Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2018, 11:01 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,880,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Brooklyn Tech doesn't have the same stigma as the other specialized schools because its in Brooklyn

Nobody really gives a hoot about Bronx Science either

It's really Stuyvesant that's in the crosshairs over all of this.
Hard to say. I think Bronx Science and Brooklyn Tech has more visual and sentimental value.

It a bit of a slap in the face to any bronx resident to know there is a prestigious school in your borough that mainly serves queens and manhattan residents. In addition, Brooklyn Tech had one of the largest black alumni base and was a source of pride within the Brooklyn black community (until the asians took over).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 11:15 AM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Hard to say. I think Bronx Science and Brooklyn Tech has more visual and sentimental value.

It a bit of a slap in the face to any bronx resident to know there is a prestigious school in your borough that mainly serves queens and manhattan residents. In addition, Brooklyn Tech had one of the largest black alumni base and was a source of pride within the Brooklyn black community (until the asians took over).
Back in the day, the bar to get into these SHS was much lower, since there were no Asian students to compete with (and also there were much less students period.) The city didn't scale SHS slots with growing all time high student population. They should've opened up a lot more SHS to keep up with the numbers if they wanted to keep the admission scores low enough. In the 90s and 2000s there was a double whammy of large numbers of East Asians and ex-communist eastern European students coming in who are good in STEM and they pretty much bumped everyone else (the natives) down.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:27 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I agree with you. I saw that article.

I also wonder why there is all this uproar about the "lack of diversity" of these specialized schools only NOW, when they are 65% Asian.
What about when they were 65% WHITE several decades ago? Why was THAT not a problem??

I definitely see anti-Asian sentiment in this.
Yep. That was my precise thought. When my brother and I later on attended Stuy, caucasians were still the dominant group. Just barely but still the majority.

And De Blasio is all of a sudden putting this on the table now after his own son has successfully graduated out of B'klyn Tech.

Last edited by Aeran; 06-12-2018 at 12:11 PM..

Old 06-12-2018, 11:38 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
These science/math high schools used to only be open to boys. When they were opened to girls, I don't recall any special quota to even out the student body. That just seemed to have happened naturally as cultural changes took place.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:39 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Back in the day, the bar to get into these SHS was much lower, since there were no Asian students to compete with (and also there were much less students period.) The city didn't scale SHS slots with growing all time high student population. They should've opened up a lot more SHS to keep up with the numbers if they wanted to keep the admission scores low enough. In the 90s and 2000s there was a double whammy of large numbers of East Asians and ex-communist eastern European students coming in who are good in STEM and they pretty much bumped everyone else (the natives) down.
It was "lower" from a population standpoint! When the population grew, the competition grew! Folk weren't prepared for that! But the educational and political breakdowns over the years that myself and Bronxguyanese talked about also exasperated the situation, as well....!

Old 06-12-2018, 11:50 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Not necessarily. My gripe is getting little THrockmorton Wharton and Bubbles Biddle, with the IQ's of rutabagas, get into top flight schools simply because their families can easily afford $10,000 worth of test prep
Well not only that. There is the legacy preference that exists amongst the Ivies. I remember my classmate's roommate at Columbia telling me that she only applied to two universities: Harvard & Columbia with Columbia being her "safe school". She was that sure she was going to get into Columbia because two of her sisters were either enrolled or graduated from Columbia. When you apply to Columbia, there's a section inquiring if any of your siblings are currently enrolled or graduated from the University.

So, these things have never been all that fair to begin with.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:51 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Why don't the city just revamp most schools to be at the same level as SHS. It's stupid to play a ladder game. It doesn't matter you put affirmative action to get some access to SHS that may not take advantage afterwards. Improve all schools by hiring more good teachers and update the school programs.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:55 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Well not only that. There is the legacy preference that exists amongst the Ivies. I remember my classmate's roommate at Columbia telling me that she only applied to two universities: Harvard & Columbia with Columbia being her "safe school". She was that sure she was going to get into Columbia because two of her sisters were either enrolled or graduated from Columbia. When you apply to Columbia, there's a section inquiring if any of your siblings are currently enrolled or graduated from the University.

So, these things have never been all that fair to begin with.
All the Ivies ask if you have relatives there. You gave families that have attended these universities for generations and who have donated to these universities over the generations. Example George H.W.Bush, George W. Bush and Barbara Bush (granddaughter) all attended Yale University. I knew a kid whose family had gone to Cornell for 5 generations.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:56 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,880,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
It was "lower" from a population standpoint! When the population grew, the competition grew! Folk weren't prepared for that! But the educational and political breakdowns over the years that myself and Bronxguyanese talked about also exasperated the situation, as well....!
Population is only growing via foreign born immigrants while locals are leaving. So the situation is amplified with the hallowing of the middle class. Seems a bit radical to think illegal immigrants family is suppose to have the red carpet rolled out for them in both having their parents attain all the benefits of citizenship and legislate equal education outcome as an american family.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:59 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
It doesn't mean you're screwed. It means you go to NYU, or some other good but non-Ivy school.

You also don't have to go to a great high school to go to a great university, but the top high schools are known quantities. Admission committees know what they're getting from a student at Stuyvesant, Hunter, Collegiate, Horace Mann etc. College counselors at these types of schools are also better equipped to prepare these applicants and advocate on their behalf.
In short these students wasted their time. Truthfully a person from the top 5 percent of any high school has a decent chance of going to any top university. Top 30% one has a good chance of getting into NYU or any second tier school. This is regardless of the high school one attends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City