Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 07:16 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
rego park is named bens best . the others are ben's kosher deli

And Ben's Best is far far better than Ben's.

I mourn the loss of Ben's Best Pastrami sandwich, like I did the closing of the Stage Deli. I was never much fond of the Carnegie Deli, though.

But the two times I ate at Ben's Best, the place had zero business. I can see a ride on the R train this month to get my last really good hot pastrami on rye.

The "bike lanes" theory is just so much hooey. Truth is BB drove himself out of business by pricing himself out of the Queens Boulevard neighborhood. But good belly cut brisket pastrami or corned beef is an expensive meat, no getting around that, especially with the extreme protectionism heaped on the U.S. beef industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 07:51 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Beef prices have actually fallen over the years. Much of the pricing is because of very high fees they have to pay to get their kosher certification

Old 06-10-2018, 08:27 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Without a definition of "over the years" your statement has no meaning. Beef prices have soared since the "Mad Cow Disease" fake hysteria that led to the banning of most foreign beef, giving U.S. producers monopolistic control over prices.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:48 AM

Actually i just looked at the chart for beef and you are correct , it has been on a big up swing again after falling.

But you can get deli style sandwiches way cheaper at the diner. Here in queens on main st prices on everything are insanely high because so much goes to these kosher sanctioning sects. There was a war going on with two sanctioning camps fighting over the stores .

If a merchant joined one and not the other he was boycotted by the other group

Old 06-10-2018, 08:56 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Without a definition of "over the years" your statement has no meaning. Beef prices have soared since the "Mad Cow Disease" fake hysteria that led to the banning of most foreign beef, giving U.S. producers monopolistic control over prices.
There is plenty of imported beef around. The problem is the supply of kosher beef, especially briskets and plates (or navels) for corned beef and pastrami. The big supplier is "AgriStar Processors" in Postville, Iowa. This is the same infamous operation that got shut down a few years ago and is now owned by a Montreal billionaire named Hershey Friedman. Because of supply and demand, AgriStar can charge big bucks for those 2 cuts.

A lot of previously kosher delis have switched to non-kosher suppliers, Katz's being the prime example. They can choose what quality grade to buy and not rely on kosher suppliers who tend to throw a lot of ungraded (no roll) beef in the mix.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:48 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
It's been like that for some time now though. The owner blames the new bike lanes, which are a much more recent arrival than the Asian Jew. It takes away a lot of parking. I've actually decided to not go there too long ago because I didn't want to deal with the parking situation around there. Plus the food quality has taken a bit of a hit as of late, so not worth the trouble as much as it once would be.
But the parking spaces lost due to the new bike lanes are also relatively recent as well. So although the owner blames that for the downturn of business, I doubt it is the only reason. I think the older generation that likes this style of food is also dying out so I would assume that it is a contributing factor as well.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:55 PM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
If you go to Katz's, which is not actually kosher, the prices are probably similar (I've never been to Ben's Best, so I can't say for sure.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Actually i just looked at the chart for beef and you are correct , it has been on a big up swing again after falling.

But you can get deli style sandwiches way cheaper at the diner. Here in queens on main st prices on everything are insanely high because so much goes to these kosher sanctioning sects. There was a war going on with two sanctioning camps fighting over the stores .

If a merchant joined one and not the other he was boycotted by the other group

Old 06-10-2018, 05:00 PM

they are all priced very very high for the average person who does not care if it is kosher or which sect does it .

Old 06-10-2018, 07:52 PM

430 posts, read 506,039 times
his decline in sales is due to kosher certification from an unreliable/suspect Rabbinical authority. major hit to the catering business.

just a cop out to blame bike lanes.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:52 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
his decline in sales is due to kosher certification from an unreliable/suspect Rabbinical authority.

A good example of kosher fraud was the Doheny Kosher Market in Los Angeles. In the beginning of the video below, note the box on the right labeled "AgriStar Processors," which is kosher. The owners of Doheny would place non-kosher meats in the box labeled "AgriStar," jack up the prices and sell that meat as kosher. This caused a big scandal in the orthodox Jewish community in Los Angeles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkF1wdTlfRc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City