Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 04:26 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Jus solis cannot be ended without a constitutional amendment. It was created to end slavery, so that you wouldn't have groups of people born in the US who remain a part of a permanent underclass.

Constitutional ammendments are not impossible to propose. The thing is, many politicians have such limited knowledge of every day laws and amendments, to change what we have would make their brains explode.

Most laws today are crafted by lobbyists and pacs.

The most important detterant to illegal immigration is using existing laws to make it an unattractive option.

Most illegal immigrants coming through the border for example are men. Removing jus solis would in no way remove the motivation for them to come.

Having no jobs available to earn money to repay the smuggler would definitely give them a pause. Having no jobs to pay rent, send money to their family would make coming here illegally unatractive.

Therw are already laws on the books to penalize people who hire illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 04:41 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Your post is completely not true. You have Americans of all races who work at summer camps, hotels, restaurants, etc and most of those workers are Americans. I've done all those jobs myself while in college.

In NYC itself you find lots of Americans working in restaurants, bars, and hotels.

Your one limited experience does not negate the fact that every close to 100k student and exchange visitors program participants pour into the U.S. in the summer to work at theme parks, hotels, restaurants etc. Do Americans work in these capacities? Yes. However, the facts remain that companies are bringing in large numbers to do jobs traditionally done by high school and college students.

This does not include the temporary workers (like your lawn car, pool guys) who are given visas to come and work seasonally every year.

This is readily available numbers easily verified on public sources.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:19 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
I got news for you pal; take away "illegals" in the food business (and that includes everything from restaurants to delis), from prep to serving, cleaning and onto delivery and that industry will simply shut down in NYC area. Period, end of story.
This is true. Already there have been some farmers in the midwest and California (who mostly voted for Trump) complaining there's a shortage of farm workers to help them out in the fields. Some businesses & individuals (nanny hiring) profit from hiring illegals.

Last edited by Aeran; 06-10-2018 at 06:51 PM..

Old 06-10-2018, 06:46 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Make it prohibitively expensive on the employers when caught hiring illegals.
Making a big deal about one illegal immigrant here or there is like killing an ant colony by stepping on one ant at a time.
Yes! If you significantly want to cut down on illegal immigration, making it harder for them to come in or sending them back is akin to putting one's thumb on a major water main break. You have to at the same time deal with the demand. There is a substantial demand for illegal workers. Whole industries and individuals benefit from hiring illegal workers. And they (the illegals) know it. And that's why they take the risk to come here illegally.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:16 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Your one limited experience does not negate the fact that every close to 100k student and exchange visitors program participants pour into the U.S. in the summer to work at theme parks, hotels, restaurants etc. Do Americans work in these capacities? Yes. However, the facts remain that companies are bringing in large numbers to do jobs traditionally done by high school and college students.

This does not include the temporary workers (like your lawn car, pool guys) who are given visas to come and work seasonally every year.

This is readily available numbers easily verified on public sources.
My so called limited experiences is actually pretty normal, as most college students have worked in hospitality, summer camps, etc. It amazes me how people on this forum engage in mental masturbation and promote themselves as knowing what they don't. Your typical college student has done the jobs you claim Americans don't do, because as college students you don't really qualify for high end jobs. After all you're just a student, and you're just working for extra cash.

And it's not just my personal experience, universities have job search departments that hook students up with hospitality and summer camps jobs. Something that anyone with an education and actual personal experience would know.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:07 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Well why do you care? The more money that Mexican people have, the less of them will come here

Most of the recent illegal immigration has been from Central America rather than Mexico anyway
I care because this is my f’n country and these criminal invaders are reaping all of the benefits without giving back their fare share. Your tune would change if someone came into your house ate your food, took one of your bedrooms, told you to go f yourself when the first of the month came around and said Im sending the rent I owe you to my sister in Mexico.
And oh yea pay for my hospital bills, and my kids education.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:11 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Trust me when I say, yes you can apply for and be granted a work authrization. Uscis seems to not care about what the immigration judge ruled.

They go valid pending petition, check.
Qualifies for work autjorization, check.
Application for work authorization, check.
Work authorization issued.

His final order of deportation does not permanently bar him from reuturning or being the recipient of a valid petition for resident status or work authorization.

Final orders can be reopened and relief granted (u can stay) by a judge.

Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act (IIRAIRA) of 1996. Incorporated into section 212(a)(9)(B) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), the statute imposes re-entry bars on immigrants who accrue “unlawful presence” in the United States,

Lay man's term. If you are here illegally you need to leave and wait a certain period before being elligible to return legally.

If you are here for over 1 year you are barred for 10 years. This is your grounds of inadmissibility. (Why you can't return or be here).

You can apply for, and many are routinely granted a, waiver for this ground of inadmissibility/bar when they have USC wife ans kids.

They then go to a consular interview and return with an immigrant visa to live happily ever after.

People put so much energy in these nonese case instead of actually looking at our immigration laws and procedures. This man's case was a none issue.
No offense, but I'd rather have statutory (or something from an immigration law website) verification.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Please see my link of actual statistics. Is it just the Mexicans that you are upset about? I hope that you are outraged about the broken immigration system and illegal immigrants from ALL COUNTRIES. Your fox news mind numbness and bias is showing. Think like an actual above average bear.
I’m upset about anyone who breaks the law and doesn’t suffer the consequences. If you were a lover of NYC and your country you would be upset too.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:23 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I care because this is my f’n country and these criminal invaders are reaping all of the benefits without giving back their fare share. Your tune would change if someone came into your house ate your food, took one of your bedrooms, told you to go f yourself when the first of the month came around and said Im sending the rent I owe you to my sister in Mexico.
Cry me a river

Old 06-10-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Cry me a river
“Cry me a river” A quote typically made when one runs out of intelligent responses....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City