Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 04:47 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And the city has decided that these specialized schools will not continue in their current form, regardless. And action is being taken on that front.
He can try, but Albany has its say.

He actually CAN eliminate the test for all but the original three. But he won't. Know why not? Because he knows the result will be to destroy the quality of the schools, so he has to do it to all of them at once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 05:27 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
My first reaction was to move to Brownsville where I can guarantee my kids get into a specialized school. But then on second thought, there are more than enough Asians in Queens alone to setup shop and take over a town in Nassau county, like Baldwin for example, and turn the entire village school district into a full fledged formula memorizing manufacturing plant.
Atta boy

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-06-2018, 05:48 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
OyCrumbler, thank you for you comments. It's obvious you know what you're talking about and are well informed on the topic of education.

I am wondering, what are the NYC schools that are in your estimation as good or better than the three that are under discussion? And are they racially balanced?

Also, how are the additional five "elite" schools doing? I don't see much about them. Are they better balanced racially? Are the kids performing well on Regents exams? Are they getting into decent colleges?

Also, how about the Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Alexandria? I believe it is ranked higher than any in NYC. I wonder what the admissions criteria is there, and if the school is integrated. Maybe we don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:05 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
OyCrumbler, thank you for you comments. It's obvious you know what you're talking about and are well informed on the topic of education.

I am wondering, what are the NYC schools that are in your estimation as good or better than the three that are under discussion? And are they racially balanced?

Also, how are the additional five "elite" schools doing? I don't see much about them. Are they better balanced racially? Are the kids performing well on Regents exams? Are they getting into decent colleges?

Also, how about the Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Alexandria? I believe it is ranked higher than any in NYC. I wonder what the admissions criteria is there, and if the school is integrated. Maybe we don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:10 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What I'm saying is if the city becomes committed to rolling this plan out as is, the enrollment of the currently under-represented middle schools can potentially change because parents who want their kids into specialized high schools but are worried that their chances under the old system were bad might refocus their attention to middle schools where they feel that 7% guaranteed admission is easily attainable. Unintended consequence, certainly, and very much hypothetical, but it's not impossible that's how things would swing.
I had this same thought. Absolutely families will move to where they think chances are higher. Wouldn't even need to test prep. We might even see higher rates of Asians within 5 years.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:25 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
He can try, but Albany has its say.

He actually CAN eliminate the test for all but the original three. But he won't. Know why not? Because he knows the result will be to destroy the quality of the schools, so he has to do it to all of them at once.
Or according to you, if Albany does not cooperate he can eliminate testing for all but the original three. Another mayor could eliminate the remaining three, or perhaps he could later on.

Assuming what you're saying is true.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:33 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
You are avoiding the issue which is creating a 7% cap of any middle schools is lowering the standards of the specialized school. NYU already did a study that verified the if you switch to strictly GPA, attendance, and state exam as a composite of admission less black and hispanic would be admitted than they currently are.
Quote:
Well, that doesn't go with what I was saying, which is of course hypothetical. It's a projected 45% black and Hispanic (not just Puerto Rican) based on current distribution of students in middle schools and taking the top 7% of each. (Looks like you need to work on your numbers game, too! We can set up a session with you and NyWriterDude!).

What I'm saying is if the city becomes committed to rolling this plan out as is, the enrollment of the currently under-represented middle schools can potentially change because parents who want their kids into specialized high schools but are worried that their chances under the old system were bad might refocus their attention to middle schools where they feel that 7% guaranteed admission is easily attainable. Unintended consequence, certainly, and very much hypothetical, but it's not impossible that's how things would swing.

Packing up out of the city with the necessity of a car, leaving the community, and trying to afford a suburban school district that has good high schools is probably a worse choice for some if not many.
The Question is, how many of the middle schools are mostly black and or/Hispanic and not at least 7% Asian?

Does deBlasio think that the Middle schools are separated white/Asian and black/Latino? That's not true at all, but I think that's a common belief among supporters of this plan.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
You might also get the unintended consequence of Asians remaining the largest component of these schools or even becoming a larger component given how De Blasio intends to roll out this system. Essentially the second phase of it is to have a top percentage of each middle school get preferential or guaranteed enrollment and the Asian population here is still growing including the economically disadvantaged within that demographic. What this can lead to is that the dispersal of Asian families trying to get their kid into middle schools where they feel that their kid has a good chance of becoming that top 7% of that middle school. If the quality of instruction isn't itself great or the learning environment in the school is a bit messy, the academic preparation outside of the actual school itself will then play an even larger role with the time actually spent in school being secondary (and a bit of a waste of time possibly). What does that net anyone? Does that actually fulfill the goal of getting a better education for everyone on balance?
Right, they already go to the same middle schools as Latinos much of the time, and sometimes blacks as well. If this plan becomes reality, they might just shuffle around to places they're underrepresented, like The Bronx or upper Manhattan. According to Bluedog2, there are already Bengalis all over The Bronx.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:45 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The Question is, how many of the middle schools are mostly black and or/Hispanic and not at least 7% Asian?

Does deBlasio think that the Middle schools are separated white/Asian and black/Latino? That's not true at all, but I think that's a common belief among supporters of this plan.
A significant amount to completely lower the standards of what a specialized school (mainly STEM) was meant to be.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
A significant amount to completely lower the standards of what a specialized school (mainly STEM) was meant to be.
So if only 10% of the students (and 15% of the applicants) are Latino or black, and de Blasio wants to increase the student body to 45% black or Latino, does that mean it would basically be open enrollment for black and Latino students?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City