Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 7,404 times

Advertisements

I have been applying for apts on the NYC housing connect website but my Log #s have all been high numbers like 30,00 or even 50,000. What are my chances of ever been called? How does this process work? Does it matter that my Log #'s are so high? Thank you for any explanation of how this process work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 09:14 AM

319 posts, read 400,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortune88 View Post
I have been applying for apts on the NYC housing connect website but my Log #s have all been high numbers like 30,00 or even 50,000. What are my chances of ever been called? How does this process work? Does it matter that my Log #'s are so high? Thank you for any explanation of how this process work.
it's random, really your logs don't matter
i have logs from 47 to 70k
i got called for 3k , 20k, 40k

Old 06-01-2018, 09:14 AM

6,687 posts, read 6,031,429 times
Quote:
Yes, log numbers are everything - after all, it is a lottery, no different than playing the mega millions. If you don't get a low number, you're pretty much out unless you have some type of preference - disability, community board (which is being phased out), or municipal employee status. But even with those options, you still need somewhat of a low number.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:33 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
I would also say you have a higher chance in the higher bands. I've been called in the 60k region before.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:35 AM

47 posts, read 84,768 times
From the Housing Connect website: "After the deadline, all of the applications are put into a random order. The developer begins reviewing them (beginning with those who meet preferences) and contacting applicants. [...] Your chances of being contacted are greatest if you are randomly assigned a low log number, or you meet set-aside or preference criteria."

Old 06-04-2018, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 7,404 times
Default Log #

it appears that there is a difference of opinion. Does anybody know how this really works? After you get a Log #, what happens then? do they sort thru those and pick from there? I guess I just have to see if I ever get contacted.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:05 AM

6,687 posts, read 6,031,429 times
Quote:
it appears that there is a difference of opinion. Does anybody know how this really works? After you get a Log #, what happens then? do they sort thru those and pick from there? I guess I just have to see if I ever get contacted.
There is no science to it: They go in order: 1, 2, 3, etc.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:01 AM

965 posts, read 1,114,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
There is no science to it: They go in order: 1, 2, 3, etc.
This.

Short version:

AMI Band
v
Preference Group > General Population

Detailed version:

Another thing to note is since it goes by band, a person can still be called with a higher number before a lower number solely because of the different bands. No one is being skipped, in this case.

As she stated before it's in order unless you have a "preference."

Preferences get priority. Let's say you have community preference with a number of #85,000. You will get called before someone with a general log number of say, 5.

When it comes to preferences, it still goes in number order.

Pref #8,565, Pref #10,212, Pref #32,121, General #1, General #2, General #3.

Numbers are assigned at random during the Tenant Selection phase. Doesn't matter if you applied the second after opening, or the second before closing... this is where the "lottery" portion comes in to play. After that, is a process.

Your shots at "winning" are far more than just your log number. The biggest factor (in my opinion) is the number of units available for the development.

You can have a log number of 10, but if there is only one unit, and the first person that applies gets approved. That's it, lottery over. Having a log number of 10 was worthless (unless you don't mind being on the waitlist, but even then, there's still 8 more people waiting.) Now, if you have a log number of 45,000 for a development that is offering 325 units, you have a very good shot even with the "high" number because it does take a while to fill the units. Finding 100% qualified tenants isn't so easy most of the time. It takes so long sometimes that there are "Phase 2" for some buildings that give other income bands a shot at applying.

If I were you, I'd focus more on the number of available units for your income band.

Last edited by RadeonHD4250; 06-04-2018 at 09:11 AM..

Old 06-07-2018, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,560 times
Radeon is quite right.
I got a single digit log # and didn't get even an interview. 11 units in that building with only 2 units for people with no pref, which is what I qualify for.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:33 PM

47 posts, read 84,768 times
@fortune88: if you log unto the housing connect website from your desk top computer, and then hover your mouse over the log number, a little box appears and says this: "The Developer will process applicants in numerical order with exceptions for permitted preferences only."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City