Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 12:43 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
The area has been increasingly sanitized.

The latest district congressman is trying to attract White yuppie money.

There are the police cameras on the major intersections, they have sent undercover VICE squad busting up underground gambling and prostitution/drug dens.

Now if you are White I would still not walk Roosevelt Ave at night from 82nd to 111th. Anything after 82nd (going in the direction of Woodside) is probably OK.
Your last paragraph is BS, the worst that would happen realistically is you'd feel out of place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Definitely it's nothing like a Latin America city. In any Latin American city the trees, the architecture, etc is different. In Latin American cities people are outside a lot more, and for the most part the cops tend to bother people a lot less unless they go overboard.

There's a lot of other differences.
Plus Jacksom Heights is not really dominated by any one Latino group, most Latin American cities will be largely populated by nationals from that country. Jackson Heights is pan-Latino with a lot of South Asians as well, I'm not sure id anywhere in Latin America is really like that.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:48 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
It's a blend of the World.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:19 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Your last paragraph is BS, the worst that would happen realistically is you'd feel out of place
Agreed! Not to mention one of the beautiful original garden coops, Linden Court, has some units that are no more than 100 feet from 85th and Roosevelt. So to name 82nd as some sort of danger line doesn’t make any sense. There’s also a very nice restaurant La Pequena, that’s located on the corner, or maybe that’s 84th. Planet Fitness is on 86th or 87th and Roosevelt. There are plenty of good businesses that indicate it’s as safe as anywhere else on Roosevelt. Plus there’s really no reason it would be less safe for a while person than a POC .

There were a few newsworthy stabbings near the 90th st stop in the past 5 years. But those are also rare and tens of thousands are in that area weekly without incident.

Last edited by Henna; 07-03-2018 at 02:33 PM..

Old 07-03-2018, 04:50 PM

77 posts, read 64,677 times
thanks, I'm waiting for some cooler weather and then I'll go exploring more. Excited to go visit 37th Ave shops and others.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Agreed! Not to mention one of the beautiful original garden coops, Linden Court, has some units that are no more than 100 feet from 85th and Roosevelt. So to name 82nd as some sort of danger line doesn’t make any sense. There’s also a very nice restaurant La Pequena, that’s located on the corner, or maybe that’s 84th. Planet Fitness is on 86th or 87th and Roosevelt. There are plenty of good businesses that indicate it’s as safe as anywhere else on Roosevelt. Plus there’s really no reason it would be less safe for a while person than a POC .

There were a few newsworthy stabbings near the 90th st stop in the past 5 years. But those are also rare and tens of thousands are in that area weekly without incident.
Exactly. Plus it's not like it's that white East of 82nd st, it's just that there are more South Asians. Maybe that poster has an anti-Latino bias.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:35 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Exactly. Plus it's not like it's that white East of 82nd st, it's just that there are more South Asians. Maybe that poster has an anti-Latino bias.
There aren't more South Asians east of 82nd street then west of it. Also, there is more crime among Hispanics in the area than South Asians.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
There aren't more South Asians east of 82nd street then west of it. Also, there is more crime among Hispanics in the area than South Asians.
Oops, meant to say West

Old 07-03-2018, 08:55 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Roosevelt seems mainly Hispanic to me, regardless of whether you’re on 75th or 85th. For whatever reason, the South Asians seem to have most of their businesses removed from Roosevelt, like on 74th St. itself.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:21 AM

782 posts, read 526,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

The area does gradually get less nice though as you walk east. I don’t know about an exact danger line but I think in terms of subway stops and between 74th and 82nd (plus a couple of blocks in either direction), Roosevelt Avenue always has people and therefore to me, it feels safe. The incident that I described earlier happened between 90th and Junction, and it was absolutely dead and dark at 9 or 10 at night which is what caught me by surprise since Roosevelt is usually bustling throughout the day. Whatever businesses are on that stretch must close by a certain hour. I don’t remember specifically about between 82nd and 90th but my sense has been that it gets more quiet as you walk east and that means it gets less safe.

I don’t know if it’s less safe for a white person but generally speaking (and not specific to this neighborhood), I often think in terms of a person standing out and whether or not criminals might view that person as a target. Like if you look like an outsider, might a robber think you have more money? Might you be viewed as an easier target because you may not know the area as well? Though in the case of Jackson Heights/Corona/Elmhurst, there have been reports of immigrants getting targeted and robbed because they work late and get paid in cash. Probably many more cases that go unreported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: