Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 07:54 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,324 times

Advertisements

I do not want these things in my house or near where food is prepared. They can stay in the sewers or on the subway tracks but please do not allow me to wake up next to you!

https://nypost.com/2018/06/12/new-yo...pasteboard_app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 08:14 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,324 times
It’s just absurd that we can’t get a handle on them.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:22 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Note the analysis reflected *complaints* of rat sightings; thus not an actual head count or whatever.

Next, uptown (Harlem, etc....) has always had a high number of rat complaints historically.

Bushwick, Bedford Stuyvesant, Crown Heights along with other Brooklyn areas mentioned in article all are experiencing record levels of construction. Well when you demolish old buildings and or excavate earth, you disturb rats (who by nature are borrowing creatures), thus are bound to cause disruption of nests. That will bring rats out into the open.

Indeed all over NYC there is a building boom going on, and all that construction disturbs rats. You start tearing down nearly or over one hundred year old buildings, and or digging up ground that hasn't been disturbed in nearly that long, you're going to see an increase in rats.

On UES around 79th to 81st streets along Second Avenue and between there and first they have been seeing more rats. This coincides with Icon Realty beginning construction on two new buildings (80th and 81st on Second).

That entire block on First from 79th to 80th was baited beginning last week which means those buildings will soon be coming down.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:43 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,475,037 times
going to have to get a cat

don't know why people can't keep stuff clean.

We are the richest, most powerful nation on earth, yet we can't solve the trash problem.

What does Singapore do?

Old 06-12-2018, 10:01 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,150,696 times
All those ribs and chicken scraps , left to be picked up, is a gourmet dinner to these rodents. Warm Garbage really builds up their appetite.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:26 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,764,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post

We are the richest, most powerful nation on earth, yet we can't solve the trash problem.

What does Singapore do?
Don't know about Singapore but apparently in Jamaica, they just get cats to solve the rodent problem.
And the only reason why I know this is because during a call in show (NY1 The Call) the topic was suggestions on how to deal with the recent increase of rat infestation in NYC. And someone from Jamaica called in to say, get cats. The caller's motto was, "want to kill the rat, get the cat" & he kept saying that in this thick Jamaican accent. It gave me the chuckles.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:38 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Don't know about Singapore but apparently in Jamaica, they just get cats to solve the rodent problem.
And the only reason why I know this is because during a call in show (NY1 The Call) the topic was suggestions on how to deal with the recent increase of rat infestation in NYC. And someone from Jamaica called in to say, get cats. The caller's motto was, "want to kill the rat, get the cat" & he kept saying that in this thick Jamaican accent. It gave me the chuckles.
Hhhmmppphhh, I live one the same block as a cat lady. She has 4 cats and feeds about 10 strays. I have never seen a rat. 2 other retired ladies on the block also has cats. Maybe he was right.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:30 AM

769 posts, read 1,014,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post

What does Singapore do?
Singapore throws you in jail for littering or even spitting on the sidewalk.

I remember on the tourist immigration form at the airport it says in bold letters on the bottom of the form "Persons caught with drugs will receive the death penalty".

Singapore does not play.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:06 AM

329 posts, read 204,121 times
I really think it's a generational thing. Just make sure to take out the garbage regularly and don't leave open containers and food all over your room. I speak to housecleaners, telling me how young transplants are the filthiest people she's ever encountered. They get called in once a week to basically perform garbage exorcism. Literally junk food leftovers all over the floor, doritos, food crumbs all over the place, dirty dishes piled in the sink, garbage in the can not taken out. They leave it like that when they go to work. Young kids these days are messy and breed the rats.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:19 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry88 View Post
I really think it's a generational thing. Just make sure to take out the garbage regularly and don't leave open containers and food all over your room. I speak to housecleaners, telling me how young transplants are the filthiest people she's ever encountered. They get called in once a week to basically perform garbage exorcism. Literally junk food leftovers all over the floor, doritos, food crumbs all over the place, dirty dishes piled in the sink, garbage in the can not taken out. They leave it like that when they go to work. Young kids these days are messy and breed the rats.
Agreed. We have one young guy who INSISTS on leaving his damn garbage bags out in the hallway. I've been complaining non-stop about it to my super and now what he does is, when he cleans the hallway, he just removes it to send him a message that leaving it there isn't ok. He goes up and down past the garbage area and leaves it there sometimes for days. So far we haven't had any rats thank God because I am really particular about keeping things clean, but with this guy around you never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City