Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 11:13 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
Yeah, that's nuts. That's not the kinda sweat I want.

I remember when I was staying in Queens and I would take the 1 train to Columbus Circle - that was the worst. Those trains rarely had any AC. Now I take the lovely Q to Fort Greene.
The Q is great. Nice new subway cars. I took a 6 train last night that I believe uses similar subway cars to the 1 line that was a sauna. I had to get off at the next stop and walk briskly to the next car which was much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 11:17 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,863,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The Q is great. Nice new subway cars. I took a 6 train last night that I believe uses similar subway cars to the 1 line that was a sauna. I had to get off at the next stop and walk briskly to the next car which was much better.
In the mornings, I sometimes do see the scattering of homeless people on there but nothing insane...

Old 07-11-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
In the mornings, I sometimes do see the scattering of homeless people on there but nothing insane...
On the Q train? Yes, that seems to be a common sight. They must love the new 2nd Avenue stations. All air conditioned. lol

Old 07-11-2018, 12:16 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,863,409 times
Quote:
On the Q train? Yes, that seems to be a common sight. They must love the new 2nd Avenue stations. All air conditioned. lol
That and/or they are coming from the beach, lol.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:40 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
That and/or they are coming from the beach, lol.

Got on the Q at 33rd last week around 10PM on a weeknight. There was a group of young Latino-Hispanic kids with towels, a cooler and other beach kit who got off at 57th street. At first was puzzled then realized they probably were out at Coney Island and either were transferring to the Lexington Avenue line to get uptown on Eastside, or maybe going out to Queens.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:

Not so much the stations (though for months now you can find plenty of homeless lounging about in SAS stations), but fact that the Q is rather a long ride from start to finish.

Starting at 96th and going all the way down to Coney Island is one long subway ride which keeps someone "indoors" and offers a place to squat/sleep. More so if NYPD doesn't clear the train at each terminus. Unless or until NYPD at any point wakes these people up and or otherwise tells them to sling their hook, they can ride that GD train for several hours or all night long.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Not so much the stations (though for months now you can find plenty of homeless lounging about in SAS stations), but fact that the Q is rather a long ride from start to finish.

Starting at 96th and going all the way down to Coney Island is one long subway ride which keeps someone "indoors" and offers a place to squat/sleep. More so if NYPD doesn't clear the train at each terminus. Unless or until NYPD at any point wakes these people up and or otherwise tells them to sling their hook, they can ride that GD train for several hours or all night long.
I thought the NYPD was out and about keeping them out of the SAS stations?They're still sort of "new" so I wonder if that died down?

Old 07-11-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I thought the NYPD was out and about keeping them out of the SAS stations?They're still sort of "new" so I wonder if that died down?

When SAS first opened, yes, there was a heavy NYPD presence at all UES stations night and day. Now that seems to have dropped off. Unless something is going down cannot recall last time saw NYPD at 86th or 72nd street either on platforms or otherwise in stations.

At least once or twice a week get on the SAS at 33rd (after being down in Chelsea or West Village), and only see LE at that station outside (Port Authority) and occasionally on platform but only if something has gone down. This is after 10PM so cannot say what happens during daylight hours.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:36 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Homeless on the Q-trains was more of a problem the first few months of operation as the SAS. I don't see much of it anymore. They must have had some kind of crackdown.

Yesterday I really minded the heat. We took a THird Ave. bus to ALDI's only to find they had their coolers and freezers locked up for a mechanical repair. All the refrigerators are fed by a single Freon line. Waste of time so we spent much less than usual.
Coming home we caught the M15 South (for a free transfer) and it was about 2 PM so no shade. We baked in the sun at the bus stop (long wait) and I though I was close to fainting. By the time we got home I needed a 2 hour air conditioned nap to recover.
Weatherman said it was only 85 (with a THI of 95) but in the sun it felt like 110.

Remember, the time to panic is when you STOP sweating. Sweating is heat exhaustion (feels awful), stopping sweating is heat stroke which can kill.

The older I get, the less tolerant of heat I become.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:17 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
"It's so hot sweat runs down my ass like Niagara falls" (RIP Robin Williams)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City