Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 09:48 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times

Advertisements

There's always a lot of debate on whether people moving to NYC for welfare are swelling the homeless population.

Of course, there are people who do move to NYC for welfare benefits. But we don't now how many. Is it a few dozen a year. Or is it THOUSANDS per year?

People can't accurately push for improvements to public policy if accurate information is not available.

I have not seen the city release these statistics to the public, nor have I seen politicians debate them.

Of course, constitutionally Americans have to right to move wherever they want to within the 50 states and apply for welfare.

With that said, if NYC is being flooded with out of towners perhaps the city should spend more money on sending people back home or combat the problem in other ways, if this is draining resources from helping New Yorkers.

Obviously there are many factors in to making people go homeless, and I'm not trying to scapegoat out of towners. My complaint is the city is not releasing any real information on the homeless problem or not releasing good statistics on welfare recipients either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 11:49 AM

766 posts, read 507,350 times
They are trying to send people back with generous amounts of money but people refuse to leave.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:58 AM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,039 times
Not just out of towners, but the city even wants illegals to qualify for benefits.

As pointed out, citizens have the right to move here and you can only send them back if they want to leave. The solution, Imo, is to narrow the requirements for benefits such that it would become unattractive for out of towners. This would never happen with the Democrats, as placing more reqs for benefits is antithetical to the party platform.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:04 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,828,406 times
In response to NyWriterduse

the city is not releasing any real information on the homeless problem or not releasing good statistics on welfare recipients either.
Very very good observation. Can not find anything on imported welfare.
You,my friend, have stumbled upon the question of all sages.

2016 Stats:
Public Assistance: NY State $2.24 billion
Snap enrollment: decreased as there are only 3 million recipients accounting for only $ 5 billion.
SNA : Safety net assistance (State and County Funded) $ 1.44 billion.
FA : Family assistance ( Federally Funded ) in NY decreased to $ 799.4 million.

Just opened up my mail. My house taxes just shot up $400 this year.
Shoot me already.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:06 PM

1,239 posts, read 509,859 times
I think this is a way bigger problem than it is made out to be.
We live near a hotel that houses the homeless. Used to be just families, now it's single guys who spend the day drinking beers and smoking weed. We can literally hear these guys talking about how they moved here for the benefits, and are going to have friends do the same.

We have hard working New Yorkers who can barely afford to pay their bills, but instead of providing them with the assistance they deserve, we're putting out of towners up in luxury hotels.

We need to change this crap. Maybe require that they prove they were NY residents/tax payers in the past, in order to be eligble for support like this.

I don't even understand it politically. This isn't some large voting group. You're literally taking away from normal New Yorkers to entice vagrants to move here. We're starting to see mini encampments in Manhattan. Groups of 5 -10 young people setting up shop on prime sidewalks in Manhattan.

I'm a liberal, but I just can't support this waste. $300 - $400 a night to house people? Build some shelters in cheap parts of town, give them the essentials, but we're literally giving people free vacations.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:10 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,613,829 times
Sounds like you'd have a better log number by being homeless than fitting into an income band.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
We live near a hotel that houses the homeless. Used to be just families, now it's single guys who spend the day drinking beers and smoking weed. We can literally hear these guys talking about how they moved here for the benefits, and are going to have friends do the same.

We have hard working New Yorkers who can barely afford to pay their bills, but instead of providing them with the assistance they deserve, we're putting out of towners up in luxury hotels.

We need to change this crap. Maybe require that they prove they were NY residents/tax payers in the past, in order to be eligble for support like this.

I don't even understand it politically. This isn't some large voting group. You're literally taking away from normal New Yorkers to entice vagrants to move here. We're starting to see mini encampments in Manhattan. Groups of 5 -10 young people setting up shop on prime sidewalks in Manhattan.

I'm a liberal, but I just can't support this waste. $300 - $400 a night to house people? Build some shelters in cheap parts of town, give them the essentials, but we're literally giving people free vacations.
Technically there were federal court rulings mandating that Americans can travel wherever they want to and get welfare. So NY cannot force them to prove that they were NY residents before, per court rulings.

With that said, NY could call out the states these people are from for not taking care of their own, and NY federal politicians could push for revision of federal laws and perhaps Congress could address this matter via legislation.

But before anyone could act we would need honest statistics on the matter released by the city.

When people apply for benefits they have to show IDs, and hand in other paperwork. So the city agencies have information on who is from where, ditto the state.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:32 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,208,677 times
All part of the mayor and city governments plan for fairness, equality, and redistributing resources to those who don't have.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:37 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post

Hey listen, you liberals wanted him in office, and now this is what we're getting. No, you don't get to shelter these degenerates away to a "cheaper" part of town. Talk about nerve. You wanna sit there in the crème de la crème of Manhattan, vote for this idiot and then complain when the things YOU voted for come back to bite you in the arse. Well now you get to look at what you voted for for the next several years!!

Old 06-01-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Hey listen, you liberals wanted him in office, and now this is what we're getting. No, you don't get to shelter these degenerates away to a "cheaper" part of town. Talk about nerve. You wanna sit there in the crème de la crème of Manhattan, vote for this idiot and then complain when the things YOU voted for come back to bite you in the arse. Well now you get to look at what you voted for for the next several years!!
It's also inhumane to working people in poor neighborhoods to dump homeless people on them, and people in cheap parts of town (immigrants, minorities, working class whites) would know PROTEST adding more shelters in their neighborhoods. Bad enough people have have to deal with gentrification, no one anyone else is going to let their neighborhood be filled up with shelters.

So I agree poor people have to be housed and distributed AROUND the city, not just the uncool neighborhoods.

The other problem is, the services these people need to get their lives back on track are in Manhattan, as are more jobs.

I'm not saying every homeless person should be housed in Manhattan, but to the extent the city houses people they logistically for many reasons cannot all be sent to "cheap" parts of town.

Btw, we had these problems under Giuliani and Bloomberg as well, due to federal court rulings. In that de Blasio decided to spend more money on homelessness, of course word of that is going to get on the street and spread. But as I said in the OP, we need official data to be released to understand the extent of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City