Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2018, 04:14 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
While I would like both black and Latino kids to do better in school, I definitely disagree that they need to be like Asian nerds to succeed. Most white kids don't even do the "Asian tiger kid" thing.
It's a different culture, and no, white parents don't seek to adopt it (but some don't see the irony of telling other minorities to "be like them").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 04:18 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
It's been a goal for elite colleges for many years at this point. You can do some research on how admissions officers decide who gets to be in a freshman class. There are more than enough outstanding applicants from all backgrounds to make that happen. Yes, there are quotas, regional, gender, foreign applicants, legacy, specific schools. You can look up what "yield" means in college admissions.
As far as I know, overt quotas are not legal, but I'm sure the goal remains a certain level of diversity, whether gender, class based, racial etc. And don't forget $$$.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:57 PM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
So there are quotas in college admissions? Please explain.

Why are you upset about affirmative action for blacks but not for the advantage that it has given to women?

Affirmative Action Is Great For White Women. So Why Do They Hate It?https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0d8cc1098d3a5

Why do they hate it? Because decent people of any gender (or race or ethnicity) want to achieve goals by their own efforts. The original suffragettes lobbied for EQUAL rights with men, not for preferential treatment, quotas and handouts. If somebody handed me something I didn't deserve, something not based on my performance, I would feel like a thief and a fraud.

On a different subject, I love it how NYWDude says the tenants of public housing have legal grounds to sue due to lead paint and whatever - that's all that people who do nothing for themselves (let alone for anyone else) know how to actually do: taxpayers give them a major free gift, and they want to sue because they'd like a better gift! :-). Dude, for your info, suing the government for keeping you in a concentration camp is not in the same category as suing the government for giving you as a gift a home in a very expensive city, which home might have lead paint :-).

All of the places where I rented (out of my meager, but self-earned, sources) for my first 17 years in tbe US had lead paint. So? I don't eat paint, as most adults don't either. People who can't afford to provide for their kids (who might eat paint) should not have kids, as I didn't.

The only thing I want is to live in a civilized society, where people do not harass and exploit other people - no more, no less. All I have done in my life was with the purpose to reach that goal, and to contribute to building of a civilization. One does not even need to be particularly educated to be that way, and certainly not rich or even minimally financially stable, and one most certainly does not need to be white. It is extremely irritating to put your efforts into that, and see some people tearing it down. I have provided (a million times :-) the example of Parkchester, a truly well built and well situated living complex, meant as a massive architectural gift to decent though not rich people, which at some point was torn down by people who weren't decent (which thank goodness has been much remedied in the past 15 years). Obviously, the problem was not with Parkchester buildings (which stand as solid now as in 1940 when they were built, and when the model of Parkchester was exhibited at the World Fair, due to its major architectural merits)... and then you get some ignorant riffraff to call them a ghetto, and endlessly complain about everything there. If you gave such people the Buckingham Palace for free, they would complain that it has lead paint. People who never seriously work for anything, and don't bother to learn anything except commonplace urban myths and superstitions, indeed do not know the value of anything either. So why give them anything as an unearned gift, only so they can tear it down, and claim that "the history" made them tear it down!

No wonder such people don't in fact want equal rights, but much superior rights, for themselves.

As for the immigrants, it took me 29 years to get my US citizenship, and the procedure with which I complied was far harder and more restrictive than what Trump is proposing (my understanding is that he wants to end illegal immigration, and deport criminal immigrants. I was never in the US illegally, and did not pursue crime, so it is not that I don't care about other immigrants now that I got my citizenship. My method of immigration, ie, the immigration according to legal rules, by law-respecting people, will remain unaffected with or without Trump. Btw, his current wife is an immigrant, from my former country, no less :-).

Sorry, I am typing this while doing two other things, so the post is all over the place, but advanced education, housing and US immigration do have a common thread: one should EARN them, with one's own effort and one's personal decency.

Last edited by elnrgby; 06-16-2018 at 06:05 PM..

Old 06-16-2018, 06:40 PM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I'll address something else. It seems certain white people like to RUN their mouthes on things that they know absolutely nothing about.

Being that the civil rights ONLY opened up universities to AAs in the 1960s and 1970s, it would take AAs multiple generations to catch up with WHITE people in terms of wealth. For people born before a certain date it would be impossible for them to catch up, and considering that one source of wealth is inheritance, AA wealth will be depressed for quite sometime.

Before WW2 AAs often did not even go to high school. Why would they? Our grandparents were mostly FARMERS and DOMESTICS. Since that was ALL they could do, and since it was LEGAL to discriminate.

So in what alternative universe would people who were basically slaves, even when the law is changed, instantly all become well off?

It's not like parents who have difficulty reading and who have never had access to professional jobs are going to be that great at giving advice to their children.

Some of you seem to like to bash AAs. Well, if I were you I'd be more concerned about Trump's rather severe crackdown on LEGAL immigration, and the bills pending in Congress, plus his stepping up the deportation of undocumented. Oh, you already have your citizenship, so you aren't affected. Some of the kids at Stuyvesant won't be so lucky.............

A great proportion of people of all races in this country has grandparents who were farmers and domestics. A relatively small proportion of white people have an inherited wealth, not to speak of immigrants of all races who come to the US with nothing in the way of material assets (like myself). I am not bashing AAs, I am just bashing the expectation that things should be handed to a certain group of people just because they were historically disadvantaged - when they are no more disadvantaged NOW than most other groups of people. Yes, slavery was very ugly, but most of the history was very ugly to many groups of people. You actually need only one generation to go from nothing to solid self sufficiency - and I would add, you can do it much more effectively if you rely on yourself rather than on handouts (I am speaking from some degree of experience :-)..

Old 06-16-2018, 08:02 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
You can debate whether or not diversity should be a goal in any elite institution. I had read somewhere that if admissions at elite universities were purely grades and test scores, the ivies would overwhelmingly female.

Is the somewhat balanced gender ratio a form of affirmative action?

Just curious what you think - do you think that diversity should be a goal in elite college admissions?
Yes.

And no.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm simply not in favor of holding any group to lower standards.

Me neither. I think it's very patronizing.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:05 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
A great proportion of people of all races in this country has grandparents who were farmers and domestics. A relatively small proportion of white people have an inherited wealth, not to speak of immigrants of all races who come to the US with nothing in the way of material assets (like myself). I am not bashing AAs, I am just bashing the expectation that things should be handed to a certain group of people just because they were historically disadvantaged - when they are no more disadvantaged NOW than most other groups of people. Yes, slavery was very ugly, but most of the history was very ugly to many groups of people. You actually need only one generation to go from nothing to solid self sufficiency - and I would add, you can do it much more effectively if you rely on yourself rather than on handouts (I am speaking from some degree of experience :-)..
You have an advanced degree without taking loans? That's impressive.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-16-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
It's a different culture, and no, white parents don't seek to adopt it (but some don't see the irony of telling other minorities to "be like them").
Believe it or not, there are towns where there are basically only white and Asian kids, and there is a debate whether white parents/kids should adopt the "Asian tiger MO" (for lack of a better description) in order to keep up/compete with Asian students.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post

All of the places where I rented (out of my meager, but self-earned, sources) for my first 17 years in tbe US had lead paint. So? I don't eat paint, as most adults don't either. People who can't afford to provide for their kids (who might eat paint) should not have kids, as I didn't.

I find myself agreeing with much of what you write here.

I also have thought long and hard about whether or not to have kids, on a middle/lower middle class income.

I do find it galling when others who very clearly cannot afford to provide for their children (they have NO jobs, perhaps have never held a job in their lives), do not hesitate to have not just one, but many children...

Old 06-16-2018, 08:13 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
I cant help it, but it feels like the zebras are commenting on how it feels like to be a giraffe. A lot of crap like that on this forum.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City