Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 11:29 AM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times

Advertisements

Do you have other transfer options aside from NYC? Can you do somewhere like Chicago for instance?

What part of NY state are you from? Do you have a good number of friends in NYC?

I think if Denver isn’t jiving with you, then moving away even for what would hopefully be a temporary cut in your takehome isn’t a terrible idea. I can see it being harder to do so as you get older, so if you’ve got a buffer now then doing so now rather than much later can be very sensible, but perhaps somewhere aside from NYC might be a better idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 12:19 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
You seem to be seeing a lot of the women around you as dumb hicks.

Have you considered the possibility of New York women looking at YOU the same way? A stylish New York woman might not view "going home foe a beer and a football game" as anything other than trailer trash behavior.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:16 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Some posters don't remember that the OP already has friends and FAMILY living in NYC that can help him. He's already visited.

I think I have an idea of where the OP is coming from. I've met some millenials here in IT who are originally from CO. I have an older friend from CO and my kids spent summers in the Rocky Mountains. Socializing for all ages does involve the great outdoors, skiing, hiking, white water rafting. They are neither dumb or hippies. There are some New Yorkers who really like that and they aspire to move to Colorado. Too bad I can't set you up with some NYC women your age who like camping and hiking on occasion, but not every weekend, as you say. People in CO do seem to be thin.

Do you aspire to snare some hot chick who follows the urban trends and is a social climber or would you be o.k. with a normal weight social worker or accountant or project manager. I can even think of a single Ivy league educated female doctor (my doctor) who is looking, but she is a bit heavy set, but still "attractive."

I think if you relocate, you most likely will find it easier to socialize with the other out of towners your age, like yourself rather than locals of your own age.

Accept the promotion for the money. Then spend the next year applying for other jobs in NYC. If you find something that has a lower salary by about 10-15K and the job seems "o.k.," then consider making the move. See if you can get an interview for one of the NYC jobs that you are considering with a lower salary and then negotiate or explain your salary requirements. You never know. You might impress the interviewer and get an offer in the future. It's always helpful to network and if you can come for an interview and stay with family for free, even better. While here, attend some networking events, meet-ups in your field, or even a conference if possible. Network as much as you can.

One of my biggest regrets in life is that I didn't try living somewhere else when I was younger and had the chance. It's so much easier to do it at your age if you are unattached and 30 is like the perfect age to try it. In the grand scheme of life, you really don't have all that much to lose and you don't want to grow old with a lot of "what ifs."

Old 07-09-2018, 01:25 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I think I have an idea of where the OP is coming from. I've met some millenials here in IT who are originally from CO. I have an older friend from CO and my kids spent summers in the Rocky Mountains. Socializing for all ages does involve the great outdoors, skiing, hiking, white water rafting. They are neither dumb or hippies. There are some New Yorkers who really like that and they aspire to move to Colorado. Too bad I can't set you up with some NYC women your age who like camping and hiking on occasion, but not every weekend, as you say. People in CO do seem to be thin.
to the bolded - among those who want to do those activities. There is also plenty of socialization that does not include those activities.

I know this not because I happened to know a handful of people from or who have been to Colorado, but because I actually live here.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:55 PM

1,063 posts, read 696,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
LOL, don't forget eastern Europe. Eastern Europe and Russia have some really good decent women.

I'm sorry to say, but Americanized women are probably the worst bunch to pick from!
I am not in that dating scene, but when I hear my friends / coworkers/ family talk, I'm like, "jesus christ! )
Wow you should post on the relationship forum the old Golden girl gals over there would definitely have something to say about that perspective especially given you are a Woman

Regarding Eastern Europe I would say guys should be careful they seem to be shameless when it comes to raking guys over the coals and public drama. My boy got one over on him by a Hungarian, minimal collateral damage but she's with some rich guy in the UK now. They seem more vulnerable to picking up bad habits probably because their culture isn't that far off from Anglo American culture.

Certain nationalities if the Woman comes from a good family there is no way she would be caught doing a green card marriage some cultures have their pride and feel they don't need to resort to that and can be here on there own merits. A lot of Chinese for example set up corporations, money pools and relative petitions to bring their own over.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:23 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Wow you should post on the relationship forum the old Golden girl gals over there would definitely have something to say about that perspective especially given you are a Woman

Regarding Eastern Europe I would say guys should be careful they seem to be shameless when it comes to raking guys over the coals and public drama. My boy got one over on him by a Hungarian, minimal collateral damage but she's with some rich guy in the UK now. They seem more vulnerable to picking up bad habits probably because their culture isn't that far off from Anglo American culture.

Certain nationalities if the Woman comes from a good family there is no way she would be caught doing a green card marriage some cultures have their pride and feel they don't need to resort to that and can be here on there own merits. A lot of Chinese for example set up corporations, money pools and relative petitions to bring their own over.
What those guys should be is REALISTIC. I worked with a man (and it was in NYC, so it's on topic, lol) and at first I was skeeved at what looked like pictures of his hot blonde daughter in a bikini plastered all over his cubicle. Turned out it was his 27-year-old Russian WIFE.

Of course, after about a year she had him bring over her mother, then her brother, and eventually, when her REAL boyfriend got into the country, she left him.

But the guy was around 50, bald spot on the crown, greying, paunch...did you not look at her and then look in the mirror and see who you are and who she was? Beautiful hot woman--you in the mirror. Her-you, her-you, her-you, he should have been able to see this coming a mile away. No sympathy.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:30 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What those guys should be is REALISTIC.
..the guy was around 50, bald spot on the crown, greying, paunch...hot woman--he should have been able to see this coming a mile away. No sympathy.
Maybe he knew all along and was just "enjoying it while it lasts".

Old 07-09-2018, 10:03 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
I think the dude should count himself lucky that he actually gets dates in this century

Old 07-09-2018, 10:07 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Maybe he knew all along and was just "enjoying it while it lasts".
No, he crashed and burned when she dumped him. Developed a coke habit and ended up fired.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:11 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, he crashed and burned when she dumped him. Developed a coke habit and ended up fired.
For real? Oh...that's too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City