Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 10:36 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
The real question is whether it correct to have one size fit all classroom? Should the kid who aspires for ivy league be force to be in the same classroom as a kid who has normal aspirations.

For many parents and kids, it is a lifestyle and not a spare of the moment initiative. You won't be competing with a white or asian kid that is receiving further supplementary education that NYC public school doesn't provide.

For asian families, it start as early as 4 years old and continues until college. They attend community learning centers after school and during the weekend with the aim of one day being admitted to one of the more prestigious universities. It is not something that get decided at the last minute before graduating middle school.
Not all students at specialized schools now aspire to an Ivy League education. I think it's a minority who will ultimately go to one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 10:39 AM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Not all students at specialized schools now aspire to an Ivy League education. I think it's a minority who will ultimately go to one.
Also, there are a lot of schools now for undergrad that are as good or better than the Ivies.

I'm wondering if the Excelsior grant and the crippling cost of college education means that some of the CUNY and SUNY schools are going to have a rapid rise.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
But where exactly are Asian kids going to middle school that don't also have a large Latino population?
Why is that pertinent to your quote?

Old 06-06-2018, 10:41 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Why is that pertinent to your quote?
Because you were implying that middle schools Asian kids go to better middle schools

Old 06-06-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Also, there are a lot of schools now for undergrad that are as good or better than the Ivies.

I'm wondering if the Excelsior grant and the crippling cost of college education means that some of the CUNY and SUNY schools are going to have a rapid rise.
I think they'll become harder to get into.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Because you were implying that middle schools Asian kids go to better middle schools
I wasn't. I said that some schools offer SHSAT prep courses while others don't.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:56 AM

264 posts, read 239,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
The real question is whether it correct to have one size fit all classroom? Should the kid who aspires for ivy league be force to be in the same classroom as a kid who has normal aspirations.

For many parents and kids, it is a lifestyle and not a spare of the moment initiative. You won't be competing with a white or asian kid that is receiving further supplementary education that NYC public school doesn't provide.

For asian families, it start as early as 4 years old and continues until college. They attend community learning centers after school and during the weekend with the aim of one day being admitted to one of the more prestigious universities. It is not something that get decided at the last minute before graduating middle school.
The bolded text is an exaggeration. Furthermore, there are vast differences in overall academic achievement between Southeast and East Asian students.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:16 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It’s oublic school and it should be open enrolment. As I understand it de Blasio will just admit the people with top GPAs from selected schools around the city.
Oh, yeah. And that's open enrollment...says no one.

Last edited by Aeran; 06-06-2018 at 12:13 PM..

Old 06-06-2018, 11:20 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
You're probably right.

To be honest, I was always surprised that affirmative action had not been utilized yet for the specialized high schools.
No other mayor would touch it. Not even Dinkins. How interesting De Blasio is trying to implement this now only after his son has safely graduated from B'klyn Tech.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:42 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Oh, yeah. And that's open enrollment.
Top GPA's plus "just below the cutoff," plus summer school! Folk done forgot, or ignored, the fact that HEOP does this with colleges, and has been successful for going over 50 years.....!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City