Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 06:47 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Shouldn't we be starting a petition to fight this type of government run racism? Or are you just a complete hypocrite?
What is this "we" you're talking about?

If you feel strongly about it, make your petition. I personally have no problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 06:49 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

If you feel strongly about it, make your petition. I personally have no problem with it.
Sorry, I thought you were anti-racism too.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:53 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
Baldwin has changed a lot. At one time it was deemed a school of excellence, but certainly not anymore. My friend opted to use her ex husband's address to ensure that her children are educated in Manhasset/Lake Success, rather than send them to Baldwin.
I graduated from there 5 years ago (my sister still goes there), the school is still great. I know first hand that any kid who actually cares can get a great education.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You implied it by harping on how you didn't think certain groups have that issue as if that somehow makes them better. I'm well aware of their look, but they sure as hell don't look black even if there are blacks in Ecuador and Peru. The Ecuadorians and Peruvians coming here still tend to be in better shape financially. They may not be solidly middle class, but you generally don't find them living in extreme poverty here like you do with Puerto Ricans and Dominicans. My point is there are a number of factors why different Latino groups have children that perform at different levels... Economic situations, households, skin color, etc. I'd also be willing to put money on it that a lot of the "indigenous" looking Latinos still check off "white" when they have the choice because they aspire to be white. White=successful in this country as sickening as that story line is.
Well of course they're not black, but the way you were using light skinned implied white Latinos such as the ones you'd find in Uruguay or Argentina (however those countries are not as white as they are on paper).

And trust me that them indentifying as white on the US census (which forces you to pick a race and not just Hispanic/Latino) does not mean they think they're white. I do not know a single Ecuadorian, Peruvian, Colombian, etc. who identifies as white.

Quote:
So why when Pierre says something negative about Latinos, do you try to single South Americans out as being better than the rest?

Why uniquely try to defend South Americans, instead of all Latinos? I grew up in Jackson Heights, around Andean Latinos and a lot went to prison for prostitution, drug dealing, got busted in immigration sweeps, etc and of course there were lots of broken families.

With that said, of course there were people who did well and who made the upper middle class. But that is true of Dominicans, Mexicans, or any other Latino group. Or for that matter any group of people.
You see, I DO defend all Latinos as people. I've been regularly doing it since I started posting here 3 years ago. If he complained about Mexican people or Dominican people I would definitely call him out on it.

But, in terms of academic success, of course I can only "defend" people if they perform well academically on average. That doesn't mean I think less of Mexican kids, I just can't use them as an example of excelling in academics collectively. Hopefully one day I'll be able to. Maybe Bluedog can provide some insight here because he actually works at a school with various types of Hispanic students.

Something I want to note is that if I bring up Latinos from the Andes doing well, it is not to knock other Latino groups , but to go against the common white supremacist narrative that Hispanic groups are destined for failure unless they're white.

Also, the 80s was a long time ago, Jackson Heights has gotten so safe that even white yuppies will move there.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:49 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,337 times
Quote:
That's not why I don't like elite public schools.

I do not care about the demographics per say of elite public schools. I don't like ELITE public schools because elite public schools have absolutely no business existing in the public school system which is supposed to be for ALL students.

Asian Americans are a tiny minority, and yes they are not the majority of voters. And in a democracy, the majority rules. And the majority of New Yorkers of any race, including Asians do not have their kids at these "elite" public schools.

I agree that all public schools should get the same amount of funding. NYC, even though it is seen as a melting pot, is highly segregated demographically. If asians and whites now attending these elite schools are told they must go to the schools in their neighborhood it will not solve the problem of other underperforming minority schools.

You will simply have elite public schools in Asian and upper class white neighborhoods. Motivated parents of these students will still find a way to supplement funding and resources for their kids schools.

High performing, driven students will excell no matter what.

Deblasio needs to go speak to the principal and administrator of that high performing school in Elmont. They send numerous kids to ivy leagues every year! Some kids are even accepted to multiple ivy league schools. The school doesn't have the resources of the wealthy long island neighborhoods. The demographics is overwhelmingly minority and somehow theur kids are excelling.

Mediocrity should never be pushed as the standard. They are making a big deal about the 7% that will now get spots in these elite schools. But what about the 93% who are stuck in average to underperforming schools?

Many of these kids are just as poor. Why should they be punished for having discipline and ambition.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
I agree that all public schools should get the same amount of funding. NYC, even though it is seen as a melting pot, is highly segregated demographically. If asians and whites now attending these elite schools are told they must go to the schools in their neighborhood it will not solve the problem of other underperforming minority schools.

You will simply have elite public schools in Asian and upper class white neighborhoods. Motivated parents of these students will still find a way to supplement funding and resources for their kids schools.

High performing, driven students will excell no matter what.

Deblasio needs to go speak to the principal and administrator of that high performing school in Elmont. They send numerous kids to ivy leagues every year! Some kids are even accepted to multiple ivy league schools. The school doesn't have the resources of the wealthy long island neighborhoods. The demographics is overwhelmingly minority and somehow theur kids are excelling.

Mediocrity should never be pushed as the standard. They are making a big deal about the 7% that will now get spots in these elite schools. But what about the 93% who are stuck in average to underperforming schools?

Many of these kids are just as poor. Why should they be punished for having discipline and ambition.
But as I was saying before, it's not like Asians have these regular public high schools to themselves

Old 06-07-2018, 12:41 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,816,567 times
its pathetic these people in charge can't understand why really black and hispanics do poorly

Old 06-07-2018, 12:56 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times
Asians are succeeding better than any other minority that has been going on in every US city forever.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:12 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Well of course they're not black, but the way you were using light skinned implied white Latinos such as the ones you'd find in Uruguay or Argentina (however those countries are not as white as they are on paper).

And trust me that them indentifying as white on the US census (which forces you to pick a race and not just Hispanic/Latino) does not mean they think they're white. I do not know a single Ecuadorian, Peruvian, Colombian, etc. who identifies as white.

You see, I DO defend all Latinos as people. I've been regularly doing it since I started posting here 3 years ago. If he complained about Mexican people or Dominican people I would definitely call him out on it.

But, in terms of academic success, of course I can only "defend" people if they perform well academically on average. That doesn't mean I think less of Mexican kids, I just can't use them as an example of excelling in academics collectively. Hopefully one day I'll be able to. Maybe Bluedog can provide some insight here because he actually works at a school with various types of Hispanic students.

Something I want to note is that if I bring up Latinos from the Andes doing well, it is not to knock other Latino groups , but to go against the common white supremacist narrative that Hispanic groups are destined for failure unless they're white.

Also, the 80s was a long time ago, Jackson Heights has gotten so safe that even white yuppies will move there.
Jackson Heights is nowhere near hooker or drug free and is still full of sleezy bars. As for Mexicans, of course there are Mexicans who perform well academically. There are people who perform well in every group and there are people who perform poorly in every group.

The fact you pretend all Andeans do well and all Mexicans do poorly is more about shielding yourself from Pierre’s comments. But by your own admission in this forum you did not graduate from Binghamton. Newsflash no one will care about what your group did if you cannot perform yourself.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:19 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:

Who are the "you" that the chancellor is talking down too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City