Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 12:52 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I absolutely do not believe that!
When have I ever said that blacks are all criminals? Are you mistaking me with someone else on this board?

Just as I don't believe that black people are all criminals, I also don't believe that all Jewish or hasidic people are rich or landlords or vigilantes who run around beating up black people.

I don't believe in targeting members of either/any groups.
Demagogues like Farrakhan exploited the fact that in segregated neighborhoods, the only contact that West Indians and AAs had with say Jews was the landlord or with Asians was the small shop owner. The Jewish landlord and Asian merchants of course did NOTHING wrong, and violence or targeting them or ANY group is WRONG period.

This is partially why I argued for true integration in public schools. If kids from these neighborhoods has classmates that were Jewish and Asian they would not believe the LIES that people like Farrakhan and others say, and would know not all Jewish people are landlords or rich and not all Asians are merchants. For that matter, not all Jews are white and many Jews of color. And many Latinos and Blacks are part Jewish (I'm one of them), plus you have historic Jewish populations throughout the Middle East and parts of Africa (Ethiopia, Mali, Nigeria, among others). By better educating people THROUGHOUT the city, the city could use the public school system to end this STUPIDITY.

There are other problems and other misconceptions in other communities as well.

And while I have known anti semitic African Americans, the greatest anti semitism I've met has come from West Indians (the poor/underclass among them, not the educated).

Re: my posts on the education thread, I was not trying to punish kids who achieve well in school and I wish the best of luck. I achieved well in school and ended up with two degrees from top top institutions. But the city needs to better invest money throughout the school system and not just on the top test scores. You don't want people rioting in neighborhoods because ridiculous stereotypes and misconceptions I outlined above, and yes the city could have stopped that before it even started by ultimately having integrated the school systems better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 02:31 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I agree that the POLICE were to blame in this incident. So why not riot against the POLICE, rather than kill an innocent hassidic Jew who was visiting from Australia at the time?

What happened is that the Jewish ambulance, Hatzolah, arrived at the scene first and of course started attempting to save the child (who was the only one seriously/fatally injured in the accident).
Neighborhood black people started gathering around and getting angry, and when the (idiot) police arrived, they instructed Hatzolah to take the rabbi/Jewish driver and leave the child, as they were fearful of a riot occurring (which of course did occur).
The police reportedly said to Hatzolah, "You take the rabbi, we'll deal with the child".
Hatzolah obeyed the police (possibly they should not have? would they have gotten arrested then? who knows), and left the (dying) child with the police/city ambulance, and took the Jewish passengers and left the scene - to the hospital

So, basically, the police made a big mess! (big surprise).
And then when many of the black residents of Crown Heights started rioting against Jews in the neighborhood, the police STAYED OUT of the neighborhood, did not provide any protection to the Jewish residents for 3 days!

(How is that for "favoring Jews"?)
A problem with the police is they are just a reactive force. Of course they should have intervened to break up the riots.

But the cops cannot prevent the problem from happening, they can only respond to it to hopefully stop it from getting worse.

NYC is too segregrated and to divided upon ethnic lines. Something like this COULD happen again.

The city will need to desegregate schools and truly take an interest in educating all kids, and honestly via the educational system directly attack racial stereotypes across the board and in all groups. The educational system SHOULD be about improving the general society, and not just opportunity for a few skilled test takers (not that there's anything wrong with being a skilled test takers).

Anti-semites among West Indians, as I have noted, think of all Jewish people as landlords or rich (particularly the poor West Indians are prone to thinking this way). So when an incident like this happened, it blew up into a terrible riot. It wasn't just about one thing.

Better education COULD have prevented this. Genuine acceptance of people across the board could have prevented this. This is a
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City