Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 11:16 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Most of Milftown has a number of large apartment buildings fairly close by to those pretty houses.
Isn't LeFrak city in Rego Park technically? And yeah, the last time I was in Rego Park it didn't seem suburban at all where I was, it was mostly rowhomes/small apartment buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I would say that parts of Rego Park and Forest Hills are definitely suburban in nature. I think it depends on what part of Queens the OP is referring to.
Forest Hills is definitely an urban neighborhood overall Too many apartment buildings to not be, plus its very walkable.

Population density is 23k ppsm (higher than San Francisco, and Queens itself), and it would be higher if if were a less prosperous neighborhood

Old 06-16-2018, 01:45 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Forest Hills is definitely an urban neighborhood overall Too many apartment buildings to not be, plus its very walkable.

Population density is 23k ppsm (higher than San Francisco, and Queens itself), and it would be higher if if were a less prosperous neighborhood
Jersey City is a SUBURB, with mass transit and it is walkable. There's no set definition of SUBURBAN.

The outer boroughs were all suburbs of NYC/Manhattan before they were ANNEXED to the city. Technically being that people commute to Manhattan and the center of the city is Manhattan to a degree it's still somewhat that suburban model.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Jersey City is a SUBURB, with mass transit and it is walkable. There's no set definition of SUBURBAN.

The outer boroughs were all suburbs of NYC/Manhattan before they were ANNEXED to the city. Technically being that people commute to Manhattan and the center of the city is Manhattan to a degree it's still somewhat that suburban model.
Jersey City is a suburb in that sense of the word, but not "suburban" in the way people describe neighborhoods.

And it seems like Brooklyn is becoming decreasingly dependent on Manhattan

Old 06-16-2018, 02:55 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Isn't LeFrak city in Rego Park technically? And yeah, the last time I was in Rego Park it didn't seem suburban at all where I was, it was mostly rowhomes/small apartment buildings.
LeFrak City is considered either Corona or Elmhurst but not Rego Park.

Quote:

The parts of Rego Park and Forest Hills south of the LIRR tracks (that run to the Forest Hills station) are more suburban than the parts close to Queens Blvd. and of course the Forest Hills Gardens area is definitely suburban.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
LeFrak City is considered either Corona or Elmhurst but not Rego Park.

The parts of Rego Park and Forest Hills south of the LIRR tracks (that run to the Forest Hills station) are more suburban than the parts close to Queens Blvd. and of course the Forest Hills Gardens area is definitely suburban.
Some random Rego Park views South of the LIRR tracks:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7249...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7255...7i13312!8i6656

I consider rowhomes to be automatically urban even if they're fancy looking. If these were the same height, but were brownstone

Now I will give you that the crescent streets are mostly suburban, but right to the North of the LIRR you have massive apartment buildings so I don't think you can consider the neighborhood as a whole to be suburban.

Forest Hills South of the LIRR:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7205...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7160...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7211...7i16384!8i8192

Forest Hills South of the LIRR has a lot of rowhomes and apartment buildings, but I will give you that the Eastern portion is mostly suburban looking.

But in both cases, North of the LIRR tracks is super urban

Old 06-16-2018, 03:52 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,694 times
Many parts of Queens, particularly the areas immediately adjacent to Nassau County, are suburban by New York City standards that's the big difference.

Most neighborhoods in NYC have far denser housing stock on average than what you will find in Queens. It's pretty rare to find hoods in the Bronx or Brooklyn that have pop densities under 30k ppsqm and is virtually non-existent in Manhattan, but it's fairly common in Queens. A "suburban home" in the Bronx is basically anything under 4 stories with a private driveway..meanwhile in Queens there are entire zipcodes where pretty much all of the housing stock are single-family homes with front lawns and detached garages.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Many parts of Queens, particularly the areas immediately adjacent to Nassau County, are suburban by New York City standards that's the big difference.

Most neighborhoods in NYC have far denser housing stock on average than what you will find in Queens. It's pretty rare to find hoods in the Bronx or Brooklyn that have pop densities under 30k ppsqm and is virtually non-existent in Manhattan, but it's fairly common in Queens. A "suburban home" in the Bronx is basically anything under 4 stories with a private driveway..meanwhile in Queens there are entire zipcodes where pretty much all of the housing stock are single-family homes with front lawns and detached garages.
Yes there are parts of Queens that are suburban for NYC Standards, however in the context of American cities, pretty much every neighborhood in Queens is urban with some exceptions. And even for NYC standards, pretty much every neighborhood with subway service is moderately to extremely urban. Pretty much all of the neighborhoods along the 7 train are very dense even for NYC standards. Elmhurst and Flushing are among the densest neighborhoods not in Manhattan.

I live in Baldwin, NY (which I would consider to be high density suburbia) and work in Springfield Gardens, I think the vibe is totally different. When I'm walking around SG, it still feels like a city neighborhood to me. Probably because it's dense enough to have consistent pedestrian activity, heavy bus usage, 24 hour delis, etc. It's a much different vibe from where I'm from, which is at the denser end of suburbia.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:12 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:

Forest Hills is kind of laid out like Flatbush. Many blocks are suburban like, and yet many others are very dense apartment buildings.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:15 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Brooklyn also has neighborhoods with single family detached homes, and single family rowhomes as well. Yet Brooklyn is never described as "suburban".
Part of Brooklyn are described as suburban as parts of Queens are. Just that this suburban portion happens to be smaller than the suburban type portion in Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City