Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 05:16 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times

Advertisements

By Kemberly Richardson

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 06:13PM

WOODLAWN, Bronx (WABC) -- Police are looking for the suspect who mugged two elderly women on their way to church in the Bronx.

The two women, longtime friends in their 70s, were on Martha Avenue in Woodlawn Tuesday on their way to church for a funeral mass.

Police said just before 5 p.m., a man pulled up in a blue SUV, walked up to the women, then threw one, Mary Griffin, to the ground and stole her purse.

"Why don't you be like my son and grow up and get a job and stop doing this to people? Stop doing it, whatever your reason is, stop doing it. He must have a mom somewhere that you know, tried to bring you up the right way," Griffin said.

Griffin's friend, who did not want to be identified, jumped in, hitting the man with her umbrella.

"I took a step towards them, and I had an open umbrella, and I swung it at him, and I hit him with the umbrella, but an open umbrella does nothing to anybody. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that," the friend said. "He just took a step towards the street, grabbed my friend's purse and off he went."

The suspect threw her to the ground as well.

"I'm angry," said Stephen Griffin, the victim's son. "They pick on the elderly all the time. Now it's the M.O. Just angry, very."

Both women were taken to the hospital but are now recovering at home.

The ladies thanked everyone in their neighborhood who heard their screams and ran out of their homes to help.

The individual is described as 18 to 20 years old, 140 pounds and 5'6." He was last seen wearing a grey hooded sweatshirt with a white logo on his chest, tan pants and brown boots.

Anyone with information in regards to this incident is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477) or for Spanish, 1-888-57-PISTA (74782).

Exclusive: 2 elderly women mugged in Bronx speak out after attack | abc7ny.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 05:42 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
You can be mugged anywhere in NYC, it doesn't matter where. As long as you are vulnerable and it's quiet somebody can easily put you over and demand your money. Try doing that in Florida or TX.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
The cowards that did this I understand
It's the men that did not defend these old women that I do not understand
All that strutting and not one brave man

Old 05-24-2018, 06:09 PM

3,127 posts, read 2,722,900 times
Ha, good for those old ladies. I hope they poked him in the eye with that umbrella.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:18 PM

251 posts, read 148,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You can be mugged anywhere in NYC, it doesn't matter where. As long as you are vulnerable and it's quiet somebody can easily put you over and demand your money. Try doing that in Florida or TX.
I’m not understanding. You mean there are no muggings of vulnerable ppl in FL or TX? That’s odd. Neither of those states are exactly low crime places, so it appears criminals try it in those states too.

Maybe you’re alluding to the joys of CCW/open carry?

Old 05-24-2018, 07:54 PM

766 posts, read 507,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...a-parking-lots

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...nds-home-depot

Old 05-25-2018, 02:27 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,469,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflyguy View Post
I’m not understanding. You mean there are no muggings of vulnerable ppl in FL or TX? That’s odd. Neither of those states are exactly low crime places, so it appears criminals try it in those states too.

Maybe you’re alluding to the joys of CCW/open carry?
Exactly. That's what he or she is implying.

I'm not anti-gun, but to act like CCW states are inherently low crime is silly. Florida and Texas are both more dangerous than New York. I'm not sure if all grannies in Texas are packing anyway

Old 05-25-2018, 03:36 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,074,137 times
Maybe we need brutal punishment.

You steal = 1 hand is cut off.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:58 AM

444 posts, read 386,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Maybe we need brutal punishment.

You steal = 1 hand is cut off.
We can start of slow, 1st offense lose two fingers. Second offense lose the other hand entirely.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:58 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,074,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
We can start of slow, 1st offense lose two fingers. Second offense lose the other hand entirely.
I can guarantee that the recidivist rate will be extremely low.

The person will have a Scarlet Letter of sort with the amputated hand. They should cut it in a certain way so everyone knows the background of the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: