Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 07:14 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,469,703 times

Advertisements

That's such a terrible way to die. I do think that even grown ass adults need a safety refresher for the subway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 07:21 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
I would imagine most people are standing close enough to the edge of the platform when a train is approaching that if they had a medical incident like fainting, they could easily fall off the edge.

If trains are crowded and you want any chance of getting on, it's human nature to stand close to where the doors are going to open so you'll have chance to get in. I suppose this also means a higher chance of losing your footing if you were to start falling.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:32 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
I often go to the trader joes on the weekend around that time either on Saturday or Sunday and the north bound platform is never packed. I highly doubt it was an over crowding issue. I also am on the platform numerous times a week during rush hour so I know what its like when its packed.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:11 PM

582 posts, read 763,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I often go to the trader joes on the weekend around that time either on Saturday or Sunday and the north bound platform is never packed. I highly doubt it was an over crowding issue. I also am on the platform numerous times a week during rush hour so I know what its like when its packed.
This! It is not packed at all on the weekend especially in the morning.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Unrelated but another woman fell today, this time off a 75' cliff but expected to live.

https://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/...epage-featured

I'm not being a sexist but a lot of women should avoid being close to a cliff or subway platforms if they are on meds or prone to falls. Statistics shows that other than athletes, more women than men suffer from ACL injuries due to falls.

I fell off the central park staircase near the great pond and I had zero injuries other than a lot of pain on my hips.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:30 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Shirk?

Dig a new track bed for the local line outside of the current one. Lay a new track on it. Connect new track to tracks running in and out of the station. Once that happens the local bypasses the station until the platform work is done. The old track is removed and the platform is extended out to the new track.

Quote:
How can they widen the platform, they can't shirk the train tracks.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:53 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,346,377 times
Quote:
Thank you, hence my earlier comment. How many people are traveling from the UWS to Harlem or the BX on a late Saturday morning? Not very many. Still condolences to the family of the victim and my thoughts go out to the train crew, especially the operator as they'll always remember this day.

The platforms at 72 do become narrow on the ends due to the curves in the station, but there is plenty of room in the middle of the platform and I wonder how close the victim was to the edge. I see it time and time again people standing dangerously close to the edge or peeking their heads to look in the tunnel when there's clocks and audible announcements on when the next train will arrive.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:55 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Thank you, hence my earlier comment. How many people are traveling from the UWS to Harlem or the BX on a late Saturday morning? Not very many. Still condolences to the family of the victim and my thoughts go out to the train crew, especially the operator as they'll always remember this day.

The platforms at 72 do become narrow on the ends due to the curves in the station, but there is plenty of room in the middle of the platform and I wonder how close the victim was to the edge. I see it time and time again people standing dangerously close to the edge or peeking their heads to look in the tunnel when there's clocks and audible announcements on when the next train will arrive.
Yeah, the middle parts of the platforms at 72nd are wide, the ends get narrow

I never stand on the end

I believe 14th Street Union Square is like this too on the 4/5/6.

I guess this is a feature of curved stations.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-24-2018, 01:17 AM

615 posts, read 447,835 times
The 72nd Street platform was extended many years ago.
The present dangerous configuration was not part of the original design.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:39 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Shirk?

Dig a new track bed for the local line outside of the current one. Lay a new track on it. Connect new track to tracks running in and out of the station. Once that happens the local bypasses the station until the platform work is done. The old track is removed and the platform is extended out to the new track.
How often do you take the subway??????
The ceilings are falling apart at stations, major repairs need to be done. Your in Lala land if you think this will happen. Its also not the only station with a narrow platform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: