuy and Ridgewood, and it's largely mixed use landscape (you'll find residential, commercial, retail, and industrial zoning on adjacent blocks). In addition to what I said earlier about it's diversity of housing stock. Also very few high-rise NYCHA complexes in Bushwick.
I bet it helps that the streets are tight, too. Not too many highways or wide steets.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:19 PM

81 posts, read 179,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Places like the South Bronx, upper Manhattan, Bushwick, Bed Stuy, South Jamaica, etc.

Were there any white kids in the zoned public schools you went to?
No, most public schools I attended either had very few or none at all. I attended public schools in eastern/central Brooklyn, Harlem, and the South Bronx. They were exclusively black/latino, some more black some more Latin and others about even

Old 05-19-2018, 07:36 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
I bet it helps that the streets are tight, too. Not too many highways or wide steets.
That is what I meant by the unobstructed urban grid. Also no train tracks dividing the neighborhood or driveways splitting up blocks.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:47 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Bushwick got a lot of NYCHA tho
Not really. Less so than all the other surrounding Brooklyn neighborhoods. It is really just Hope Gardens, and those are only two story buildings. Even Williamsburg and Greenpoint have more PJs than Bushwick.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:47 PM

179 posts, read 109,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Everybody in Prospect Park South owns a dog now!

It is like night and day from when I was a kid in the 1980s

I remember when those blocks were really dangerous at night man....

Parade Place - forget it!

30 years ago I was having a drink on Cortelyou Rd. with a couple of West Indian guys affiliated with the Flatbush Development Corp.

We were talking about that corner of Flatbush east of the Parade Grounds - I mentioned I went to Boy Scouts on St Paul's Place - an Indo - Caribbean guy says " I saw my first shooting on St Paul's Place ".Rough times.

Last time I came through that Caton/Church area I noticed the increased Mexican presence - Our Lady of Guadalupe represented at Holy Innocents Church.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McVinney View Post
30 years ago I was having a drink on Cortelyou Rd. with a couple of West Indian guys affiliated with the Flatbush Development Corp.

We were talking about that corner of Flatbush east of the Parade Grounds - I mentioned I went to Boy Scouts on St Paul's Place - an Indo - Caribbean guy says " I saw my first shooting on St Paul's Place ".Rough times.

Last time I came through that Caton/Church area I noticed the increased Mexican presence - Our Lady of Guadalupe represented at Holy Innocents Church.
Neighboring Kensington has a larger Mexican presence than people give it credit for IMO. The area around Church and McDonald Ave is known for Bengalis, but I see as many Mexican kids walking around there as I do Bengali (I know that's anecdotal, but still).

Old 05-20-2018, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCaribenoEast View Post
No, most public schools I attended either had very few or none at all. I attended public schools in eastern/central Brooklyn, Harlem, and the South Bronx. They were exclusively black/latino, some more black some more Latin and others about even
That's interesting to think that a lot of black and Latino kids in Upper Manhattan, The Bronx, and Central/Eastern BK might not know a single white person growing up. Also some schools appear to be straight up black.

Even the white areas on Long Island that I'm familiae with have at least some minority kids.

Quote:
That is what I meant by the unobstructed urban grid. Also no train tracks dividing the neighborhood or driveways splitting up blocks.

And not too many tower in the parks either

Old 05-20-2018, 06:31 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
Quote:
That's interesting to think that a lot of black and Latino kids in Upper Manhattan, The Bronx, and Central/Eastern BK might not know a single white person growing up. Also some schools appear to be straight up black.

Even the white areas on Long Island that I'm familiae with have at least some minority kids.
There are not enough white kids in nyc public school system to spread around. Around 70% of students are black or hispanic. The biggest population of white kids are on Staten Island.

I am interested to see what radical plan the mayor and school chancellor comes up with to bring down the few high performing schools made up of mostly asian and white due to test admission needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City