Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 12:26 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I've worked in education, it's way more complex than this kid is supposedly gifted or this kid is supposedly slower. Even that is affected by conditions at home. Kids who are malnourished for example will have learning difficulties due to malnourishment. A kid exposed to lead in NYC's housing projects (or for that matter in certain private apartments) may have developmental disabilities as well .
All those "complex" factors are exactly why there needs to be better targeted resources. The malnourished kid given more attention in a functional system will identify him/her as malnourished and remedy the situation and when they improve qualify for a different approach in instruction. If that kid turns out to be quite brilliant, he/she deserves more advanced resources o foster their ability

The kid exposed to lead, unfortunately, is most likely irredeemable and will suffer a life full of difficulty and emotional problems. (Environment lead is the only factor found to correlate with long term crime patterns in all parts of the country). But an effort needs to be made for a slower tier of education to at least try to give the kid the basics so he/she has a shot at a functional life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 12:35 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
All those "complex" factors are exactly why there needs to be better targeted resources. The malnourished kid given more attention in a functional system will identify him/her as malnourished and remedy the situation and when they improve qualify for a different approach in instruction. If that kid turns out to be quite brilliant, he/she deserves more advanced resources o foster their ability

The kid exposed to lead, unfortunately, is most likely irredeemable and will suffer a life full of difficulty and emotional problems. (Environment lead is the only factor found to correlate with long term crime patterns in all parts of the country). But an effort needs to be made for a slower tier of education to at least try to give the kid the basics so he/she has a shot at a functional life
While it maybe too late for people who currently have severe exposure to lead, the city needs to have lead paint and other things contaminated with lead REMOVED from all buildings and properly disposed. Those people exposed to lead, if they have a life full of cognitive issues will be permanent wards of the state in some form or another.

Obviously there needs to be an intervention in the case of malnourished kids, and either ACS needs to work with the parents to remedy that or if they are incapable of working with ACS they may need to find new homes for the children.

Of course, mass incarceration of parents for drugs often leads children to be placed in precarious conditions where they don't have enough food or otherwise attention to develop properly, and therefore face cognitive issues.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:41 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
Because you're illegitimate. If you were the real deal you would be rather open about where you did your post doctoral training and your credentials.

You've also demonstrated no knowledge of issues in US education, since after all you think the government in the US can legally SEND anyone to whatever job that want to. Newsflash, the government here has no such authority. Have you even lived in the US, or you one of the Russian trolls that they speak of in the news?
Think whatever you want, I already said it doesn't interest me. People of achievement have much more reason to protect their identity than losers, so also maybe they do not care to list their CV on an Internet forum (plus, the particular institution where I was for the final 5 years of my professional training, for 2 years of professional practice, and for 8 additional years as a part time research associate while I practiced elsewhere, literally DOES forbid public use of its name, except for professional purposes). But, having noticed how your brilliant mind works, it doesn't surprise me that you would make up conspiracy theories about trivialities, such as who exactly I might be :-).

I did not mention any GOVERNMENT (including the US government) sending anybody to any job (that was actually not done even by the communist government that I experienced in my first 23 years of life... possibly because there were no jobs in that particular "people's economy" :-). Please show where I mentioned the US government sending anybody on any job (although it is actually normally done in some US government jobs, eg, if you are in the Army, you get sent for whatever job the government sends you). But I was not talking about that, not talking about the government at all. If you don't like the word "send", that's fine. But, for the sake of illustration, the best jobs in my profession are never advertised: the department chairman at the Ivy League institution where I finished my training would get a letter from a medical practice looking for a good recent graduate to add to their group, and the chair would post these letters on a board outside of his office. If there were people interested in the job, the chair would send them to talk to the interested medical group, and if everything mutually worked out, upon finishing the training, the institution would send the trainees on their way to these jobs. I used "send" in that kind of meaning. If places offering certain low level jobs had that kind of communication with high schools, it would be easier to find a better situation for failing high school students than the places where they frequently end up (street, jail, pregnant at 14...).

Old 06-14-2018, 12:55 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
Quote:
I studied history at Cornell University. BA in History. I taught ESL. My MA from Columbia University is an English Education (Teachers College).
With your humanities focus, I don't think you appreciate the importance of being able to take advanced science and math classes in high school if you're trying to get into a good STEM program. I would also say that having advanced math and science courses in high school also has a tremendous impact on STEM students' ability to succeed once they're already at university.

I'm not even sure if my zoned high-school offered Pre-calc.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:14 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
With your humanities focus, I don't think you appreciate the importance of being able to take advanced science and math classes in high school if you're trying to get into a good STEM program. I would also say that having advanced math and science courses in high school also has a tremendous impact on STEM students' ability to succeed once they're already at university.

I'm not even sure if my zoned high-school offered Pre-calc.
And you missed out the part where I said it is WRONG to have certain subjects taught as just a FEW schools.

Because that is deliberately throwing most NYC public schools under the bus.

Calculus should be offered at ALL PUBLIC schools, not at public schools serving two percent of the population.

So I do appreciate the nature of the subjects influencing whether students can be able to get admissions into an university program, but that exists in the humanities as well. You do realize there are requirements beyond basic humanities to get into colleges of arts and sciences, and there are graduation requirements from these colleges as well.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
And you missed out the part where I said it is WRONG to have certain subjects taught as just a FEW schools.

Because that is deliberately throwing most NYC public schools under the bus.

Calculus should be offered at ALL PUBLIC schools, not at public schools serving two percent of the population.
So your opinion is that there are enough students at every school in NYC that would be able to take Calculus AB, let alone BC?

Old 06-14-2018, 01:24 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,709,317 times
Quote:
AFAIK, it is offered in every public school that has enough qualifying kids for a full class. Specialized high schools do not get any preferential treatment when it comes to funding, they get funded just like any other public high school.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
So I do appreciate the nature of the subjects influencing whether students can be able to get admissions into an university program, but that exists in the humanities as well. You do realize there are requirements beyond basic humanities to get into colleges of arts and sciences, and there are graduation requirements from these colleges as well.
Cornell only lists a specific number of units (ex. "4 of English") for admission to the college of arts and sciences, it does not list any specific courses. Admission to the Engineering school specifically requires Calculus and Physics.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:35 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
The impact is overstated most of the people it matters for are driven enough to self study and learn it themselves. This policy isn't going to fix the underline problems, it is just moving headcount around. The bottom will fall when every who is motivated and cares for their child's education options out of the public school system. Most of you keep ignoring how taking away the honor program from black and hispanic community drove the majority of high achieving black and hispanic families to option out of local zoned schools.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
The impact is overstated most of the people it matters for are driven enough to self study and learn it themselves.
I would imagine that even if you did well on the tests, most schools would still want to see it on your transcript.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City