Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 04:35 PM

69 posts, read 78,861 times

Advertisements

So I’m planning to take my girlfriend to Central Park zoo cause we are both animal lovers. I figured since we planning to go to Central Park we could stop at the zoo while we there. Can anyone tell me how the zoo is? Is it good? The only zoo she has been to before was Prospect Park zoo which is small. I’m assuming Central Park zoo is bigger than that.

The only reason why I’m picking that zoo cause it’s a shorter ride on the train then the Bronx zoo. She’s not a big fan of trains, she doesn’t like them at all so I pick the shorter ride. I know the Bronx zoo is like a hour and a half ride. We will be traveling there from downtown Brooklyn. Can anyone tell me how the zoo is and if it is worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 05:42 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerezz7 View Post
So I’m planning to take my girlfriend to Central Park zoo cause we are both animal lovers. I figured since we planning to go to Central Park we could stop at the zoo while we there. Can anyone tell me how the zoo is? Is it good? The only zoo she has been to before was Prospect Park zoo which is small. I’m assuming Central Park zoo is bigger than that.

The only reason why I’m picking that zoo cause it’s a shorter ride on the train then the Bronx zoo. She’s not a big fan of trains, she doesn’t like them at all so I pick the shorter ride. I know the Bronx zoo is like a hour and a half ride. We will be traveling there from downtown Brooklyn. Can anyone tell me how the zoo is and if it is worth it?
It's a nice little zoo..but very small. I think it's the smallest of all the NYC zoos.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:45 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
It's the smallest zoo in the Conservation system. They do have different animals.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:12 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
Go to the Central Park Zoo website and get an overview of what you will see there. You can combine it with a walk through Central Park for a real New York experience. Wander over to the Delacorte theater and check out the line for Shakespeare in the Park. Othello is there now and it’s quite a good production. And free!

Old 06-12-2018, 11:45 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It's a nice little zoo..but very small. I think it's the smallest of all the NYC zoos.
I think you're right. Even the Prospect Park Zoo is bigger (about twice as big, which was a shocker to me!). I haven't been to the Central Park Zoo in a while, though.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:51 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Central Park is a nice zoo with a tiny children's zoo. The Prospect Park and Queens Zoo are both bigger, but both are very small in comparison to The Bronx Zoo.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:05 AM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times
It's a cute, small zoo with some interesting old architectural design bits throughout. I'd recommend it.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:03 AM

178 posts, read 147,723 times
If you’re going to Central Park anyway, then sure, stop by the zoo. It’s not a large zoo, but it has that terrific seal pond, which is worth a visit all by itself (IMHO). You can enjoy your day at the park and spend some time at the zoo.

But if what you’re after is a real zoo experience, then you really should consider the Bronx Zoo. It is one of the great zoos of the world, and I would bet that your girlfriend will love it so much that she will forgive the longer train rides (there and back). The Bronx Zoo is trying to get away from showing animals locked in a cage to instead showing them in something like their native habitat. They have really interesting animal displays and you can even see them as they feed some of the animals.

Either way I think you’ll have a fun day and neither of you will even remember the train rides.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:35 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Personally I think the Central Park Zoo is not worth the time for adults to visit unless they are taking small children there.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:47 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,045 times
Central Park zoo is good for a stroll and to see the seals but not much of a zoo, although watching the Clock strike the hour is pretty cool. Isn't there an express bus you could take to the Bronx Zoo, if not from Brooklyn, surely from somewhere in Manhattan. I used to take it when I lived on Holland Avenue in the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: