Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 08:53 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times

Advertisements

Harper's take on how affluence has destroyed NYC....and is having similar consequences in other US cities.

https://harpers.org/archive/2018/07/...entrification/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 08:55 AM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Harper's take on how affluence has destroyed NYC....and is having similar consequences in other US cities.

https://harpers.org/archive/2018/07/...entrification/
So what's the other option? Sit on a dark graffiti-covered C train between stops in Brooklyn with no AC like I did with my mother as a child in the 1980s?

Do you have any clue what Bed-Stuy was like in the '80s??

aww man

scatman where u at???

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-29-2018, 08:58 AM

If anybody wants all this shooting stabbing and killing to continue, they're fools

A large segment of the population has been DENIED ACCESS to earn money

Thats it

You lift that hold and the crime stops.

Vote for the MoD

Old 06-29-2018, 09:06 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So what's the other option?

Just dusting off my old Das Kapital book. Why not organize occupations according to guilds, where independent purveyors and craftsmen can freely exchange by directly facing one another using their own properties and instruments of labor? Are the only choices for NYC to subordinate people to capitalists or the ghetto?

Old 06-29-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Just dusting off my old Das Kapital book. Why not organize occupations according to guilds, where independent purveyors and craftsmen can freely exchange by directly facing one another using their own properties and instruments of labor? Are the only choices for NYC to subordinate people to capitalists or the ghetto?
guilds

I haven't heard that word since 10th grade

LMAO

Old 06-29-2018, 09:21 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,922 times
NYC is still NYC even if we don't like it. If anything, it's more modern day America that people are pissed off about, we just usually don't consider that. We still have mom and pop shops. When I left Chicago, I don't think there was a single one from my childhood around except Gigio's.

I don't like it either, even though I've only been here 8 years. Mad Mike and his speedcore in BedStuy do or die. Shutdown in 2012. Is what it is. Adapt and move on.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:23 AM

Crime was at its lowest in NYC in the 1950s.

NYCHA was great back then. Some complexes were already around for over 10, almost 15 years.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:25 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Probably just some old commie who's made that he's not young anymore

Old 06-29-2018, 10:41 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,386,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If anybody wants all this shooting stabbing and killing to continue, they're fools

A large segment of the population has been DENIED ACCESS to earn money

Thats it

You lift that hold and the crime stops.

Vote for the MoD

I really cannot agree with you on this one. No US citizen is denied access to earn money. My access to earn money was severely limited until I earned a Green Card, but only because I was an immigrant (and that is okay, I understand the need to control immigration) - after that, I was allowed to compete for any job I wanted and knew how to do. Oh right, I was also in training for 30 years, rather than pursuing crime, begging for handouts or having kids I couldn't support. As an immigrant, I would say that the US provides much more access to earn money than any other country I know of, and I just wish I had been born here - my life would have been a million times easier.

I think the problem is just the opposite: people in the US have it so easy that a large segment of the population thinks everything should just fall to them from the sky, and therefore don't want to make even the minimal effort to get qualified for a useful trade, or, at the very least, not have kids they can't afford.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:50 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
I sympathize with some aspects of the article. New York is not as visually interesting as it was in the past and there is more of a money element than ever before.

But I also understand that change is inevitable and the same thing is happening to most prominent cities, both here and abroad. And as some of you have pointed out, not all of the change is bad.

I would guess most people believe New York began and ended with them i.e. they define by the time when they were there. Of course, this is not rational. But emotions are often anything but rational. I lived in New York for most of the 1980s and all of the 1990s. A glorious time. The era of fiscal bust and Son of Sam was over and the Renaissance had begun. But it had not yet affected the uniqueness of the place.

So it goes. New York will always be great, one way or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City