Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 11:24 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

I had an elaborate "heat pump" system in my last apartment, Jersey City Waterfront. It was heat pump in name only because it switched off heat pump mode and into $$$$resistance mode $$$$ the instant the outside temperature went below 40 degrees and didn't switch back to heat pump mode until the temperature went above 55.

This is to prevent icing.

You can IMAGINE how well this worked in our local Winters.<sarcasm>

I removed the outside thermostat and drew up a graph of the icing point dependence on temperature and humidity (dew point) and operated the unit manually. I found that on the driest days I could get good heat even with an outside temperature of 20F but if it was raining or snowing about 35 F would freeze up the unit and I used space heaters instead. I needed something like a minimum 15 degrees difference between temperature and dew point to run dependably without icing...not exactly sure. I cannot remember if I ever reconnected the outside thermostat. If I didn't somebody had a lot of fun after I left.

Heat pumps suck in our environment: that's why we see so few of them. THey are for the dry Southwest...or Saudi Arabia.

Last edited by Kefir King; 07-20-2018 at 11:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 07:21 AM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I had an elaborate "heat pump" system in my last apartment, Jersey City Waterfront. It was heat pump in name only because it switched off heat pump mode and into $$$$resistance mode $$$$ the instant the outside temperature went below 40 degrees and didn't switch back to heat pump mode until the temperature went above 55.

This is to prevent icing.

You can IMAGINE how well this worked in our local Winters.<sarcasm>

I removed the outside thermostat and drew up a graph of the icing point dependence on temperature and humidity (dew point) and operated the unit manually. I found that on the driest days I could get good heat even with an outside temperature of 20F but if it was raining or snowing about 35 F would freeze up the unit and I used space heaters instead. I needed something like a minimum 15 degrees difference between temperature and dew point to run dependably without icing...not exactly sure. I cannot remember if I ever reconnected the outside thermostat. If I didn't somebody had a lot of fun after I left.

Heat pumps suck in our environment: that's why we see so few of them. THey are for the dry Southwest...or Saudi Arabia.
That partially sounds like a badly designed heat pump--when was this? I've heard that they've gotten quite a bit better.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:16 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Today and likely for rest of week will be weather where a dehumidifier will be of more use than an AC.

Wet, cool and damp weather with temps too low for AC (would have to crank mine down to <70F for it to even come on), but not entirely comfortable without.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:59 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Today and likely for rest of week will be weather where a dehumidifier will be of more use than an AC.

Wet, cool and damp weather with temps too low for AC (would have to crank mine down to <70F for it to even come on), but not entirely comfortable without.
You said it. The worst kind of weather for indoors.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:21 AM

5,121 posts, read 4,971,177 times
SHVT UP and stop complaining about nothing, y'all....

If anyone complains about the heat in NYC again, s/he will be deported to the burning Tokyo...honestly, you are spoiled by mother nature who has a special love for NYC.

Japan: Deadly heat wave continues as temp hits record 41.4C near Tokyo

Old 07-23-2018, 08:26 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
SHVT UP and stop complaining about nothing, y'all....

If anyone complains about the heat in NYC again, s/he will be deported to the burning Tokyo...honestly, you are spoiled by mother nature who has a special love for NYC.

Japan: Deadly heat wave continues as temp hits record 41.4C near Tokyo
We don't live in Tokyo. We can complain as much as we want.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:28 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Agree with Hannah!

Old 07-23-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henna View Post
agree with hannah!
(big grin-it won’t show up as a smilie unless I type something else. HTML bug I guess)

Anyone have any experience with portable air conditioners?

Old 07-23-2018, 10:34 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That partially sounds like a badly designed heat pump--when was this? I've heard that they've gotten quite a bit better.

They were Zone Aire units installed with the new construction in 1987. Rumor had it tha the developer (Lefrak) OWNED Zone Aire.

As they quickly fell apart they were replaced by another brand (forgot name) that were quierter but still the same awful heat pump thermostatic shut-off.

I stopped using them after my first $200 electric bill. (People complained of $400 bills for 1 bedroom...I was more frugal.)

AC was another nightmare: 30 amp/220Volt soclket meant I needed two 15,000 BTU units. Try sleepin in humid Jersey City with an AC that goes on for 5 minutes every half hour, then shuts off and blows wet air back out.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
They were Zone Aire units installed with the new construction in 1987. Rumor had it tha the developer (Lefrak) OWNED Zone Aire.

As they quickly fell apart they were replaced by another brand (forgot name) that were quierter but still the same awful heat pump thermostatic shut-off.

I stopped using them after my first $200 electric bill. (People complained of $400 bills for 1 bedroom...I was more frugal.)

AC was another nightmare: 30 amp/220Volt soclket meant I needed two 15,000 BTU units. Try sleepin in humid Jersey City with an AC that goes on for 5 minutes every half hour, then shuts off and blows wet air back out.
That’s pretty sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City