Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 04:10 PM

4,195 posts, read 4,077,595 times

Advertisements

Anyone else been getting this report each month? For two months Con Ed has been sending me a report on how much electricity I am using in comparison to my neighbors. It is not part of the bill, it is a separate mailing. It's interesting but I don't need to know each month how energy efficient I am. So far my usage has been lower than the "efficient neighbors" who are in the top 20% of efficiency (i.e., low usage). I don't really see the point of it. Knowing my neighbors use more or less electricity than me is not going to change my usage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 04:13 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Anyone else been getting this report each month? For two months Con Ed has been sending me a report on how much electricity I am using in comparison to my neighbors. It is not part of the bill, it is a separate mailing. It's interesting but I don't need to know each month how energy efficient I am. So far my usage has been lower than the "efficient neighbors" who are in the top 20% of efficiency (i.e., low usage). I don't really see the point of it. Knowing my neighbors use more or less electricity than me is not going to change my usage.

Maybe got buried under deluge of affordable housing posts, but started a thread about those GD ConEd reports several weeks ago. They are now sending them to me via email as well.

Thank God didn't give ConEd my cell number.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
martin, bugsy,
I am sure they would stop sending you unwanted information if you notified them.

I used to find info like that fascinating when I paid my electric bill, not so much now that I use electricity cooperatively and my dollar amount of the bill remains a constant. But I still turn off the lights when I leave a room empty.
Air conditioning is another thing: I am going to be comfortably cool even if it means Miami and the Maldives are under water a few hours earlier.

Last edited by Kefir King; 06-02-2018 at 07:55 AM..

Old 06-02-2018, 10:09 AM

4,195 posts, read 4,077,595 times
It's a somewhat questionable practice...shaming customers for an unstated reason for using their product too much. I'd guess this is part of the climate change political movement. The country is not in an energy crisis so what other reason would there be to shame customers for using more electricity than your neighbors?

As a business practice, what other publicly traded company tells its customers in essence that they are buying too much of their product? But if usage decreased 20% then Con Ed could probably justify a 20% rate increase with the regulators.

If it's for information then send it once a year, or add a line to the bill. A separate letter each month is like big brother trying to modify your behavior. (Even though I'm better than my "efficient" neighbors the letter still comes across like I am using too much electricity.)

Old 06-02-2018, 10:39 AM

3,614 posts, read 1,734,707 times
CON-ED always had a grid n the bill that compared usage from the same period a year ago. I try to conserve as much possible. as far as not leaving lights on, unplugging chargers I'm not using and shutting down cable boxes that aren't in use. Beyond that, I don't think much about it. For me, conservation means making my bill less expensive, as in conserve money, first and foremost. If by doing the things I do I can save a few bucks, conserve some power and help the environment that's great. But, I am not going to not use something that I need and, I really don't care what my neighbor's usage is compared to mine. That is their business.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:25 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Call Con Edison for those free LED lightbulbs.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:57 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
It doesn't really matter how much you use, Co-Ed kills you on the delivery and supply charges. The usage charges are really inexpensive. I see people getting killed being charged $35 on supply and $28 on delivery, that's without the usage. So without even using anything you have to pay almost $70 after taxes.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:54 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It doesn't really matter how much you use, Co-Ed kills you on the delivery and supply charges. The usage charges are really inexpensive. I see people getting killed being charged $35 on supply and $28 on delivery, that's without the usage. So without even using anything you have to pay almost $70 after taxes.

straight to the point. glad competence people like you still out there

Old 06-05-2018, 07:02 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Call Con Edison for those free LED lightbulbs.

For REAL?

Old 06-05-2018, 01:52 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

So true. they're such an unbelievable rip off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City