Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 10:10 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times

Advertisements

My son told me schools are so dangerous because of school shootings. I giggled and told him he has never been to school in NYC during the 80s-90s. My HS days NYC, I had to take subway from Queens to Brooklyn every morning. It wasn't like today, back then there were bullies everywhere and fights were common in subways and lots of kids get into fights, there were stabbings and muggings. Once awhile the principal would go on the PA to tell kids stop bringing weapons or they will be suspended. There were no metal detectors yet but schools do random bag check. The dean showed us a box full of knives, BB guns, metal pipes, and all kinds of weapons confiscated.

I remember sitting next to a really hot spanish girl in 10th grade and I peaked over her bag, she had butterfly knife tucked in her bag.

I told my son on Halloween, one of my teacher would ask how many students planned not to show up and if they do they get treats in class. I've always showed up on halloween with my friends we would scout streets looking for a clear and make a run for the subway. Then we see a bunch of kids with shaving cream and some had carry metal pipes we had to wait until the cops showed up or when the train shows up on the platform to make a run for it.

A friend of mine often is the protector he would come into class with bruises and cuts on his face because he tried to fight for his friends and the cut him with a razor blade.

Back in 90s NYC was like a war zone in many areas, many students are like warriors compare to kids today.

These shootings are horrible because a lot of these sick kids enjoy terrorizing kids today that are more vulnerable than teens in past generations especially in NYC when the there were drug dealers everywhere and the cops didn't seem to care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 10:36 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,753,937 times
Yea, I hear ya. I grew up in DC in the 80s. That **** was a straight up war zone. Like buildings burning while people were killing each other over a crack rock. Crumbling buildings and no working street lights.

Kids these days have no idea.*shakes cane*

Not joking although I don’t use a cane.

P.S. I’m a white boy.

Last edited by WhyRUMad; 05-23-2018 at 10:55 PM..

Old 05-23-2018, 10:53 PM

15,870 posts, read 14,495,108 times
It took a lot of work to get away from that. There are now many people, including in major political position's in NYC, who are working to bring those days back.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:00 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
It wasn't just boys fighting boys, many girls back then were thugs too. Fights outside between girls were common. Also pretty common for girls to leave school because they got knocked up.

Williamsburg area was off limits for me, unless you were someone famous looking for coke.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:45 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,897,291 times
Your son is right. More people are being killed in schools than in the armed forces

Old 05-24-2018, 06:00 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,426,982 times

Even one is bad, but lets get real, it's a very, very tiny portion of both deaths and murders in this country. The bigger issue is that the media enables anyone who wants to be famous, to get famous. The media continually shows you Exactly what you need to do to get 24/7 coverage for a week. Anyone here Honestly think that without that coverage, it would be the same?

Kids are more likely to die by being hit with a car while out playing/riding bikes/crossing the street. You simply don't see the outrage in that though.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:45 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Back in the day HS was much worse. If you didnt come to school on Halloween, you did not get marked absent.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-24-2018, 08:18 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,263,607 times
Yeah NYC as a whole is pretty tame compared to when I went to middle school/HS. I should've been on the track team running from groups and/or gangs (remember the Decepticons and Autobots?) If you saw them it was best to run. Fridays was the wild wild west afterschool, on Monday mornings you always heard of someone getting jumped, sliced and sometimes even getting shot at. Friday's was definitely look out and run...
I tell the misses about Halloween here in NYC, people throwing eggs, some would hard boil their eggs and people died getting hit in the face, some people would add Nair so your hair would fall off. She is in aww since all she had to worry was about teepeeing people's houses and not getting in trouble.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:21 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,758,240 times
Lol, I made my bones back in the 70s at SJ Tilden

Old 05-24-2018, 08:49 AM

1,183 posts, read 709,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

Even one is bad, but lets get real, it's a very, very tiny portion of both deaths and murders in this country. The bigger issue is that the media enables anyone who wants to be famous, to get famous. The media continually shows you Exactly what you need to do to get 24/7 coverage for a week. Anyone here Honestly think that without that coverage, it would be the same?

Kids are more likely to die by being hit with a car while out playing/riding bikes/crossing the street. You simply don't see the outrage in that though.

You do know cars have a major use besides accidentally running down people right? And you do know that guns are specifically designed for one use - to kill right? If being an ammosexual is confusing your thinking try this one - more people get killed by lawn mower accidents than hand grenades each year. That's not an argument for having, promoting or not regulating hand grenades.

Good analogy though, otherwise. Apart from that massive flaw. Oh and the fact that there are literally thousands of rules & regulations across the country regarding road usage, insurance, safety measures etc. that try to, and in fact have, reduced car-related deaths. Because dangerous things should be regulated.

Eye roll emoji at your profound insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City