Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 05:16 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,931,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
They exist for that price.
Not sure what you're running your mouth about. A quick search shows it's possible, though $1450 would trips more options.
So 2 out of the 33 studio rentals on that website you linked are $1400. $1400 is not the average studio rental in Forest Hills. I wouldn't be surprised if there were something wrong with those 2. Also they are marketed by a realtor, so you can expect to pay a months worth of realtor fees.

Last edited by Yac; 11-30-2020 at 01:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 05:19 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,931,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
Just why? Are you trying to make me feel bad because I didn't rent that studio?
$1400 is below market rate for Forest Hills. I have not read the whole thread to comment on the studio you passed on.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:14 PM

12,742 posts, read 8,193,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
So 2 out of the 33 studio rentals on that website you linked are $1400. $1400 is not the average studio rental in Forest Hills. I wouldn't be surprised if there were something wrong with those 2. Also they are marketed by a realtor, so you can expect to pay a months worth of realtor fees.
The OP needs ONE apartment not 33. If you read the thread, you would know that the OP doesn't qualify for 40x the rent, so she will have to make sacrifices and look for places under the radar. Surely if she could afford $1450 and up so she would take a place that costs more but her budget is what it is.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:29 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,046,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
The top link appears to be an illegal apartment. There are two units for rent currently at that address, which was sold as a single family home. So I wonder if the OP is ok with an illegal dwelling.

Searching for apartments online is a tricky business. Usually there is some ugly surprise waiting for you if you set your sights on the absolute lowest of the price range.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:33 PM

12,742 posts, read 8,193,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The top link appears to be an illegal apartment. There are two units for rent currently at that address, which was sold as a single family home. So I wonder if the OP is ok with an illegal dwelling.

Searching for apartments online is a tricky business. Usually there is some ugly surprise waiting for you if you set your sights on the absolute lowest of the price range.
If she's going to get in under market rate rent, it will have to be through some time owner, likely someone renting part of their house out. The whole legality thing is another thing they'll have to deal with. The OP ideally should try to increase their budget by getting a side gig if they don't already have one.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:08 AM

582 posts, read 759,951 times
Quote:

Henna, how do you know if it is illegal? I would like to know so I can search for legal apts.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:31 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,046,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
Henna, how do you know if it is illegal? I would like to know so I can search for legal apts.
I looked it up on ACRIS, which is the city's website for property. It shows it's a single family house. Then I noticed that at that address (you can Google the address to find the real estate listings on various sites), there are two separate units for rent -- a large one, and then the smaller studio. To me this indicates the smaller one is most likely not legal.

Normally in my experience, I usually just assume that any basement unit in a house is illegal. This one didn't seem to be a basement unit, but nevertheless, it appears it may be illegal.

That said, I think that the fact a unit is illegal is more of a problem for the landlord than for the tenant, unless there are issues with egress, etc. But I'm no expert on that so you'll have to do your own research.

Good luck

Old 06-11-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I looked it up on ACRIS, which is the city's website for property. It shows it's a single family house. Then I noticed that at that address (you can Google the address to find the real estate listings on various sites), there are two separate units for rent -- a large one, and then the smaller studio. To me this indicates the smaller one is most likely not legal.

Normally in my experience, I usually just assume that any basement unit in a house is illegal. This one didn't seem to be a basement unit, but nevertheless, it appears it may be illegal.

That said, I think that the fact a unit is illegal is more of a problem for the landlord than for the tenant, unless there are issues with egress, etc. But I'm no expert on that so you'll have to do your own research.

Good luck
Thanks, Henna! I feel some regret now. I think that studio was a good one.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:29 PM

43,369 posts, read 44,091,553 times
Quote:

Good luck
Not every basement apt. in a single family house is illegal. But one needs to check this out before one moves into such an apt.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:59 PM

I tried to contact the owner of the RP studio and they won't even bother to let me know if there is an application on it or not. I am sure there is but the owners won't even bother to answer my text. They got mad because I sent them an email saying that I am interested but we need to discuss a few things about the condition of the studio first. It sounds like I have to lower my expectations and realize that any apt with low price won't have everything I need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City