Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2018, 02:48 PM

912 posts, read 1,132,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I don't agree that it is "many" jobs that Americans won't do. It is farm working jobs, yes. But it is NOT food service jobs, landscaping and plant nursery jobs, cannery jobs, food processing jobs, textile industry jobs, house painting jobs, roofing jobs, dry cleaning jobs, janitor jobs, and many more. These industries hire illegals regularly, and it was very evident during the brief period that e-verify was in effect. Many of them are hired directly, or they are hired by contractors who then use them for their jobs. Any one who thinks illegals all work picking fruit and keeping food prices down is extremely misinformed.

And they cost tax payers millions since they don't get healthcare on the job and taxes aren't deducted from their pay.
You are making a faulty comparison. Many jobs that undocumented workers are jobs that wouldn’t exist, at least not in the same quantities, were companies forced to pay higher wagers to American workers. A construction company that hires 10 undocumented workers could probably only afford to hire 5 American workers. Not only is that a reduction in the number of jobs available, that’s also a reduction in the number of projects that company can take on, reducing economic activity overall.

No they don’t. Studies have already disproved this notion. Undocumented immigrants are a SLIGHT positive to the economy. They contribute more to the economy in terms of sales taxes and other consumption taxes than services they use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 02:50 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
You are making a faulty comparison. Many jobs that undocumented workers are jobs that wouldn’t exist, at least not in the same quantities, were companies forced to pay higher wagers to American workers. A construction company that hires 10 undocumented workers could probably only afford to hire 5 American workers. Not only is that a reduction in the number available, that’s also a reduction in the number of jobs that company that take on, reducing economic activity overall.

No they don’t. Studies have already disproved this notion. Undocumented immigrants are a SLIGHT positive to the economy. They contribute more to the economy in terms of sales taxes and other consumption taxes than services they use.
Yes, biased studies likely done by people who support the same policies that undercut American wages. These economists sicken me. They get rich off of the backs of Americans by talking about how "globalism" is good for America. It isn't. Globalism is new slavery and we Americans are paying for it through depressed wages.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yes, biased studies likely done by people who support the same policies that undercut American wages. These economists sicken me. They get rich off of the backs of Americans by talking about how "globalism" is good for America. It isn't. Globalism is new slavery and we Americans are paying for it through depressed wages.
This protectionist attitude reeks of desperation from someone who seems woefully unprepared for the 21st century. Germany has a high manufacturing bases, and is one of the leaders of globalization. You don’t see them crying about it, instead they strive to be best so that everyone buys from them rather than the other way. Competition fosters innovation. That’s the spirit of a free market. That was the point of the Marshall plan after WW II, that was the point of spreading capitalism through the world. Rather crying about spilt milk, Americans should focus on what they can contribute to the world economy. Liberals are already doing, just look at Silicon Valley.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:09 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
In other news the Go fund me set up for this guy and family has past the $20,000 they were asking for.

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-...ntent=97700210

I guess playing the victim in this country really does get you ahead.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
This protectionist attitude reeks of desperation from someone who seems woefully unprepared for the 21st century. Germany has a high manufacturing bases, and is one of the leaders of globalization. You don’t see them crying about it, instead they strive to be best so that everyone buys from them rather than the other way. Competition fosters innovation. That’s the spirit of a free market. That was the point of the Marshall plan after WW II, that was the point of spreading capitalism through the world. Rather crying about spilt milk, Americans should focus on what they can contribute to the world economy. Liberals are already doing, just look at Silicon Valley.
Oh please. You're using Germany as an example? Don't make me laugh. Germany is biggest hypocrite around. They benefit from various factors, one of them being that the Scandinavian countries don't do much manufacturing because that's beneath them due to the extremely high quality of living in those countries. Danes, Swedes and Norweigans don't believe in spending time toiling over machines making clothes and such and the few things that are made in those countries are very expensive. I know because I've bought clothing made in Norway and Denmark. Very expensive. The Europeans in and of themselves are protectionists. They don't buy any old thing, and the EU props up several industries there, so let's not act like Germany is so great with manufacturing just because. That's a load of BS.

I've lived in Europe. I know the deal. They too believe in protecting their industries. Just ask the French. They're some of the biggest protectionists around and they should be. The Chinese protect their industries too, but we aren't supposed to.

https://worldview.stratfor.com/artic...tionist-charge

From the article:

"Germany will back some of France's proposals as well. Berlin shares Paris' fear of outside investors making inroads into some of the Continent's most important companies. Last year, a Chinese firm's purchase of German robotics manufacturer KUKA ignited a debate in Germany about the future of the country's tech sector. Berlin is also eager to level the playing field for European businesses; the German government has complained that the Continent's firms have a harder time investing in and exporting to China than their Chinese counterparts do in Europe. Moreover, Germany has supported France's push to close EU tax loopholes. But Berlin's positions on some of these issues could change after German general elections on Sept. 24, especially if the pro-business Free Democratic Party joins the country's next ruling coalition."

Old 06-07-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Oh please. You're using Germany as an example? Don't make me laugh. Germany is biggest hypocrite around. They benefit from various factors, one of them being that the Scandinavian countries don't do much manufacturing because that's beneath them due to the extremely high quality of living in those countries. Danes, Swedes and Norweigans don't believe in spending time toiling over machines making clothes and such and the few things that are made in those countries are very expensive. I know because I've bought clothing made in Norway and Denmark. Very expensive. The Europeans in and of themselves are protectionists. They don't buy any old thing, and the EU props up several industries there, so let's not act like Germany is so great with manufacturing just because. That's a load of BS.

I've lived in Europe. I know the deal. They too believe in protecting their industries. Just ask the French. They're some of the biggest protectionists around and they should be. The Chinese protect their industries too, but we aren't supposed to.

https://worldview.stratfor.com/artic...tionist-charge
What Scandinavian countries do or do not do has nothing to do with German manufacturing or the German mindset. And Scandinavia does not view manufacturing as beneath them. If it weren’t for the iPhone, the biggest phone manufacturer would be in Scandinavia, Nokia. Again, the more you speak, the more you sure how ill informed you are. Germany is the biggest champion in Europe for free trade globalism particularly because they emphasize quality. Just compare them to Italy, the other axis power in Europe. Italy was the original china, ripping everyone else’s designs and out competing other countries with lower prices. That worked out well for Italy until China rose in the 80’s and 90’s, while Germany still prevails despite China.

France was alway protectionist. No one claimed otherwise, you are the one who bought up for France for no reason at all other than trying to make some ill informed point. That’s is the reason why France, though economically large, has no real soft power outside of its influence in the EU.

China is protectionist, and the rest of the world is trying to change that. We don’t need to punish our allies with ridiculous protectionist policies to get China to change. In fact, Trumps recent policies do little to hurt China and mostly affect our closest allies. One of the few things that Trump did that was positive was his ban on ZTE, that is how you address China without resorting to tariffs and other protectionist nonsense, yet Trump caved rather quickly on that because of his close relationship with Xi.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
What Scandinavian countries do or do not do has nothing to do with German manufacturing or the German mindset. And Scandinavia does not view manufacturing as beneath them. If it weren’t for the iPhone, the biggest phone manufacturer would be in Scandinavia, Nokia. Again, the more you speak, the more you sure how ill informed you are. Germany is the biggest champion in Europe for free trade globalism particularly because they emphasize quality. Just compare them to Italy, the other axis power in Europe. Italy was the original china, ripping everyone else’s designs and out competing other countries with lower prices. That worked out well for Italy until China rose in the 80’s and 90’s, while Germany still prevails despite China.

France was alway protectionist. No one claimed otherwise, you are the one who bought up for France for no reason at all other than trying to make some ill informed point. That’s is the reason why France, though economically large, has no real soft power outside of its influence in the EU.

China is protectionist, and the rest of the world is trying to change that. We don’t need to punish our allies with ridiculous protectionist policies to get China to change. In fact, Trumps recent policies do little to hurt China and mostly affect our closest allies. One of the few things that Trump did that was positive was his ban on ZTE, that is how you address China without resorting to tariffs and other protectionist nonsense, yet Trump caved rather quickly on that because of his close relationship with Xi.
Sure it does. You're smoking if you don't think Germany exports heavily to Scandinavia. The fact that they don't manufacture as much benefits Germany. Nokia is a Finnish company and one can argue that Finland is not viewed as a Scandinavian country, hence why I didn't include them, but I'm sure you knew that too. Norway, Sweden and Denmark do not manufacture heavily. They focus on other industries. Norway for example is extremely wealthy because it is very rich in oil.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:57 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,399 times
What is the point of a democracy if no one is willing to follow the rules and laws. We each might not agree with every aspect of the rules that govern us, but that all the more reason to vote and participate in the democracy in order to improve it.

As my elementary teacher use to say "Two wrongs don't make a right". Just because one person gets away with breaking the law doesn't justify everyone else doing it. We should work together to improve our society not bring it down.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Sure it does. You're smoking if you don't think Germany exports heavily to Scandinavia. The fact that they don't manufacture as much benefits Germany. Nokia is a Finnish company and one can argue that Finland is not viewed as a Scandinavian country, hence why I didn't include them, but I'm sure you knew that too. Norway, Sweden and Denmark do not manufacture heavily. They focus on other industries. Norway for example is extremely wealthy because it is very rich in oil.
Again, even a simple google search would disabuse of your ill informed view points. Not one of Germany’s largest trading partners is Scandinavian. Not one Scandinavian country is even in the Top 5. To say that Germany is successful at manufacturing because they export to Scandinavia is ridiculous. I am not even sure how you reach such a conclusion.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Again, even a simple google search would disabuse of your ill informed view points. Not one of Germany’s largest trading partners is Scandinavian. Not one Scandinavian country is even in the Top 5. To say that Germany is successful at manufacturing because they export to Scandinavia is ridiculous. I am not even sure how you reach such a conclusion.
I didn't say that was the reason they're successful. I said it helps them. Don't confuse the two. Germany is the biggest manufacturer in the EU and the largest economy. If you think that it's just their hard work that allows them to maintain that position I have a bridge to sell you. They certainly use their political clout as the largest economy in the EU to flex their muscles. They and France get a lot the benefit of the doubt for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City