Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 06:16 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGon1205 View Post
I've been puking for three days after eating from a food cart. Anyone have any advice for how to get the word out so others don't get sick. Now I understand why people want these things to have letter grades.

You either are very young, naïve, and or new to the city; otherwise anyone with an ounce of sense knows there is a risk of consuming *anything* from those sidewalk food carts.

It was that way back in the day when mainly hot dogs were on offer, and is still true now that the menu choices have expanded.

Thus while your illness is a misfortune, it is hardly unusual nor newsworthy. More so because absent what was consumed and where it was purchased we are left with basically a pity party of one.

Report the vendor to DOH, lay in a supply of Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate and let nature run it's course. If things are serious contact your physician or head to local ER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 06:25 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Need to know what you ate.

A lot of the time people get food poisoning it is from certain items.

This is why I am a picky eater when eating out. I don't care what looks I get or criticism - My stomach not theirs.

I will only eat simple things that are hard to mess up, like a Burger and fries. Fried chicken wings, anything cooked to death.

Too many people get sick from eggs Benedict, salad, scallops and other undercooked items. I am not saying it's impossible to get sick from a well done Burger, but it is rare and unlikely. And if you do get something, the severity will likely be mild.

It's all about reducing risk.
believe it or not I've had under cooked buffalo wings. Frying isn't the save all people think it is the food still has to cook through.

Honestly, any time you have meat/vegetables/dairy products you're taking a risk. Last night I went to get coffee at the 7-11 at 71st Forest Hills and when i went to pour the half and half it came out like straight up cottage cheese. I told the clerk, and she basically acted like she didn't give a damn, so I proceeded to toss out the cream for them so no one else would get sick. BTW, worst food poisoning for me was potato skins at TGI Friday's 20 years ago when I was a kid. To this day I still don't like eating there.

Vigilance is key.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:01 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,151,256 times
How can you be so sure it was the food truck food? Did you get I'll right after eating?

Go to the ER and get a shot to kill the bug. No reason to go out 3 days sick over some stomach bug.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:22 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
I consider myself lucky, I have never gotten food poisioning.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-20-2018, 09:28 PM

251 posts, read 148,432 times
I NEVERRRRR eat from those. (And,yes, you can get sick from any food establishment), but i really, really don’t trust the hygiene of food carts.

Once enjoying a spring day, ppl watching on 6th Ave next to the fountains (across Rockefeller Ctr), i was watching the vendor unload his items from his van to the cart. In doing so, he dropped an armful of his metal tongs, utensils and some other cookware on the ground.

He merely took them to the fountain, rinsed them off in there, dried them with an old filthy red towel and took them back to the cart to be used for the lunch rush. Eww.

No carts for me. I’m good. (Was good even before then—this just reinforced it).

Old 05-20-2018, 09:35 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I remember the last time i ate a hot dog. 2005 - i was in college and working at a retail store on 5th / 52nd st. I had the night shift 2pm to 11pm. We got out at 12pm and i had to walk to 57th/8th ave. I was so hungry. i saw a hot dog vendor on 53rd / 5th ave and I bought 1 hot dog and a can of sprite. I took a bite and it was disgusting. I took another small bite and threw it away and drank the sprite. I got on the train and by 125 th st, my stomach started going wild. I had to clench my butt, flex my calves, etc to take away from the stomach pain. As i got closer to my station, 175st, my stomach was just getting more out of control. I started pacing inside the train car. Once i arrived at my station, i just ran home. I got to my apt and thankfully no one was using the bathroom. I locked the door and started to unbuckle my belt. My belt decided it was a good time to get stuck and i defecated on myself since i couldn't hold out any longer. I just got in the shower and ran to my room naked leaving my doo doo pants, boxers, etc on the bathroom floor. I got dressed and put my pants, boxes, socks in a trash bag and threw away the evidence away.
Meh. It happens.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-20-2018, 10:59 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,635 times
Weak stomach, poop happens, literally i guess for some people.

Millions of locals and out of town folks eat varied carts many times over the course of their life and nothing ever happens. Just bad luck. Using your logic if a person you're dating gave you a cold would you never date that gender/race again and get the word out there?

Old 05-20-2018, 11:39 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. Ryu View Post
i remember the last time i ate a hot dog. 2005 - i was in college and working at a retail store on 5th / 52nd st. I had the night shift 2pm to 11pm. We got out at 12pm and i had to walk to 57th/8th ave. I was so hungry. I saw a hot dog vendor on 53rd / 5th ave and i bought 1 hot dog and a can of sprite. I took a bite and it was disgusting. I took another small bite and threw it away and drank the sprite. I got on the train and by 125 th st, my stomach started going wild. I had to clench my butt, flex my calves, etc to take away from the stomach pain. As i got closer to my station, 175st, my stomach was just getting more out of control. I started pacing inside the train car. Once i arrived at my station, i just ran home. I got to my apt and thankfully no one was using the bathroom. I locked the door and started to unbuckle my belt. My belt decided it was a good time to get stuck and i defecated on myself since i couldn't hold out any longer. I just got in the shower and ran to my room naked leaving my doo doo pants, boxers, etc on the bathroom floor. I got dressed and put my pants, boxes, socks in a trash bag and threw away the evidence away.

:d

Old 05-21-2018, 03:08 AM

220 posts, read 196,135 times
I got violently ill from eating a salad from Just Salads. About 20 minutes or so into digesting i started cold sweating then the stomach cramps. Took off work early and raced tot he train. By the time i got the house i was vomiting and defecating at the same damn time. It was A W F U L.

I LOATHE assembly line type salad places.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:41 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
With street carts, you have to factor the air pollution via car exhaust, cigarette, vape, and weed smoke, people sneezing and coughing, etc. I also wonder where does those dudes use the bathroom at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City