Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 09:39 AM

264 posts, read 239,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
it is the the job of the doe to challenge all children and ensure that they're getting an education, not dilute the requirements, which is what they're doing here.
+1 --exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 09:39 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
It IS the the job of the DOE to CHALLENGE all children and ensure that they're getting an education, not dilute the requirements, which is what they're doing here.
It's not the DOE's job to challenge all the children. It is the DOE's job to make sure they all have basic educations, and have basic reading, writing, and math skills (along with basic knowledge in certain subjects). Giving them basic skills means they will be able to WORK post high school (which is what most of them do) and those with the interest can pursue further academic studies.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:45 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's not the DOE's job to challenge all the children. It is the DOE's job to make sure they all have basic educations, and have basic reading, writing, and math skills (along with basic knowledge in certain subjects). Giving them basic skills means they will be able to WORK post high school (which is what most of them do) and those with the interest can pursue further academic studies.
Challenging children is part of the education process at any level. It's absurd to say that they're supposed to give them the basics and not challenge them. As it stands now, they aren't even providing the basics and they refuse to own up to that. Instead, they want to blame Asian parents for pushing their kids to excel. Based on your comments, we should also do away with honors and AP classes because they challenge kids too much and most of the classes don't have high percentages of black and Hispanic children.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:49 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Challenging children is part of the education process at any level. It's absurd to say that they're supposed to give them the basics and not challenge them. As it stands now, they aren't even providing the basics and they refuse to own up to that. Instead, they want to blame Asian parents for pushing their kids to excel. Based on your comments, we should also do away with honors and AP classes because they challenge kids too much and most of the classes don't have high percentages of black and Hispanic children.
All kids should have access to the same resources and classes.

I'm perfectly fine with the elimination of honors classes and AP.

If people want extra courses or education for their kids, they need to pay for them out of their own personal pockets.

And I would say this in a city or state that is entirely one race. I'm not in favor of stuff for "gifted" kids, and I'm in direct opposition to it.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:53 AM

264 posts, read 239,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
Not every Dominican is black nor do they view themselves as black. I can usually tell a Dominican from an AA, they are not all black and many don’t recognize their black ancestry. They fully recognize themselves as Latino, that’s their identity first. They are not apart of the black population and do not fight for our causes.

Less immigrants period are heading to nyc, I know Jamaicans that left nyc for Atlanta. There is a growing African population there as well.
The woman in the below video is Black American (with two brown skin Black parents):
Most Black Americans do have some European ancestry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qof7-6im8KE&t=1936s

Whereas the woman in the below video is from DR, but would more than likely be mistaken for an American Black woman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhFATYqxrnU

Last edited by LovelySummer2020; 06-06-2018 at 10:13 AM..

Old 06-06-2018, 10:01 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
All kids should have access to the same resources and classes.

I'm perfectly fine with the elimination of honors classes and AP.

If people want extra courses or education for their kids, they need to pay for them out of their own personal pockets.

And I would say this in a city or state that is entirely one race. I'm not in favor of stuff for "gifted" kids, and I'm in direct opposition to it.
Public schools are already suffering as it is. Removing honors and AP classes is just dulling down the standards yet again, which is why many parents send their kids to private school in the first place. Public schools used to have a reputation of being good and providing a good education for all children. That won't be the case if we continue to dilute the standards in the name of diversity.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:02 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
the People of NY own the school! we pay taxes=We own school=our voice.

So only the Asianc are made? They are not the only ones that dominate the Majority of Students.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:03 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
That's not the point. My point is Latino students actually perform worse overall academically than black students, yet Mr. Carranza during his interview yesterday on Good Day New York made a specific point to focus on "African-American children" as if their situation was the worse when this is supposedly about black AND Latino children. The other thing that he tried to duck was the question about wouldn't it make more sense to better prepare black and brown students?

His answer was that schools are already doing that. That's a cop out. It's pretty well known that black and Hispanic children don't have access to the same resources to help them academically. For example, when a black or Hispanic student is struggling in class, their parents may not be able to afford a tutor, whereas Asian parents will find a way to make it happen, even if they are poor. I've come under attack for saying this but black and Hispanic parents overall don't value education in the same manner as Asians do, and that's just what it is. Before you go complaining about how South Americans are such high achievers academically, I'm aware of that, but the media doesn't break down the different Latino groups. They lump them all together, justified or not.

If Mr. Carranza and de Blasio want to be so "blunt" about diversity, they should be blunt in why there are such gaps in achievement between these three groups and be blunt in fixing it, not just by changing the standards. When you start trying to "de-segregate" schools rather than focusing on a merit based system, that's no good for anyone because then it's as if black and Latino students are getting in because of their background and some quota rather than their skill set and ability to perform.
Well trust me, SJW types usually do not miss a beat when it comes to lumping in both black and Latino together on these issues, even when it is not appropriate to do so.

I agree that's it the extreme emphasis on education that East Asian cultures have. And I don't think black or Latino kids need to be just like Asians, white kids don't go to the extremes that Asian kids do either. As long as you pay attention, take notes, do your homework, seek help when needed, etc., you can do well in school.

I am aware the media doesn't break down Latino groups, and they don't break down black groups either. One thing I notice is that liberals never seem to report anything positive about higher performing groups amongst blacks or Latinos, it goes against the narrative that they need communism to save them. Conservatives don't either of course, but they're not known for caring about either group so that's expected.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Public schools are already suffering as it is. Removing honors and AP classes is just dulling down the standards yet again, which is why many parents send their kids to private school in the first place. Public schools used to have a reputation of being good and providing a good education for all children. That won't be the case if we continue to dilute the standards in the name of diversity.
There was HUGE amount of AP/Honors participation among non-Asian minority kids where I went to high school, so I know it's doable.

I'm not really in favor of the specialized high schools, but I think honors and AP should be available within the regular high schools for those who want it. AP courses also save kids money on college since they count for college credits.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
the People of NY own the school! we pay taxes=We own school=our voice.

So only the Asianc are made? They are not the only ones that dominate the Majority of Students.
The test is race blind. That's about as fair as it gets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City