Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2018, 02:13 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times

Advertisements

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-yor...ols-1527971146

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/02/n...k-schools.html

The eight specialized high schools enroll 15,540 students; Half are low-income, while 62% are Asian, 24% are white, 6% are Latino, and 4% are black, according to city data.

Mr. de Blasio proposed was replacing the test, called the SHSAT, with a new method that would admit students based on their class rank at their middle school and their scores on statewide standardized tests. That change would require approval from the State Legislature, which has shown little appetite for such a move. A bill outlining those changes was introduced in the Assembly on Friday.

Some parents voiced their support for the changes. Harriet Hines, a Brooklyn mother of three, applauded ending the test, which she said was unfair to children who didn’t get test preparation or summer enrichment programs..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 03:40 PM

186 posts, read 267,651 times
As Someone who graduated from a NYC Specialized High School
I busted my ass studying and attending all free tutor sessions etc ,
Single parent home ,low income etc
I traveled every day back and forth from Brooklyn to Manhattan
because i wanted it so bad .
Had to keep my grades up very few absences
did every extra credit opportunity that presented it self .

I think some children today are just lazy !

I feel the true solution would be to offer more widespread free test prep and summer enrichment programs to those students
that want to apply themselves .

I would have never wanted to attend my school because i came from a low income family !

How will these children hold up in class ?
The students are highly motivated and very invested in there education .

im conflicted .

Old 06-04-2018, 03:45 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-yor...ols-1527971146

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/02/n...k-schools.html

The eight specialized high schools enroll 15,540 students; Half are low-income, while 62% are Asian, 24% are white, 6% are Latino, and 4% are black, according to city data.

Mr. de Blasio proposed was replacing the test, called the SHSAT, with a new method that would admit students based on their class rank at their middle school and their scores on statewide standardized tests. That change would require approval from the State Legislature, which has shown little appetite for such a move. A bill outlining those changes was introduced in the Assembly on Friday.

Some parents voiced their support for the changes. Harriet Hines, a Brooklyn mother of three, applauded ending the test, which she said was unfair to children who didn’t get test preparation or summer enrichment programs..

You are all kinds of late on this; there is already a thread on subject with a very active discussion.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...dmissions.html

Old 06-04-2018, 04:50 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Not only is this late, but it’s also misleading. This is a proposal at the moment, not actually enacted.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:01 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
The problems that I have with the efforts to revamp the entrance process is that it is discriminatory against Asian American students and that it puts greater importance on these schools than they deserve. Yes, the specialized high schools are fine schools, indeed, but they are not the end all be all of high schools in the NYC DOE. Far from it.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:56 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
I agree that the changes may affect working class and poor Asian American students.

Also...can't some things simply be merit-based?
Must everything be affected by "affirmative action"??

Old 06-05-2018, 06:59 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I agree that the changes may affect working class and poor Asian American students.

Also...can't some things simply be merit-based?
Must everything be affected by "affirmative action"??
And can't kids have worth beyond being test taking machines?

Old 06-05-2018, 07:21 AM

1,183 posts, read 707,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
And can't kids have worth beyond being test taking machines?

That's the 98% of the schools already. What's your point?

Everyone already is *special* and they don't get "test-shamed." They are free not to graduate, like 40% of kids already don't, pursue any old job, shoot hoops and ride the subways. The vast majority of NYC schooling is nothing near test-prep machines. That's your argument? That everyone should be that way?

Seriously, you and your ilk trying to keep strivers down.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:24 AM

47 posts, read 36,809 times
I wonder if it was the other way around where Blacks & Hispanics make up the majority of the seats in these specialized high schools, would we even question the current method of admitting students to these high schools?

Old 06-05-2018, 08:36 AM

90 posts, read 71,744 times
If SHSAT is eliminated, then it wouldn't be called "Specialized High Schools" anymore. It would just be High Schools.

Some people here like to assume Asian American students are "test taking machines", but the truth is these students who do whatever it takes to pull through. A more holistic approach, the Asian students will adopt to meet the standard. That's why Deblasio saying he is reserving 20% to black and Hispanics students is a slap in the face to Asian Americans. Because the seats aren't earned, it is given. This will lead to people who earned it, and people who were just placed in.

The specialized high schools are challenging. It isn't about taking a "test". It makes you think, and the problem stems from Black and Hispanic community not placing a lot of emphasis on education.

67% of NYC students are blacks and Hispanics. But only 15% shows up for the SHSAT test. How can you expect them to get in if they don't even bother showing up for the SHSAT?

Altering the school demographics from a COLORBLIND and MERITOCRATIC way to get in to appease "diversity" will ruin the school and smart people will have to be dumbed down. This is the American approach, to pull smart people down instead of appreciating their efforts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: