Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2018, 06:58 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
This guy's mouth is going to get his behind in trouble or whipped.

"City schools Chancellor Richard Carranza had a message Tuesday for activists who oppose an overhaul of the city’s specialized public high schools where Asians are a majority: You don’t own those classrooms."

Chancellor Carranza to parents at Asian-dominated schools opposing desegregation plan: You don't own these classrooms - NY Daily News
Wow. How disrespectful. Would he talk like that to any other group of parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Asians are succeeding better than any other minority that has been going on in every US city forever.
For sure. 40 years ago I had (white, middle class/lower middle class) friends who lived and were raising their kids on the Lower East Side. They did what they could to make sure their kids got to go to school in Chinatown (hardly an upper-class neighborhood, then or now). Why? Because the Chinatown elementary schools were performing well/better than the Lower East Side public schools and they wanted their kids there!

(The kids now are Ivy League graduates and professionals, by the way)

Old 06-07-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I stand by this policy because to me it's a step in ending these schools as they are altogether.
But I still don't see what is so terrible about these schools?

They are schools that kids get into, fair and square, due to their academic merit - these kids want a challenging academic program in high school and they have worked hard to get into a school that will provide it.

(By the way, I know plenty of black and Latino friends who have gotten in and attended Stuyvesant and Bronx Science)

Just as we have selective public schools for kids that excell in the arts: LaGuardia, Art and Design, etc.
Not everyone gets in, just those who have cultivated their artistic talent and have worked hard doing so.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:48 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times
what would Trump's executive order be in this situation?

pretty sure he'd destroy blasio's idea

Old 06-07-2018, 03:30 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
If students lack motivation it doesn't matter what school they go to they will still become dropouts.

Many Asian families spend a lot on after school education to supplement their studies and I doubt black and latino family spend as much.

There are tons of prep schools in Asian neighborhoods.

Public education isn't enough even with top teachers. Parents still need to invest in their kids outside of schools.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:40 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
But I still don't see what is so terrible about these schools?

They are schools that kids get into, fair and square, due to their academic merit - these kids want a challenging academic program in high school and they have worked hard to get into a school that will provide it.

(By the way, I know plenty of black and Latino friends who have gotten in and attended Stuyvesant and Bronx Science)

Just as we have selective public schools for kids that excell in the arts: LaGuardia, Art and Design, etc.
Not everyone gets in, just those who have cultivated their artistic talent and have worked hard doing so.
I also don't get why you would want to get rid of these schools. Should private school kids be the only ones with access to these types of resources and opportunities?

Old 06-07-2018, 03:47 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
I'm completely against this idea, however I would also support getting rid of these schools altogether

Old 06-07-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Wow. How disrespectful. Would he talk like that to any other group of parents?
Whites yes, blacks or Latinos no

For what it's worth, I'm Latino and do not support this plan. Getting my future kids into a specialized high school is of zero concern to me, but if my kids wanted to go there, I would want them to be held to the same standards. We don't need communists to hold our hands.

Keep in mind that de Blasio's plan will make it roughly twice as hard for Asian kids to get in.

I also don't know why the mayor and chancellor are pushing this seemingly anti-Asian plan so hard, given that Asians are mostly Democrat voters. Are they trying to lose their support?

Old 06-07-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I also don't get why you would want to get rid of these schools. Should private school kids be the only ones with access to these types of resources and opportunities?
Many of the regular high schools offer advanced programs

Old 06-07-2018, 04:12 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Many of the regular high schools offer advanced programs
But to the same degree? How many other high schools would have similarly equipped labs, or offer as many APb classes, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City