Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 09:47 AM

34,154 posts, read 47,390,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Hey listen, you liberals wanted him in office, and now this is what we're getting. No, you don't get to shelter these degenerates away to a "cheaper" part of town. Talk about nerve. You wanna sit there in the crème de la crème of Manhattan, vote for this idiot and then complain when the things YOU voted for come back to bite you in the arse. Well now you get to look at what you voted for for the next several years!!
Welfare hotels have been in NYC for decades

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 09:49 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,015,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
They have, but the city has been facing record homelessnesses due to a variety of factors. The major increase of rents and the substantial weakening of rent stabilization laws by Pataki, Giuliani, and Bloomberg don't help.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:55 AM

34,154 posts, read 47,390,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
They have, but the city has been facing record homelessnesses due to a variety of factors. The major increase of rents and the substantial weakening of rent stabilization laws by Pataki, Giuliani, and Bloomberg don't help.
Yes, the problem has been exacerbated by various characters.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-01-2018, 09:57 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,325,375 times
Quote:
It's also inhumane to working people in poor neighborhoods to dump homeless people on them, and people in cheap parts of town (immigrants, minorities, working class whites) would know PROTEST adding more shelters in their neighborhoods. Bad enough people have have to deal with gentrification, no one anyone else is going to let their neighborhood be filled up with shelters.

So I agree poor people have to be housed and distributed AROUND the city, not just the uncool neighborhoods.

The other problem is, the services these people need to get their lives back on track are in Manhattan, as are more jobs.

I'm not saying every homeless person should be housed in Manhattan, but to the extent the city houses people they logistically for many reasons cannot all be sent to "cheap" parts of town.

Btw, we had these problems under Giuliani and Bloomberg as well, due to federal court rulings. In that de Blasio decided to spend more money on homelessness, of course word of that is going to get on the street and spread. But as I said in the OP, we need official data to be released to understand the extent of the problem.
Oh please. I don't need official data. I have two eyes and see the crap on the streets of Manhattan every day. Plenty of out-of-towners coming here for the benefits. They sit outside and beg ALL DAY, then go to Starbucks for coffee and snacks. Seriously, if you can afford to eat at Starbucks, you really have no excuse to panhandle, but then again, we have a moron in office, so why not do it? The people that voted for him don't have the balls to say so either, but they'll come here and complain about how all of these degenerates are sitting out and begging in their expensive neighborhood. This all goes hand and hand with the whole gentrification thing. When the homeless people are pushed out they don't just go away and with this mayor, not only trying to keep the current homeless population here, he's also attracting people from outside of New York to come here and freeload. We have a guy in our building that moved in and he's the only one on a program. With the rents we pay, we weren't expecting to have someone on a program living there. It angers me to no end that I sit and bust my arse all day to pay my rent, only to come home and know that this guy does NOTHING all day but sit at home and play video games while we taxpayers pay his rent, but this is the city de Blasio wanted.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:39 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,644,487 times
There are homeless people that ask money to get cigarettes. Why in the world would I fork over my hard earned money to support your lousy habit.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:09 AM

766 posts, read 508,986 times
Quote:
Hey listen, you liberals wanted him in office, and now this is what we're getting. No, you don't get to shelter these degenerates away to a "cheaper" part of town. Talk about nerve. You wanna sit there in the crème de la crème of Manhattan, vote for this idiot and then complain when the things YOU voted for come back to bite you in the arse. Well now you get to look at what you voted for for the next several years!!
There are homeowners and working Class people in cheaper areas that pay taxes as well. They shouldn’t bear the brunt of homeless shelters especially when the rich folks and tourist in manhattan are giving them hoards of money panhandling which enables their behavior.

The city needs to do more prevention that changes behavior instead of continually throwing money which doesn’t fix the problem. If they want benefits, work. this city is dirty, have them clean up trash.

Stop giving them free money just because they are poor

Old 06-01-2018, 11:24 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,015,841 times
Quote:
Oh please. I don't need official data. I have two eyes and see the crap on the streets of Manhattan every day. Plenty of out-of-towners coming here for the benefits. They sit outside and beg ALL DAY, then go to Starbucks for coffee and snacks. Seriously, if you can afford to eat at Starbucks, you really have no excuse to panhandle, but then again, we have a moron in office, so why not do it? The people that voted for him don't have the balls to say so either, but they'll come here and complain about how all of these degenerates are sitting out and begging in their expensive neighborhood. This all goes hand and hand with the whole gentrification thing. When the homeless people are pushed out they don't just go away and with this mayor, not only trying to keep the current homeless population here, he's also attracting people from outside of New York to come here and freeload. We have a guy in our building that moved in and he's the only one on a program. With the rents we pay, we weren't expecting to have someone on a program living there. It angers me to no end that I sit and bust my arse all day to pay my rent, only to come home and know that this guy does NOTHING all day but sit at home and play video games while we taxpayers pay his rent, but this is the city de Blasio wanted.
Plenty of people coming here is not a number and it not hard data. Are these out of towners numbering in hundreds, thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions?

The official data matters because if we know how many people we know how much money, and we need to be able to see how much of our tax money and how much of the city and state budgets are funding this.

Btw, I have personally met and spoken to people who told me they moved here for the benefits. Obviously it exists, but to what extent?

If we know the exact numbers we can begin to guess how much harm is being done to the city and state economy, and we can push for BETTER solutions.

Re: As I said earlier to the other person, it isn't fair for working class people to have to bare the burden of dumping welfare people in JUST their neighborhoods. People on welfare need to be distributed around the city.

Another poster said push welfare reform and make them work for their benefits. Welfare, as it is currently exists, keeps AMERICANS out of the job market while the city IMPORTS illegals.

I'm not anti immigrant and I am an immigrant myself in Spain. But does it make sense to have all these Americans in NYC on welfare and not working and the city has to IMPORT illegals to work in restaurants/hospitality, for cleaning services, for certain construction jobs, etc. And as taxpayers WE are all paying the price.

NYC was essentially a sanctuary for undocumented immigrants for decades, and over the decades a lot of people moved to NYC to get on welfare. Word go out when they were building all the projects.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:36 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,325,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
But not as many of tnem before and not with the City spending as much as they are to house the homlesss...

Old 06-01-2018, 11:44 AM

5,466 posts, read 5,725,445 times
Quote:

The official data matters because if we know how many people we know how much money, and we need to be able to see how much of our tax money and how much of the city and state budgets are funding this.
The city spends about ~1/3 of its budget on various welfare/social services.
Just at a glance:
Department of Social Services - $9.94 billion
Admin. for Children's Services - $3.15 billion
Dept. of Homeless Services - $1.93 billion
Dept. of Health and Mental Hygiene - $1.76 billion

^Most of these departments have to do with welfare of various kinds. There are some services being done by other departments, but you would need to look at budgets of individual programs. E. G. There are some homeless services being done by other departments, not just Dept. of Homeless Services.

Just for comparison, some other city services:
Pensions - $9.59 billion (this would include pensions for people working for "welfare" departments obviously).
Police - $5.58 billion
Fire - $2.11 billion
Sanitation - $1.69 billion
City University of New York (CUNY) - $1.27 billion
Finance Department - $300 million
Law Department - $223 million
New York Public Library - $139 million

Old 06-01-2018, 11:45 AM

82 posts, read 63,179 times
Quote:
There's always a lot of debate on whether people moving to NYC for welfare are swelling the homeless population.

Of course, there are people who do move to NYC for welfare benefits. But we don't now how many. Is it a few dozen a year. Or is it THOUSANDS per year?

People can't accurately push for improvements to public policy if accurate information is not available.

I have not seen the city release these statistics to the public, nor have I seen politicians debate them.

Of course, constitutionally Americans have to right to move wherever they want to within the 50 states and apply for welfare.

With that said, if NYC is being flooded with out of towners perhaps the city should spend more money on sending people back home or combat the problem in other ways, if this is draining resources from helping New Yorkers.

Obviously there are many factors in to making people go homeless, and I'm not trying to scapegoat out of towners. My complaint is the city is not releasing any real information on the homeless problem or not releasing good statistics on welfare recipients either.
Haha I planned on moving to NYC soon. I'll sleep in my car if I have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City