Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 03:55 PM

12,751 posts, read 8,213,616 times

Advertisements

Riverdale for sure, though the architecture is not necessarily what you would see in other areas of the Bronx. A lot of the 1920s mansions you find there have more in line with suburban areas of Westchester or Connecticut since most of the area was built on large lots as estates. A perfect example is Wave Hill, Mark Twain's former estate, and the house that John F Kennedy lived in, which is a short walk from Wave Hill. Most of Fieldston in the estate area has lots of housing from the early 1900s. English tudors, mansions, etc., but these can be found through various parts of Riverdale (Spuyten Duyvil, Central Riverdale, Fieldston, North Riverdale, etc.) When the Henry Hudson Parkway came, that's when they started building a lot of the large apartment buildings that you see throughout Riverdale, mostly in the 1960s and up.

I don't know what you mean by East Bronx exactly because areas like Pelham Gardens and Morris Park are in the East Bronx and there too you can find beautiful houses from the early 1900s. Throggs Neck definitely survived the Bronx is burning situation, but the housing still isn't that appealing. Parts of Country Club however also resemble areas of Westchester, with charming houses and no sidewalks. The same is true in Woodlawn.

Actually if you take a stroll in areas like City Island or even Shorehaven you can find lots of bungalows from the old days. It was really the South Bronx that suffered the most from the Bronx is Burning. Basically the areas that are known as safe were safe then as well (Morris Park, Pelham Gardens, Throggs Neck, Country Club, Riverdale, City Island, parts of Pelham Parkway, Pelham Bay, Woodlawn etc.) Pelham Parkway is another area that has some very beautiful architecture and homes. Basically the area called "Indian Village" is definitely worth looking at.

Norwood is another area worth looking at, especially the buildings by the Oval (The Williamsbridge Oval). Lovely little area there, and all of the houses near to Montefiore Medical Center (which Montefiore bought). Norwood however did suffer through the crack era, but most of what was built there wasn't burnt down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 03:56 PM

30,550 posts, read 18,042,213 times
I absolutely love much of the architecture along Grand Concourse. I'd live there if it wasn't in The Bronx

Old 07-08-2018, 04:01 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,422,247 times
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8713...7i13312!8i6656

I'm not sure if these are the houses 7th is referring to, but I like this view a lot

Old 07-08-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8713...7i13312!8i6656

I'm not sure if these are the houses 7th is referring to, but I like this view a lot
For Kingsbridge Heights, I would look around Sedgwick Avenue by the Reservoir. There's some very interesting architecture there that is VERY nice and the stone work is very typical of the area, such as the "Greystone". Take a stroll by 238th and Sedgwick and you'll see.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I absolutely love much of the architecture along Grand Concourse. I'd live there if it wasn't in The Bronx
It was modeled after the Champs-Élysées in Paris. If they gutted a lot of those buildings on the inside they'd really be expensive. The bones are still very good though.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
For Kingsbridge Heights, I would look around Sedgwick Avenue by the Reservoir. There's some very interesting architecture there that is VERY nice and the stone work is very typical of the area, such as the "Greystone". Take a stroll by 238th and Sedgwick and you'll see.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8829...7i13312!8i6656

Marvelous. I'm tempted to take a real stroll of the area right now, but it's going to be dark by the time I get there.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:12 PM

37,007 posts, read 39,060,092 times
Quote:
But weren't most of the buildings in Brooklyn built more recently than the borough merge? It seems like most of the architecture in Bushwick for instance, was built after Brooklyn became a part of NYC.
Much of Brooklyn was built out pre-merger or shortly after the merger and in fact a lot of that was actually only destroyed fairly recently in the last several decades. The larger blocks of apartment buildings such as those on the Grand Concourse in the Bronx were from the 1920s and on, while I believe Bushwick was mostly developed before then.

For some of the infill vacant lots or repurposing, there was sometimes some pressure or restraint to keep the new construction somewhat lower in some parts in order to keep with the general character of the place though that's loosened considerably in the last decade or two.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8829...7i13312!8i6656

Marvelous. I'm tempted to take a real stroll of the area right now, but it's going to be dark by the time I get there.
Yes, that house and a few others near it were exactly what came to mind... Look at some of the apartment buildings too that have the greystone on them. That is very common in the area. You'll find it in Riverdale too, hence names like "Greystone Avenue".

Old 07-08-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Much of Brooklyn was built out pre-merger or shortly after the merger and in fact a lot of that was actually only destroyed fairly recently in the last several decades. The larger blocks of apartment buildings such as those on the Grand Concourse in the Bronx were from the 1920s and on, while I believe Bushwick was mostly developed before then.

For some of the infill vacant lots or repurposing, there was sometimes some pressure or restraint to keep the new construction somewhat lower in some parts in order to keep with the general character of the place though that's loosened considerably in the last decade or two.
I'm doing some searching on Zillow and it looks like most of the buildings in Bushwick were built 1920s and later (with some 00s and 10s as well, but no pre-merger). This would especially make sense in upper Bushwick considering the L train didn't arrive til around that time.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...03_rect/13_zm/

(First two built in 1931 and third built in 1910)

Those 3 were completely random, except that I avoided picking new looking buildings for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yes, that house and a few others near it were exactly what came to mind... Look at some of the apartment buildings too that have the greystone on them. That is very common in the area. You'll find it in Riverdale too, hence names like "Greystone Avenue".
Yes it also looks like there are some nice apartment buildings too. The area has a lot of potential, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets really expensive in the not too distant future.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I'm doing some searching on Zillow and it looks like most of the buildings in Bushwick were built 1920s and later (with some 00s and 10s as well, but no pre-merger). This would especially make sense in upper Bushwick considering the L train didn't arrive til around that time.

(First two built in 1931 and third built in 1910)

Those 3 were completely random, except that I avoided picking new looking buildings for obvious reasons.

Yes it also looks like there are some nice apartment buildings too. The area has a lot of potential, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets really expensive in the not too distant future.
That's the area also called Van Cortlandt Village and it looks like a village in parts too. The areas along Segdwick and just off of it are quite nice, but it quickly turns into a ghetto shortly after you go south of the reservoir, so just be aware of that. I wouldn't venture anywhere past the reservoir heading south. 229th is sort of the "buffer".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City