Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 06:13 AM

19 posts, read 9,984 times

Advertisements

I really want to relocate to NYC. I'm currently in the Midwest. I strongly dislike my current location. At this time, NYC seems like the right place for me. I'm a sbf/30, but look closer to 24, based on the comments that I often get about my looks.

I'm just wondering which neighborhoods should I explore? Since I work from home, I'd love to find a nice building with some common area space. Usually, I like to complete my work at coffee shops and other spaces with people.

I'm just looking for a new beginning and hoping to make NYC home. At this time, I'm thinking about Harlem, Brooklyn or LIC Queens. I have no interest in the Bronx, or NJ.

My budget is $2800/month for rent. I know this budget is very low for a one bedroom, but I'd like to continue saving the bulk of my money and not have it go towards rent. I like the idea of living in Manhattan, but many of the Harlem rentals that I've seen online are over 3K. The same is true for Park Slope and Fort Greene. LIC Queens doesn't seem like a real neighborhood, but the apartments are nice, and this morning I found a 1 bedroom in a nice building which has plenty of amenities. They require 40x the rent, which I definitely meet. I'm running out of patience, and strongly considering LIC as my best option.

Your advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 07:46 AM

782 posts, read 527,280 times
Check out Astoria. It has a younger singles vibe in parts with many neighborhood amenities like bars and restaurants. There is a fair amount of new construction though I don’t know if they have much in the way of building amenities.

For LIC, are you looking at the buildings near the Queensboro bridge? If so, since you will be working from home, I would make sure to double-check the noise situation of the specific building/apartment. There is a ton of construction there and lots of traffic during the work week. Also potential noise from the elevated trains if you like to open your windows. Other parts of LIC are more quiet.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:16 AM

453 posts, read 317,730 times
keep trying Harlem, you will get something on your budget. Columbia and CCNY graduation just happened, that means some student returning home and emptying their apartments.

Hamilton heights is a good option.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:02 AM

3,139 posts, read 2,731,547 times
You should be able to get a pretty decent 1-bed in West Harlem (on the A/B/C/D) for $2800. Look in the area immediately around the 145th St. stop (cut off at FDB to the east), which is part of Sugar Hill. There's a Starbucks, a drugstore, and a 24/7 supermarket right there. Underrated area if you're not scared of living that far north. I almost hate to draw attention to it!

Old 05-21-2018, 09:07 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
You should be able to get a pretty decent 1-bed in West Harlem (on the A/B/C/D) for $2800. Look in the area immediately around the 145th St. stop (cut off at FDB to the east), which is part of Sugar Hill. There's a Starbucks, a drugstore, and a 24/7 supermarket right there. Underrated area if you're not scared of living that far north. I almost hate to draw attention to it!
Yeah it was weird walking around there years ago since parts of it still felt ghetto, but now, there are so many different types of people walking around... Even going east on 145th... Whites especially.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:33 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
What about downtown Brooklyn bordering Ft Greene? I’d say as an SBF it’s a great neighborhood option. There are a lot of new buildings in that area with large common spaces and many coffee or coworking space options around. $2800 would get you a studio in a new building and perhaps a small one bedroom in an older building or brownstone.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:32 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Queens, with a good internet connection.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
What about downtown Brooklyn bordering Ft Greene? I’d say as an SBF it’s a great neighborhood option. There are a lot of new buildings in that area with large common spaces and many coffee or coworking space options around. $2800 would get you a studio in a new building and perhaps a small one bedroom in an older building or brownstone.
Relocating is scary, especially since I don't know anyone in NYC. I've heard a lot of good things about Harlem, but I guess I would be open to Brooklyn too if there are ample coworking options.

Are there a lot of professional black women in Brooklyn?

I think NYC is the perfect place for me at this stage in my life.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:13 PM

I should mention that it's important that the area be diverse. I don't want to feel out of place in the area or building.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:44 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,862,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia2432 View Post
I should mention that it's important that the area be diverse. I don't want to feel out of place in the area or building.
I personally like Jad2k’s suggestion because I live in this area. It’s diverse, tons of new buildings, super convenient and close to the city.
I would suggest taking a trip to visit the neighborhoods you are interested in to get a feel of what you think you would like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City