Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 04:33 PM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times

Advertisements

Just when you think you have seen everything? Caught this on Eyewitness news.
This woman is worse than what I scrape off the bottom of my shoes.
Landlords beware.

A woman rents out an illegal apartment knowingly for $1,200 a month.

She then rearranges the basement in an unsafe and illegal manner installing multiple bunk-beds to house up to 8 persons.

She (sublets) rents the basement to 8 persons at $200 each per week for $6,400 a month.

When the landlord finally gets wind of her scheme this woman tells him " go I ahead and I will call the city
on you for renting me an illegal basement apartment ".

The Landlord then ,at her mercy pleads with her and after negotiations,
finally gives in and pays her $5,000 or more ( ransom ) to leave scott free with no
penalties whatsoever to go onto her next (shall we say ) victim

My observation:
I understand renting out an illegal apartment is ,well, illegal and will run a landlord $10,000-$15,000 dollars
when all the smoke finally clears and the city writes it off.
A very hard lesson to learn.

My Question to you:
1) What can be done to also stop this woman from repeating the same scam over and over?

2) Have you ever heard of any rental scheme that can top this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 04:44 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
I had to look it up for myself to see the video. What a despicable woman! And why isn't she being prosecuted? Her attitude is mind numbing.

7 On Your Side Investigation: Illegal rental scheme putting tenants' lives at risk | abc7ny.com

At the very least, I hope the IRS comes after her and puts her ass in jail for tax evasion.

To answer your second question, yes, there was a guy who did something very similar in Elmhurst but he was using AirBnB to rent the "rooms." I'll see if I can find the article.

Last point -- I guess now we know what $200/week gets you in NYC.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:45 PM

Here's the Elmhurst story. But yeah, actually, the one you posted really takes the cake.

Landlord finally evicts tenants who turned three-bedroom Queens apartment into 10 bedrooms | WPIX 11 New York

Old 06-14-2018, 05:49 PM

954 posts, read 939,392 times
That makes it like SUPER illegal.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:50 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
I wish the article had photos

Old 06-14-2018, 06:02 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,467,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
What a despicable woman! And why isn't she being prosecuted? Her attitude is mind numbing. .
This city and various politicians have, over the years, enacted laws that mostly protect criminals and scammers while the rest of the law abiding citizens have to follow the rules.

She knows this and sleeps just fine.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
the rental game can get nasty
people plead with you to rent to them, then they dont pay the rent, trash your place, and shake you down for move out money but only if you dont file eviction
then they sue you
renters are called oppressed people and the landlord privileged

Old 06-14-2018, 06:33 PM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times
When Both Landlord and tenant get along fine it is truly a blessing.

It is far and few between today to find such a comfortable coexistence.
Maximum profit at all costs supersedes common kindness. It should not.It can still work
employing other practical methods as I have demonstrated over the years.
A long long time ago, I as a Landlord ,engaged in a wonderful and cohesive relationship
with my tenants.Keeping the rents hundreds of dollars less than other homes kept my tenants
happy and my income trickling just enough to break even.
I did not break the rules on Landlord/Tenant relationships ( Not to get too too chummy. It is still is a business in the end. )
I just happened to be the deli down the block that was cheaper than the others nearby.

The outcome :
My tenants were in my multifamily for almost 20 years. My multifamily was paid off.
In the end my tenants saved enough money to buy their own homes.
I followed suit and once retired sold the home for a small profit.
I still get calls from my former tenants thanking me for my kindness.
That can really pull on someones heart strings.
Nuff said.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I wish the article had photos
Watch the video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: