Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 06:00 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times

Advertisements

topic title.

It’s what those in the biz call a “twofer”!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 09:30 AM

1,183 posts, read 707,098 times
I dunno - people don't like getting their hair cut by trainees let alone something as potentially dangerous as ferry operations. It would have to be pretty limited.

Swabbing the deck and such.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:46 AM

4,766 posts, read 6,553,167 times
Where would the Throgs Neck ferry dock?

The cadets already have that summer cruise to Europe and other points, but I don't know if the whole student body goes or just a portion of them.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:34 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
I dunno - people don't like getting their hair cut by trainees let alone something as potentially dangerous as ferry operations. It would have to be pretty limited.

Swabbing the deck and such.
Yea, I'm not saying let the cabin boy run the ship. I think it'd be supervised work with students aiding in certain tasks. I think that'd include helping with maintenance and upkeep of the ferry fleet. Since the school needs to run anyways and a large part of the curriculum is trying to train for actual real world jobs, then it might be something where what effort and funding was going to be expended anyways. I think it's important that CUNY and SUNY schools direct some of the training and research they engage in to have a fairly large portion of it directed towards improving things within the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Where would the Throgs Neck ferry dock?

The cadets already have that summer cruise to Europe and other points, but I don't know if the whole student body goes or just a portion of them.
I guess they'd build a new one as they have with most of the ferry stops, maybe the last stop on the Bx40 line right before the gates of SUNY Maritime for passenger operations and the on-campus dock for servicing?

Throgs Neck probably has quite a few commuters to Manhattan and doesn't have very easy access to the city and this could be helpful. I think the Soundview ferry stops at Clason Point rather than meandering very much up the Bronx River, so it could be an operationally reasonable one stop extension of that ferry to Throgs Neck.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-08-2018 at 01:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City