Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 07:51 AM

34,003 posts, read 47,230,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
One of these day the feds will get rid of cash. That will make panhandling difficult to impossible.
Ppl still ask for food once in a while

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 08:13 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Ppl still ask for food once in a while
lol Really? It's been several years since that's happened. Years ago I was eating my lunch from Whole Foods in Trump Plaza on the Upper West Side. I had a sandwich, fruit and a side and some sort of dessert. I'm eating the side (that cranberry couscous thing they usually have) and had the fruit out and here comes this lady who I eventually realized was homeless. She literally tried to snatch the food from me while pretending to be looking at a statue that was near me. I was shocked, annoyed but also found it funny, then sad. Took me back to my childhood for a second. Anyway, I believe out of all of the food that I had, I gave my sandwich away to a homeless guy on the subway, so all I had was this little side and some grapes and that small dessert. lol

I don't mind buying people food. I've done it in the past when asked, but don't ask me to buy food when you really want money. That I won't do.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:20 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,536,773 times
Panhandlers were normal when I was growing up in the city.

Giulani became mayor, and miraculously they disappeared. Bloomberg able to contain it also.

Deblasio becomes mayor, and now its back.
But I'm in the suburbs now so not my problem anymore.
Liberals complaining about Giuliani cleaning up the dirt and wishing from a grimy NYC should be happy Deblasio is giving them what they want.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
lol Really? It's been several years since that's happened. Years ago I was eating my lunch from Whole Foods in Trump Plaza on the Upper West Side. I had a sandwich, fruit and a side and some sort of dessert. I'm eating the side (that cranberry couscous thing they usually have) and had the fruit out and here comes this lady who I eventually realized was homeless. She literally tried to snatch the food from me while pretending to be looking at a statue that was near me. I was shocked, annoyed but also found it funny, then sad. Took me back to my childhood for a second. Anyway, I believe out of all of the food that I had, I gave my sandwich away to a homeless guy on the subway, so all I had was this little side and some grapes and that small dessert. lol

I don't mind buying people food. I've done it in the past when asked, but don't ask me to buy food when you really want money. That I won't do.
Actually this morning a homeless person was asking ppl for food on my train. A lady offered him some change and he actually turned it down.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:27 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,074,137 times
HI all,

I am E-panhandling. Please donate to my GoFund Me page. The funds will be used to visit tropical beaches across the world and take high pics of the beaches and the tiddays!

Old 06-04-2018, 08:55 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Actually this morning a homeless person was asking ppl for food on my train. A lady offered him some change and he actually turned it down.
That's interesting. What I haven't seen on the subways in a while are those guys that go around with the sandwiches and fruit and make announcements about donating change or pennies. I always wondered, is that stuff really fresh and where did they get it from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
HI all,

I am E-panhandling. Please donate to my GoFund Me page. The funds will be used to visit tropical beaches across the world and take high pics of the beaches and the tiddays!
LOL! That sounds revolutionary.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:23 AM

766 posts, read 507,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Panhandlers were normal when I was growing up in the city.

Giulani became mayor, and miraculously they disappeared. Bloomberg able to contain it also.

Deblasio becomes mayor, and now its back.
But I'm in the suburbs now so not my problem anymore.
Liberals complaining about Giuliani cleaning up the dirt and wishing from a grimy NYC should be happy Deblasio is giving them what they want.
I dislike de blasio

But it was not all roses when Giuliani and Bloomberg was on the scene. Homelessness was increasing dramatically over their course of being mayor. We didn’t just end up with over 60,000 in homeless over 4 years.

Giuliani was just sending them to rikers every few days until they were let back on the streets. It’s was more of an in out, which made it look less worse but the problem was increasing. As Bloomberg stepped in, development increased and gentrification started to speed up. Displacing more people.

There is an in between area that should be addressed. Throwing homeless in prison for a Night isn’t going to work and not doing anything isn’t going to work either. Like I said nyc needs to end their subsidization to people from out of state, if you can’t prove you are a New Yorker no help. This would stop people from coming here without a pot to **** in hoping for affordable housing. Also ban tourist from giving cash (food etc is okay)

Old 06-04-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
That's interesting. What I haven't seen on the subways in a while are those guys that go around with the sandwiches and fruit and make announcements about donating change or pennies. I always wondered, is that stuff really fresh and where did they get it from?
I was surprised myself that he refused the change. Plus, you saw the weather this morning, he just had on a t-shirt, no sweater or jacket, that change could have went towards a hot drink maybe at least.

Yeah you're right, I haven't seen those people in a long time myself, they used to be out on the streets more

I've always wondered about those ppl, some of them had to have worked at a legit non-profit...?

Old 06-04-2018, 11:50 AM

500 posts, read 571,277 times
How do you make it illegal? Fine the homeless guy with what money? Put them in prison and the public ends up paying 100k a year plus for each one.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:22 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,074,137 times
HI all

This is Pastor Ryu. I need a G5 airplane to spead the word of tiddays.

Please donate 25K to my IheartJesus Go Fund Me Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City