Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 05:38 PM

782 posts, read 524,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
SeventhFloor said Jackson Heights is what he imagined a Latin American city to be like. 1995 answered no Latin American city he has been to is like that.

You can generalized like that, because anywhere apart of the Spanish empire will have Spanish colonial architecture. That does not exist in Jackson Heights.

No city in Latin America has such a large presence of South Asians.

Citizens of that country will be the biggest group in any Latin American nation. No Latin American city has Jackson Heights mixture of Latinos from different nations.

As noted, the trees are very different. So no similiarities in flora.

Most Latin American cities have a lot more stray dogs out.

You will see a much higher percentage of people selling stuff on the street on a Latin American city. The laws are different, so no need to get licenses to sell stuff on the street.
My god, such weird points to make.

Who compares trees when talking about whether cities are similar? Vegetation is dependent on climate. It's not like all of Latin America has the same vegetation throughout. It's kind of a big area, don't you think?

And the architecture is also not consistent throughout. It depends on the country, city, neighborhood, etc and when they were developed. Some of the areas that I've been to do not have Spanish colonial architecture.

And bringing up the lack of South Asians? Seriously, this is not how people compare cities. Do you really require cities to have the same ethnic mix in order to be considered similar?

My impression of Seventh's comments were that he was talking about the street vibe and culture, not architecture and trees. And even to your point on more people selling stuff on the street, that's just like on Roosevelt Avenue. Compared to the rest of NYC, Roosevelt Avenue has a higher percentage of street vendors and it's because immigrants bring over these practices from home. And this varies anyway. I've been in neighborhoods where there is more street life and other neighborhoods within the same city that don't have much street life.

I don't remember seeing saying stray dogs on any of my visits. So again, generalizing doesn't work. We just have different experiences. Trying to extrapolate and generalize on limited experiences is problematic and that seems to be all you're doing.

Personally, there was one time when I came back from a trip and I wanted to look for certain food items. I went out to Jackson Heights/Corona on my quest and it struck me that my shopping experience felt similar to the city I visited. I don't remember exactly why. It could have been the people, the way they interacted with me, the stores themselves, the street vendors. Whatever it was, I remember thinking it was kind of cool that NYC is full of these neighborhoods where we can experience other countries in a way. Not exact of course, but somewhat.

And to be clear, I had no problem with 1995's comments about his Latin American experiences (assuming he was telling the truth of course). I like hearing other people's experiences. It was his other post where he acted like he was familiar with a neighborhood and then accused someone of being racist/xenophobic. He has done that multiple times in the past and it is so freaking weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 05:53 PM

37,022 posts, read 39,083,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
My god, such weird points to make.

Who compares trees when talking about whether cities are similar? Vegetation is dependent on climate. It's not like all of Latin America has the same vegetation throughout. It's kind of a big area, don't you think?

And the architecture is also not consistent throughout. It depends on the country, city, neighborhood, etc and when they were developed. Some of the areas that I've been to do not have Spanish colonial architecture.

And bringing up the lack of South Asians? Seriously, this is not how people compare cities. Do you really require cities to have the same ethnic mix in order to be considered similar?

My impression of Seventh's comments were that he was talking about the street vibe and culture, not architecture and trees. And even to your point on more people selling stuff on the street, that's just like on Roosevelt Avenue. Compared to the rest of NYC, Roosevelt Avenue has a higher percentage of street vendors and it's because immigrants bring over these practices from home. And this varies anyway. I've been in neighborhoods where there is more street life and other neighborhoods within the same city that don't have much street life.

I don't remember seeing saying stray dogs on any of my visits. So again, generalizing doesn't work. We just have different experiences. Trying to extrapolate and generalize on limited experiences is problematic and that seems to be all you're doing.

Personally, there was one time when I came back from a trip and I wanted to look for certain food items. I went out to Jackson Heights/Corona on my quest and it struck me that my shopping experience felt similar to the city I visited. I don't remember exactly why. It could have been the people, the way they interacted with me, the stores themselves, the street vendors. Whatever it was, I remember thinking it was kind of cool that NYC is full of these neighborhoods where we can experience other countries in a way. Not exact of course, but somewhat.

And to be clear, I had no problem with 1995's comments about his Latin American experiences (assuming he was telling the truth of course). I like hearing other people's experiences. It was his other post where he acted like he was familiar with a neighborhood and then accused someone of being racist/xenophobic. He has done that multiple times in the past and it is so freaking weird.
I think fauna is a mostly minor point when talking about city neighborhoods for most people unless you're deeply engaged in those details or they have a strong cultural experience (like sakuras in Tokyo or London Planes in Shanghai). On the other hand, I think the cultural background of people often does take front and center of a place when it comes to a city as well as its architecture.

No one mentioned the architecture so far, but the garden apartment movement hit a lot of cities simultaneously, but did it in only certain parts of the world and were very much a part of their time period. That's not something that hit a large stride in Latin American cities especially since their urbanization process for the most part came afterwards and they for the most part did not have as strong a British influence.

It's also true that there are seldom neighborhoods in any Latin America city that has as large of a pan-Latin American bent to them as few Latin American countries became a large net recipient of immigrants from all over in recent years. Mexico City has some, and so has Barcelona and Madrid (obviously not Latin American cities, but they received large Latin American populations), but I'm scratching my head in thinking of others. And almost none of these came with a large South Asian, Himalayan and Southeast Asian contingent (and Chinese in nearby Elmhurst). Even if we weren't going for the exact same demographic mix, just having that sizable mix of people from scattered parts of the world is pretty unique.

I agree that 1995! seems to have a chip on his shoulder about racism against Hispanic people. Yes, that's a bad thing, but I think there's a bit of jumping at shadows sometimes.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:30 PM

1,063 posts, read 693,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm sure I'd be fine.
Do it TO-NIGHT.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:04 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,276,131 times
I've spent a lot of time in Corona when I was younger. Probably close to what I1995s age is today. If you are regularly roaming the streets of Corona at 2am, trouble eventually finds you, or vice versa.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:42 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,426,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Do it TO-NIGHT.
I've been in worse neighborhoods at that time.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:56 AM

37,022 posts, read 39,083,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Do it TO-NIGHT.
Why? What's the grave concern over being around the 111th street stop at night? I've literally done what you've said before (though not TO-NIGHT though I have on a Saturday as you first requested). I still don't quite see what we're pointing to here.

The Queens Night Market is basically right off of 111th street and ends at midnight and sometimes thee are still families out there at closing. If you close it out, some will pick up to the few bars around the area especially that next to the station at Roosevelt. I'm trying to figure out what it is you're getting at. Have you done this before or is this more abstract of a challenge for you?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-06-2018 at 01:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: