Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 09:09 AM

1,110 posts, read 982,206 times

Advertisements

Chinese is extremely diverse. There are insanely rich and insanely poor chinese. There are those who like condos and those who like mansions. Flushing is able to serve all kinds of needs. There are thousands of doctor's office, attorneys, language schools and adult care centers. So it is like a all-in-one for all kinds of chinese

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, most of the general downtown Flushing area is apartment buildings; he’s probably referring to the neighborhoods a bit further out like Murray Hill.

Though what he’s saying isn’t completely true as there are plenty of wealthy chinese who prefer not to live in a house mostly because of issues of convenience and the hassle of maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 09:20 AM

1,183 posts, read 707,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
Manhattan Chinatown is still very much “valid”, whatever that means. Plenty of Chinese residents and businesses. As others have mentioned, the Chinese population in the NY metro area is large enough (and still growing) to support multiple Chinatowns and many people go to whichever is most convenient. I think it’s generally understood that Flushing is the better one when it comes to quality, variety, and new restaurant openings but it’s somewhat of a trek to get out there unless you live in Queens or Long Island. For many others, it’s only practical to go on weekends or to combine it with Mets games. Manhattan is simply more convenient since most people work or go to school there. There have also been a fair amount of authentic Chinese restaurants opening up in other Manhattan neighborhoods (downtown, midtown, uptown near Columbia) which many Chinese people frequent and that make treks to Flushing less necessary.

I’ve heard for years how Chinese food is better in other cities (LA, SF, Toronto, etc) and I always wanted to try them. But it’s the same thing where the supposedly better Chinese areas are a bit of a trek from the downtown areas. I’ve never been able to fit them in my schedule. It also made me wonder if the non-New Yorkers who say that Chinese food in NYC is subpar had ever been to Flushing themselves.

Regarding Michelin, I don’t really pay a ton of attention to those lists but there is a starred Sichuan place in NYC called Cafe China that some view as pretty authentic. There used to be another one as well (Lan Sheng) that was definitely considered authentic. Kind of viewed as a head scratcher to be starred though because while the food was good, the decor/ambiance was lacking and not what you think of when talking about Michelin. Lan Sheng was also not that different from many other Sichuan places in the city. I think Michelin in New York was just trying to include more ethnic places on the list.
I think its an ESL/internet dictionary misunderstanding of the usage of the word "valid." He probably meant to say something like legitimate. "Is Manhattan Chinatown still legit?"

Old 06-26-2018, 10:10 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, most of the general downtown Flushing area is apartment buildings; he’s probably referring to the neighborhoods a bit further out like Murray Hill.

Though what he’s saying isn’t completely true as there are plenty of wealthy chinese who prefer not to live in a house mostly because of issues of convenience and the hassle of maintenance.
There is different level of wealthy and educational/culture attainment so obviously you have to be extremely wealthy and westernized to both afford an entire floor in a Manhattan apartment building and want to live in Manhattan. The average chinese immigrant dream is to live in Bayside/Great Neck area and own business in downtown flushing. Many don't ever travel to Manhattan.

Murray Hill was more Koreantown for me when I visited, they have some of the best korean restaurants in all of NYC.
critics-notebook pete wells explores korean restaurants in queens

Old 06-26-2018, 10:11 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
I think its an ESL/internet dictionary misunderstanding of the usage of the word "valid." He probably meant to say something like legitimate. "Is Manhattan Chinatown still legit?"
I am 100% fluent in English and I would say my English skills are above average, however I chose the word I did because I felt that "authentic" didn't convey my point. "Legitimate" would have been better choice, since this board seems to be mostly old white folk (valid in slang usage means roughly the same thing as legit).

Old 06-26-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
Queens has much larger population than Manhattan. not counting Long island.
Don't know why people keep saying the manhattan chinatown is convenient for most people. It is just not true. People cannot get out of their manhattan centric mindset
Because Lower Manhattan is very centrally located, Flushing is only served by the end of the 7 train. And if you consider Murray Hill and Auburndale to be Flushing, then they don't even have subway access.

Meanwhile the Manhattan Chinatown is serviced by the B, D, F, J, Q, N, and 6

Old 06-26-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Because Lower Manhattan is very centrally located, Flushing is only served by the end of the 7 train. And if you consider Murray Hill and Auburndale to be Flushing, then they don't even have subway access.

Meanwhile the Manhattan Chinatown is serviced by the B, D, F, J, Q, N, and 6
Flushing is served well via bus routes. Downtown flushing is super crowded because it is a outdoors bus terminal. Manhattan Chinatown doesn't have room to grow given the higher cost of living and lack of space. Many single family house get converted to multi-family housing in Flushing.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Flushing is served well via bus routes. Downtown flushing is super crowded because it is a outdoors bus terminal. Manhattan Chinatown doesn't have room to grow given the higher cost of living and lack of space. Many single family house get converted to multi-family housing in Flushing.
Yes but most people prefer the subway over the bus. But my point was that the Manhattan Chinatown is more centrally located still.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:29 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
I think what needs to happen is a 7 train extension given that Flushing has become a sizable commercial center. I think arcing north to College Point and eventually across to the Bronx would be great especially if the LaGuardia airtrain is to happen. An eastwards expansion would retread much of the LIRR Port Washington Branch which itself should be expanded by having a spur built off it after Great Neck to avoid the issue of the constraining single tracked lines after it. A southward turn for the 7 train after Flushing could also make sense though.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yes but most people prefer the subway over the bus. But my point was that the Manhattan Chinatown is more centrally located still.
You are applying your own sensibilities to first generation immigrants that function better within their own culture and first language. Manhattan means more to the professional class than first generation immigrant. My general impression was it was more frequent black and brown people have to commute to Manhattan for the food and retail services sector than Chinese. From an economic standpoint it is fairly interesting how a dollar travels through a Chinatown and can self sustain itself.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
You are applying your own sensibilities to first generation immigrants that function better within their own culture and first language. Manhattan means more to the professional class than first generation immigrant. My general impression was it was more frequent black and brown people have to commute to Manhattan for the food and retail services sector than Chinese. From an economic standpoint it is fairly interesting how a dollar travels through a Chinatown and can self sustain itself.
Chinese people are brown too, but I'm not sure about that. Brooklyn and Queens have a lot of cuisine and services from various black, Hispanic, and Asian ciltures. I don't know if Latinos for instance are any more dependent on Manhattan than Chinese people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City