Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 09:16 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You know where the apparent hatred from the poor comes from on forums like this don't you? It's self hate. These people are too close to being poor themselves, and they fear being with the rest of "poor" people.
Said by the trust fund baby who doesn't work for a living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 09:20 AM

766 posts, read 507,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You know where the apparent hatred from the poor comes from on forums like this don't you? It's self hate. These people are too close to being poor themselves, and they fear being with the rest of "poor" people.
I’m sick of paying a gazillion taxes that go nowhere. The poor can do whatever they want, the city needs to make sure the public transportation for ALL, the roads for ALL, the parks for ALL, the schools for ALL are getting better.

Mta is running on E, the roads are a pothole/sinkhole mess, we lack greenery in almost every neighborhood, trash is everywhere due to the lack garbage cans, and our public school system spend more money than any other city on students yet more than half of them are failing.

Taxpayers want to see something to show for what they give to the city/state. 109 million on metro cards yet only 9 million for parks, more money to NYPD like they don’t get enough already. Does that make sense?

Old 06-13-2018, 09:21 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Said by the trust fund baby who doesn't work for a living.
The joke of the day...

Old 06-13-2018, 09:23 AM

766 posts, read 507,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TizOnly1 View Post
Exactly.. people hating on the poor, and whatever little pittance is thrown their way.. but we're cool with corporate subsidies, crazy tax plan, etc.

You missed the whole thing buddy.

The guy made a comment comparing how he could afford his MetroCard as a teenager, versus ADULTS today being unable to afford a MetroCard, and my response was that, as a teenager he didn't have real bills, as opposed to the ADULTS who do.

Nobody is talking about teenagers supporting their homes. We're talking about ADULTS being unable to afford MetroCards because their money goes towards supporting their homes.
Like I said what working class adult is only making 12k a year? Minimum wage will be $15 an hr, that’s still almost 30k working full time. Who is this program really helping, who is the target audience? Now lower income workers.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:41 AM

174 posts, read 187,739 times
Quote:
Two wrongs don't make a right. 2018 when the only thing a democrat and republican can agree upon is the middle class should pay for everything without any of the benefits.
I don't view helping the poor as a "wrong" though..

Also, again.. we give WAAAAY more to the rich than to the poor, so it's not even comparable anyway.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:05 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
Quote:
I don't view helping the poor as a "wrong" though..

Also, again.. we give WAAAAY more to the rich than to the poor, so it's not even comparable anyway.
Way to straw man an argument. No one is arguing helping the poor is wrong, people are arguing the way it is being done is wrong.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:21 AM

174 posts, read 187,739 times
Quote:
Way to straw man an argument. No one is arguing helping the poor is wrong, people are arguing the way it is being done is wrong.
I would disagree with that. People in here are ABSOLUTELY attacking the poor, just as much, if not much more so, than the policy itself.

People in this forum generally behave in classist ways all the time. Policy is only secondary. I'm not the one creating the straw man at all.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:27 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
I would disagree with that. People in here are ABSOLUTELY attacking the poor, just as much, if not much more so, than the policy itself.

People in this forum generally behave in classist ways all the time. Policy is only secondary. I'm not the one creating the straw man at all.
That's because we WORK and don't believe in handouts... Imagine that.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:31 AM

3,130 posts, read 2,724,468 times
I work. I bet I work more than you do. And I'm happy to have my taxes going to making the world a better place for the people around me who are having a hard time.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:34 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
I work. I bet I work more than you do. And I'm happy to have my taxes going to making the world a better place for the people around me who are having a hard time.
Some of those people are just lazy.

The middle class is just getting it both ways. From the rich and poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City