Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2018, 02:25 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,463,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry88 View Post
There is a double standard in NYC. It's OK to be racist against whites and East Asians in public and even at the workplace. I hear snide comments weekly at work about white this and that, "White gentrifiers", "White landlords", etc, all in negative context. I speak fluent Spanish, and know the stuff hispanic workers say at stores, thinking a white or asian woman wouldn't understand, and it's some pretty disgusting, racist stuff.

With regards to the lawyer, something I've observed is generational projection. That "racist" lawyer is Jewish which is a bit ironic wouldn't you say, you'd think he'd be more sensitive to these issues of immigration, but the reality is, many once persecuted people become racists. They end up administering the same kind of hate they received when they were younger. I bet that lawyer got called all kinds of things growing up and now it's "his turn". Welcome to the USA. Racism is within the fabric of American culture.
That's really not true. If a video of you saying racist things about Asian people went viral, you would probably get fired.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:17 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,023,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That's really not true. If a video of you saying racist things about Asian people went viral, you would probably get fired.
It does not need to go viral. If your employer sees it you are done, unless if you the employee are in a union or under a binding contract.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It does not need to go viral. If your employer sees it you are done, unless if you the employee are in a union or under a binding contract.
My point exactly, it's definitely not socially acceptable to say racist things about Asians.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:42 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,813,915 times
Quote:
My point exactly, it's definitely not socially acceptable to say racist things about Asians.
Agreed, but it will never be as viral as racism against blacks or Spanish due to socioeconomic differences and more importantly that Asians never play victim so it gets brushed over.

The fact that the lawyer was in NYC, was Jewish, was good looking (objectively speaking), had a past, and most importantly spoke against Hispanics with all the political stuff going on, made it viral.

Anyone remember Evan Klinger?

Old 05-28-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
You can even be fired for making a political statement. Race is not the only thing that can get someone in trouble off of work hours.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
Agreed, but it will never be as viral as racism against blacks or Spanish due to socioeconomic differences and more importantly that Asians never play victim so it gets brushed over.

The fact that the lawyer was in NYC, was Jewish, was good looking (objectively speaking), had a past, and most importantly spoke against Hispanics with all the political stuff going on, made it viral.

That Jewish lawyer who made those comments was huge news. The video with the Italian guy verbal abusing the black woman is nothing new, and its not gaining much traction. Jews a never known to be racist due to 3500 years of victimization by 2 dozen or more different states. Its hard to believe that a Jew can be racist. It was just 73 years ago that World War 2 ended which ended the Holocaust, and even in recent times the Soviet Union marginalized Jews there and many came to America as refugees. Historical standpoint, Soviet Union and Nazi Germany is not a long time ago. The affects from those two states are still felt to this day!

Old 05-28-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post

That's not true either, plenty of Asian-Americans are socially conscious. I believe the woman who made the video of the LIRR guy go viral is South Asian. There have been viral videos of white people being racist agaisnt Asians.

I think the reason the lawyer video went so viral is because he's a lawyer, more so than the ethnicity of the victims.

Even though East Asians get ragged on less because of the "model minority" thing, I still don't think it would go over well to go on a racist rant about them in public.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:46 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,942,745 times
Roseanne Barr just got her show cancelled for saying racist and Islamofobic statements about Valerie Jarrett. She has now said she will cancel all social media accept Instagram. Not only did she lose her job, she got all of her colleagues fired. It does not pay to be racist.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Roseanne Barr just got her show cancelled for saying racist and Islamofobic statements about Valerie Jarrett. She has now said she will cancel all social media accept Instagram. Not only did she lose her job, she got all of her colleagues fired. It does not pay to be racist.
I don't think she is a racist. Saying something racist does not make you a racist. You are racist with actions which can cause real and long lasting harm. Same for sexist as well. Thanks to the climate we are in. Doing racist and sexist stuff is bad, but now saying racist and sexist stuff can land one in trouble. At least folks who say racist and sexist stuff can still get another job, an apartment and even get back on to college. While does who committed racist and sexist acts will be locked out of the market forever.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:08 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,813,915 times
What was she thinking? She's insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City