Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 04:29 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
It's not really nice to make fun of someone's pride in their ethnicity/background.
Even if Nywriterdude is making fun of himself? He also has permission to drop the n word in casual conversation.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:19 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
The children of Africans who immigrate to the UK, do not call themselves anything other than "British," despite growing up in a home with two African parents. .

In fact British blacks generally identify with their immigrant origins. Only a few see themselves as undifferentiated from white Englishmen. What doesn't exist is an Afro British identity and this because of the not very distant immigrant origins from diverse places.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
They never use the term "European" American, to describe White Americans,

No they use Italian, Irish, Polish, etc. Despite the fact that many have minimal ancestral origins to these places given that most white Americans have diverse Euro origins, except for those who only recently arrived.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lol, I'm not lying, and she has a master's. I'm not sure you know much about history. Slavery was not profitable in Guyana. .

Slavery did exist in Guyana. I suggest that you learn who Cuffy, Accabre and Damon were. Slave rebellions did exist in Guyana. In fact slavery in colonial Guyana was even more brutish than it was in other British West Indian colonies. Guyanese slaves didn't have the ability to engage in their own money making pursuits in their limited free time as did slaves in Jamaica as an example.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Plenty of slaves died in multiple countries in South America and the Caribbean. The Black population in Barbados and St. Lucia arrived via the African slave trade as well, and no matter what way you cut it, the Black population throughout the Caribbean in Latin American is descended from SLAVES.

Which is something you have difficulty in admitting.

My bachelor's degree from Cornell is in History, as I have repeatedly stated. I know a lot about history. Of course Historians have specialties in History and no one person knows everything.

Bronx"Guyanese" is a little Dominican looking kid who knows nothing about Guyana.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
It definitely is interesting as well, some black West Indians and black DR ethnicities get made if you call them black or AA like I am insulting them but linking them with African Americans which I find to be kinda annoying because they are basically saying there culture is better.

I am curious to know who these black West Indians who get mad if you call them black. The issue is that many prioritize their nationality over their race and many black Americans don't understand why they do this.

They are not AA and in fact many black Americans also reject that term.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don’t think that is true. For instance, the Bronx has a little over 476,000 Black people alone(a little over 508,000 inc. in combo and a little under 424,000 Black non Hispanic), 181,000 are West Indian and from “Sub Saharan” Africa.

For Brooklyn, there are a little over 871,000 Black people(a little 902,000 inc. in combo and a little over 806,000 Black non Hispanic). Of this, around 367,000 are West Indian and Sub Saharan African.

This is 2016 census info from American FactFinder.

Just to add...For Queens, there are 423,451 Black people(454,759 inc. in combo and 398,786 Black non Hispanic). There are 182,829 West Indians and Sub Saharan Africans combined.

For Manhattan, there are 244,787 Black residents(279,219 inc. in combo and 206,008 Black non Hispanic). There are 56,884 West Indians and Sub Saharan Africans combined.

Staten Island, there are 48,941 Black residents(54,246 inc. in combo and 44,570 Black non Hispanic). There are 14,643 West Indians and Sub Saharan Africans combined.

So, this give people some idea of the breakdown and perhaps the African American exodus may be overstated and the influx of even “educated” or skill/industry specific African Americans is understated, given the data.

The census numbers way under estimate the black immigrant descended population, even those who are foreign born. Show me a box on the census form that shows where I can check "black-Caribbean" and then we can debate about how many Caribbean or African people live in NYC.

There is no way that anyone can say for certainty as to the ethnic breakdown of the black population in NYC. For one black Americans and Caribbean blacks have been marrying each other for over 100 years. I very much doubt that someone with ancestors arrived from the Caribbean in the 1890s and who married Southern blacks will identify as "Caribbean" or see themselves as part of the Caribbean community which began to arrive in the late 60s.

Yes it is likely that "pure" AAs don't exist in NYC in large numbers as even in the 1920s up to 1/3 of the black NYC population had Caribbean origins. Is de Blasio's wife a Caribbean woman? She has ONE Caribbean grandparent and I bet didn't grow up exposed to Caribbean culture.

So to define who is and who isn't "Caribbean" in NYC is challenging.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You’re outright lying. I have never heard of African Americans asking any other group of Black people to go home. Now you’re down to outright trolling.

Civil rights leaders like Malcolm X, Marcus Garvey, etc has West Indian heritage. Very famous Black member of Congress Charlie Rangel is Puerto Rican. Lots of Black Latinos and West Indians were part of civil rights.

In fact many black "firsts" had Caribbean origins and Caribbean people played integral roles in the black struggles in the USA. Its the truly ignorant who deny this fact. I suggest that folks find out who Schomberg was. A proudly black man born in PR whose mother was from St Croix.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You wouldn't know it though. I get so sick of hearing about how many of them are white. Meanwhile plenty of Puerto Ricans that have light skin are mixed with black. In fact it's very common, so I agree with your comments. Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Cubans... All in the same boat for the most part.

Not sure where people get their info. While there are clearly issues of racial identity among Caribbean Latinos I don't know that those who live in NYC see themselves as "white" in the same way as they will see a white American. In fact very light skinned Dominicans get teased by other Dominicans who claim that they couldn't be Dominicans because they aren't mixed with obvious Afro ancestry.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post

Ritchie Torres is another black Puerto Rican. He is Puerto Rican but a blatino.

http://www.manhattantimesnews.com/wp...-Torresweb.jpg

Torres calls himself black. Espaillat considers himself to be a black Latino. Adolfo Carrion claimed to be a black Caribbean man given that he is black and PR is in the Caribbean.

Maybe its the more educated ones who have less of a problem with this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City