Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2018, 07:16 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I too have witnessed many a racist comments from Puerto Ricans towards Black people. And these were mostly from Puerto Ricans that live that Black culture as defined by I1995.
Unfortunately, black people seem to think that Latinos are cool overall with them because they tend to suffer through the same poverty and other social issues in the same neighborhoods, but that isn't always the case. Don't get me wrong, plenty of Latinos are fine with black people, but the groups of Hispanics that you would expect to be more aligned with black people usually aren't (Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, etc.). I blame part of it on the media. The media portrays black people as the worse of the worse in just about everything which therefore makes some people feel as if they have a right to make comments that perhaps they otherwise wouldn't make. In the social "hierarchy", Latinos consider themselves often superior to black people. Just the reality of things, even if the two groups share poverty and other problems almost equally.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:19 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It's like dude, look in the mirror. You're BLACK!! You may be a black Hispanic, but you're still black.
lol! They do bash each other but so do people from the Caribbean. And there is racism within based on skin color (amongst Puerto Ricans, don't know about the Caribbean). And they do trash each other but that's human nature.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:22 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You're either being dishonest or you're having problems identifying people if you're claiming the average Puerto Rican is white or can pass for white.

And no, most Puerto Ricans do not identify as white.

You feel a lot of things, but what do Black Puerto Ricans say? Don't speak for a group of people you have limited knowledge of.
I'm not saying the "average" Puerto Rican is white. I don't know the statistics in PR. I do remember that in San Juan, many, if not most Puerto Ricans were white. Again, some were blonde. Many were mixed. Some were black, but my friend who I was traveling with (who is black) sadly heard several racist statements against black people in Puerto Rico.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I'm not saying the "average" Puerto Rican is white. I don't know the statistics in PR. I do remember that in San Juan, many, if not most Puerto Ricans were white. Again, some were blonde. Many were mixed. Some were black, but my friend who I was traveling with (who is black) sadly heard several racist statements against black people in Puerto Rico.
You also need to realize that black people in various Latin American countries tend to be concentrated in certain areas. For example, in Colombia, the black Colombians are heavily located in coastal cities. That's why it's not such a good idea to make such assumptions.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:27 PM

I'm not making assumptions. I'm just observing that many Puerto Ricans, both here and in PR, are white.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I'm not making assumptions. I'm just observing that many Puerto Ricans, both here and in PR, are white.
You haven't traveled throughout PR to make such an assumption, that's my point, and furthermore, you have no idea how many Puerto Ricans are black. It's not like many of them are going to shout and say HEY I'M BLACK AND PUERTO RICAN!!

Old 06-24-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
You haven't traveled throughout PR to make such an assumption, that's my point, and furthermore, you have no idea how many Puerto Ricans are black. It's not like many of them are going to shout and say HEY I'M BLACK AND PUERTO RICAN!!
Ok let's put it this,way: many of the people in San Juan PR are white.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:33 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
Quote:
Only recently have their views changed because they feel as if their population is shrinking, so now suddenly Italians are ok.
I think the same goes for Slavic people. They weren't accepted but now all of a sudden they are.
Some even party with Tequila oh, whatever her name is and she's Asian!
This is just so silly.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:36 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
I get to speak about it because the same nonsense that happens in the black community happens in other communities. People are always trying to "better themselves", either by lightening their skin, or "marrying up" or what have you. My girlfriend is a woman of color so I see first hand what goes on. I'm also not this lilly white guy. I'm Sicilian of mixed background, so let's get that straight.

It's not that complicated. The "dirty laundry" that you're speaking of has been out in the open for years. Spike Lee touches on self-hatred within the black community in several of his movies and the scene with the "brown paper bag" test. Every group has this fascination with skin color and striving to be light because to be light skinned is "right" and acceptable in our society. Asians, whites, Hispanics, blacks. Everybody does it. What you're describing sure as hell isn't "unique" at all.
So then why do you seemingly have some sort of weird ax to grind concerning Latinos, by going out of our way to point this out among them, but never seeming to acknowledge it happens all the same in multiple groups, including AAs?

And for that matter, among Black Africans.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:40 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I think the same goes for Slavic people. They weren't accepted but now all of a sudden they are.
Some even party with Tequila oh, whatever her name is and she's Asian!
This is just so silly.
Tila Taquila is a white supremacist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City