Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2019, 09:19 AM

1,199 posts, read 725,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Bye for those who move out.

It's not the job of public schools to provide specialized services for just two percent of the city's population.

As I've said on another thread, tracking is OPPOSED by all major GRADUATE SCHOOLS of EDUCATION, and especially an extreme major form of tracking like this.

What's sad about this forum is you have poor New Yorkers desperate to get their kids into these schools because they think that they are tickets to the Ivy League, when being in competition with other high achievers LOWERS your chances of getting in.

Universities have diversity requirements, and not just racial. They have geographic diversity (will let in students from all 50 states and from countries around the world), socioeconomic diversity, gender parity, etc.

Now that many Asians who go to these schools cannot get in Harvard, they are suing Harvard. But Harvard will just say they have geographic diversity in mind and they didn't want to let in so many people from the same school.
Except that zero schools in Western Europe, Canada and Australia not to mention the vast majority of countries around the world use "holistic admissions". To get into a European university, you need high test scores and that's it. Pretty much all schools in the UK and British system have tracking. Yet it's only controversial in the US. That's pretty weird.

None of the top colleges in Australia, Canada or Brazil require sport team or extracurricular participation to get in. Yet this "wouldn't work in the US"... wtf? Australia and Brazil are just as diverse as the US Racially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 09:21 AM

124 posts, read 65,308 times
When I was in Jr. High, a guidance counselor actually changed my AP recommendations.

All of my former teachers had recommended me for AP, but it was later discovered that the white female guidance counselor who had just "retired," changed my records. My mom thought about suing, but ultimately decided that it was best to have me transferred to another school. I went on to attend a very diverse school outside of my district and gained admission into a very elite university, but I never forgot that experience at the predominately white Jr. High School.

I do not have children, but if I did, I wouldn't feel comfortable, enrolling my child in a predominately white school. I'd ensure that my child was enrolled in a diverse private school or a very good diverse public school. I'd also ensure that the faculty/administration was diverse, as well.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:05 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Fortunately I live in NJ where each township has their own school system. Atleast in NJ, you can buy into a good school and not have to deal with this crony communism NYC public school system.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:27 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
I've only met one Asian kid who grew up in a rich white suburb. Most Asians who live outside NYC are in Edison, Fort Lee and other ethnically focused areas. BTW many Asian parents in NYC weren't just born here, their parents and grandparents were born here.
I think many Asians in NYC are actually immigrants.
They have a high poverty rate on average, higher than blacks and hispanics in NYC.
And many of these Asian kids speak English as a Second Language.
In short, many are quite disadvantaged.
Yet they disproportionately get into selective high schools in NYC.

Why not learn from them, how they do it, how they succeed, and help other groups do the same.
Rather than punish Asian kids and their parents for their educational emphasis and excellence.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:29 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
Its astounding that racism per se is not a problem - its only when white people are racist.

The Chancellor's comments about Asian this (and previously White that) should bar him from office already. He's in a position of power and he's a divisive racist - what is he still doing employed by the city?

I'm waiting for his comments on Jews - next up.
He is terribly divisive and I feel he has to go.
I wonder how many others feel the same?

It seems on the left that racism against white people (or Asians, or Jews) is a-ok, it's only racism against black people, Latinos, and Muslims that is punishable

Old 06-19-2019, 07:34 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
^ Those other groups are usually silent and non-aggressive so there is no fear of them raising a ruckus.

When was the last time Asians or Jews rioted in the U.S.? Like never?

Old 06-19-2019, 07:44 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
When I was in middle school in NYC, there were clear racists amongst teachers during the 90s. It's not like today where teachers can be filmed. I had teachers that clearly said racist things about Asians and Hispanics. One teacher told me that had the Asians and Hispanics came here before the other immigrants, NYC would look like a 3rd world country.
Through all of my years in public schools, I never had a teacher say anything racist about any group. I had terrible teachers who didn't do a damn thing but never someone who said anything about another group.

Heck, I think half of my seventh grade class was Chinese. And my HS had around a 30% split between Asians, Hispanics and whites.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:10 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
If education is important ,
Why not just provide all the schools with the potential with teachers and facilities for said technical education and if there are no kids qualified in one school for this that's fine . qualification by grade.
If a kid is motivated he will take the initiative to learn and get the education he is after, even if the school he is in does not provide the information he wants .
With the internet there is volumes of learning that can be had .
I didn't think much of my public school training (1955-1969) and did my own research in things and learned volumes. My wife and I tried public schools several times, but they were a waste, so we home schooled and both our children passed the GED with flying colors.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:34 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I think many Asians in NYC are actually immigrants.
They have a high poverty rate on average, higher than blacks and hispanics in NYC.
And many of these Asian kids speak English as a Second Language.
In short, many are quite disadvantaged.
Yet they disproportionately get into selective high schools in NYC.

Why not learn from them, how they do it, how they succeed, and help other groups do the same.
Rather than punish Asian kids and their parents for their educational emphasis and excellence.
In Asia, schools are ultra competitive compare to US. That's why Asian students do much better in school here. Tutoring and prep schools are big business in Asia. Summer school is almost a must.

Do most Hispanic and Blacks send their kids to summer school and tutoring? I doubt it. There are so many tutoring schools in Asian heavy neighborhoods.

For the chancellor to say such racist and anti academic excellence statement. He should've been fired. DeBlasio should also be voted out next term as he supported the same.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:35 AM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
In Asia, schools are ultra competitive compare to US. That's why Asian students do much better in school here. Tutoring and prep schools are big business in Asia. Summer school is almost a must.

Do most Hispanic and Blacks send their kids to summer school and tutoring? I doubt it. There are so many tutoring schools in Asian heavy neighborhoods.

For the chancellor to say such racist and anti academic excellence statement. He should've been fired. DeBlasio should also be voted out next term as he supported the same.
I agree. The only way that a child will do better in school is if his or her parents show them discipline from an early age. Looking at some neighborhoods, you see children of school age loitering outside during school nights. This is a big no-no if parents want their children to ace exams and learn to read at acceptable SAT scoring levels.
I cannot understand how parents leave it up to the school system to teach their kids. This is not how children learn.

Personally, if I were mayor, I'd introduce legislation where every parent is fined $250 if their child of below the age of 16 or less is caught outside on the street between the hours of 6pm and 5:00am. A two time offender would carry a fine of $500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City